What truggy? Help me choose?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC48

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well some of you may know that I have to sell my nice MP777 w/Novarossi P5 (anyone interested) cause I gotta put some cash into a car I just bought. I am not at all a nobbie and I most definetely want to stay in the hobby and I have always loved buggies. As much as I love buggies they really aren't that practical for where I drive but I love the quickness and handleing of them, so I'm looking at a truggy, or the XLB. Something that can run stuff over lol. Right now my choices are:

Hot Bodies Lightning GT RTR
Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium RR RTR
GS Storm SUT
XTM Racing XLB RTR

Right now I am really liking the Lightning GT or the XLB. The XLB is nice because it comes with a SH .28. I want to stay under 500$. Also Keep in mind I have a Wasp .28 that I would put in the Lightning GT, and probably sell if I got the XLB. Whatever I get it will only be used for bashing, no racing at all. Which do you think would be the best bang for the buck?

Thanks!!

Oh and please don't tell me to get a Savage or any MT, I've been there and love the beefyness, but I want something that will turn a little better :)

Revo turns like a truggy. Trust me on this one. Ultimate Hobbies has them on sale for $439.00. Keeps you under the 500 limit nicely. Run it hard for this season and next spring get a bigger motor for it.

I really want something 1/8th scale with a big ass engine lol, like the XLB (or 1/7th in this case). Don't get me wrong I really like the Revo but I want something more like a buggy as far as suspension, engine size, looks and so on.

Yeah, I understand. Revo always looks so puny next to my buggies.

Buy a used buggy and upgrade it with a truggy kit.

Really don't want to go used, haven't had the best of luck going used. Everytime I look at the XLB I want it even more lol. Everyone has been saying how powerful the SH is too. RCCA radared the XLB at 46 mph and it wieghs 10.6 lbs. They said with a gear change it could easily hit 50 mph, something to consider :)

What I like about the Lightning GT is it has dual steering servos...but the XLB has the X-175 steering servo...I can't decided! lol

I have a lightning stadium rr and the thing is amazing. It handles like a buggy but its faster. I love it. If you want vids I can shoot some sometime. Any questions ask away.

Yea vids would cool. The GT looks better for bashing though, its got bashing typewheels and tires. And the dual steering servos too...

Hey vb, how is the handling compared to a regualr buggy?

The only downfall with the XLB is tires,there are one set thats it. If thats not a problem,go for it. That and ground clearence. If it were up to me, dont know which one I would want. HB parts are a PITA to get. The Storm is OK, the XLB looks cool.....

The Lightning Stadium is one awesome truck. I watched a guy race one of these in Florida, and right out of the box no one could beat him. I'd buy one right now if I had the cash to do it! :D

Last edited:
as of right now it handles better then my buggy. I can't figure out how to get my buggy set up right now and Its pissing me off. But the truck is amazing it powerslides through corners and jumps just like a buggy. I definatly do not regret going this route!

that lightning Stadium is one bad mutha trucker.......I know you guys have a thorn about this guy but my friend rich beat Bobby moore and scott Beiswinger the 2004 MT national champions w/ one....everyone at mills pond calls it the cheater truck....LOL....I know if my mutant doesn't get finished soon I am itching to get one myself...It sucks up bumps like a revo and jumps and turns like a buggy.....

u might was to wait and see how the new ofna Jammin MT (truggy) does. i know it took 1and 2 recently. rumor has it are roughly 500 for a kit but theyshould release an rtr soon after.

My Main worry with the Lightning Stadium is the wheels and tires. What kind of wheels fit on there? If I could upgrade the tires to something better for bashing I will have to put some serious thought in to one. Sounds like a great truck. The Lightning GT is pretty much the same but it has bashing tires and 2 steering servos, only down fall is the crappy ass tuned pipe...

I really wish you could get dirrerent tires for the XLB but it wouldn't be a deal breaker cause those tires look OK for where I drive. The knobs aren't like on the Bowties where they are extremely tiny...idk I still can't decide lol.

Looks awesome, my worry is how it would do bashing like I said. Looks like an awesome race truck, but the GT or the XLB looks like they are better basher trucks. Or am I wrong in saying that? :shrug:

The Lightning ST's can use any T-Maxx style wheel and tire combo. From the beatings I've seen these things take, I'd have to say that they'll stand up to just about anything that bashers do.

So technically they could use 40 Series wheels and tires?