Which Large RC?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamz9561

Proud Short Bus Rider
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm looking at buying a Large scale RC in the near future. I live in the Upper Rio Grande Valley with the sand and the sticker burrs. I'd like to keep it under $1500 without upgrades or radio.

Well... From what I've been reading, you can't go wrong with the 5B. Parts are everywhere, and the following is huge on the large scale forums...

5B all the way man.

Not a nitro but IMO better bang for the buck, flat out. these things are like miniature tanks, definitely worth the extra cash in the long run. You think your Savage is tough? Wait till you get a load of one of these things, and they look and roll AMAZING in sand/dirt.

I love my 5b.. With all that sand by ya, itd kick major ass!!

From all the vids I've watched, th 5B looks like a blast in sand and loose stuff. However, the shocks are reported as fragile and I've seen many front arms/axles snap right off on bad landings. So your going to want to stock up on a few parts before you get rough with one.

The Baja 5b might be my next purchase but I have to say I'm extremely happy with my FG Monster Truck!

-Michael

Olds, supposedly HPI fixed the weak arm problem a little bit ago, and replaced them with stronger ones. I think I got the batch with the stronger arms, as I have landed pretty damn hard on the front and only broken a steering knuckle. I got 3 of those now!

Hey get a baja I have two now did have three but hooked a kid I sponsor up, the only thing that has gone wrong on me was servo gears and tire getting ripped up and well it was all my own doing not the car this thing rocks

I have to ask because i am what you all.....ohh whats the name....ohh yeah cheep. What about this one on ebay for 500 bucks. It is 1/5 scale and comes with radio and everything. It looks like the 5b but with an ugly red body on it. Anyone know about these??

Do you have link to the fleabay sale item?

Looks like a Smartech to me. A bad knock off at best. They even use HPI's tires and rims! LOL

Nooooooooooooooooooo Dont Doooooooooo Itttttttttt Breaks To Easy And No Parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to wonder when they have to put this in the auction,

ALL SALE FINAL

Olds, supposedly HPI fixed the weak arm problem a little bit ago, and replaced them with stronger ones.

That's good to hear. I doubt I'll ever buy anything over 1/8 scale though. Aren't there a few places that make aluminum arms for it anyway? That may help since there's so much material. Even though in most cases bashers shy away aluminum, but on the 5B, the parts are so large and beefy that aluminum may hold up quite well.

Or wait until flex tech comes out with some...

New guy here,I'm interested in buying a 5B.Where is the cheapest place to buy?I have built a few show trucks now I want to get into the 5B Monster.Any sugestions?

BUY A BAJA THEY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:buggy1: :buggy1: :buggy1: :fro: :fro: :fro: :fro: :fro: :fro:

Yep as posted before get a baja I'm out at the coast camping and ran my baja tonight in the sand man these things love the sand when it is smoothe and damp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will try and get some pictures tomarow...

Well, after purchasing a Baja 5b from another member (thanks again Nitro Buzzard), I had it out to play today. I've kind of been busy after trying to take care of things with my father's estate and haven't much time to play. After about half a tank of gas through this beast and a torn skid plate, I was all smiles. I now understand why everyone that owns them loves them!

hmmm i think i need to get one. seems like a ton of fun. with the real gas cars lol.