Thunder Tiger EB-4......Yes? No?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroaddict

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay guys - i stopped at my LHS yesterday, and while chatting, he told me that he had this EB-4 KIT that needed to go away. The thing is breand new in the box. He wants to get rid of it and is willing to sell it to me for only 190.00!!!

Is this something i should jump on? i know the thunder tiger buggies are pretty popular over in Europe, but I dont have much knowledge on them. Give me some opinions as this is almost too good a deal to pass up. Plus, its a kit, which means i get toi build something again, my favorite past time.

hello?? anyone, beuller? beuller?

if you have a extra paycheck or something, GET IT! Thats probably the best deal I've heard of. The Kit version is about $450. You could always sell it for that amount on ebay. GET IT!!!

i know 190??? wow. where the hell is blazer - he can give me some links.

damn pdf file was so bad, i couldnt read any of it, lol. i am curious as to the mm of the shock towers, and chassis, and whether or not it is 6065 or 7075 alum.

there is a guy at our track that runs the EB-4. he swears by it. i don't know why. i have no personal experience with it, i just know the name because the engine-pro guy likes it. he had one for four years and beat the crap out of it. he just bought another one rescently :shrug:

rob - know anywhere i can find info out about it?

i know nothing. i would guess that the tunder tiger site might have something, but i'm sure you checked that. i think i'd pass on it. you have that storm pro. that's a beefy buggy. invest in a better engine and you're good to go.

yeah - but its just SOOOO cheap! lol.

i need a better engine - but i have a hard time dropping 270.00 for that damn VZ

Get it, I went down to track a week ago for the races, and the order of Qualifiers were
1.eb-4
2.eb-4
3.MP-7.5
4.eb-4
5.Storm
And the Winnar was:
1.eb-4
2.Storm
3.MP-7.5

Thats not saying much about the kit though.... obviously the EB4 boys can drive - that's all that tells me.

But yeah, I know one or two guys who have stuck with the S2 for a while, and another guy I know has an S2 pro - and I haven't heard anything but good comments about them.

For that price, i'd say F yeah, go for it dude!

Nitroaddict - if later you do go for a new engine.... it might be smart to go for a WS72 or something for the price. The OS's run, tune, and go very well - and I love mine to death, but for the price... the RB will simply go faster, take more heat/lean-running than the OS, and last longer.

NA, go for it man. I don't see where you could go wrong with a NIB kit for $190. You can always upgrade to the S2 Pro parts.

Well known by now that I am partial to the OS engines. Alot of good things are being said about the new VZB. I'm sure it will be my next engine. However, if you don't want to spend that much on an engine, for about $50 cheaper you can get a RB S7 which is an excellent engine for the price.

Off topic, but what have you heard?

I run a V01B currently, and have been doing so for quite a while. The engine has the smoothest powerband ever, you can set and forget for tuning, and runtimes are decent. Torque down low is great, mid pulls strong, and the topend is pretty typical of a buggy engine, a little lacking for me perhaps.

When the V99 was replaced by the V01 a while back, the V01 had very little power difference, in fact it ran pretty much the same. That left me pretty skeptical about how the new VZ-B would go, and the price is still high as. Can you tell me otherwise? lol

I love OS, but I might go for an RB next time.

thanks guys - i already had him put it aside for me - now: if i could only sell my RC10GT..........hint hint.

I cannot affors the OS RZ or the RB mills, more than i can spend, ecspecially since i already have a storm pro. it has an RG in it which i just sold, so now I'm gonna have two buggies, and no engines, lol.

Anyone else know a good, reliable .21 that is cheap? i dont need a pull start, i have a starter box.

Low end is supposed to be the same, more mid and top. Cooler running temps and about 1 min more of run time. Go to http://www.sgrid.com/ and go to the offroad conference and then to the OS engines thread. Alot of guys on there talking about the VZB.

NA, you don't have a buggy race scene down there in Orlando. If you're just going to bash, look into the Hyper 21 8-port engines. The only downside to them is the cappy stock carbs. I can hook you up with a O.S. 20e carb for $20 + shipping from a guy here locally. I run the OS 20e on my hyper 21 8-port and it really helps the tuning issues tremendously. Another downside of the hyper 21 engines are the pull starts, as we've seen in person. If you have a starter box, get the non-pullstart and you're ready to go. I think you can get the straight 8-port for about $140? Since you have a starter box, you hunt around for the 8-port Race version like I have (OFNA one). It has a little more power than the straight 8-port.

It's a great bashing engine (lots of top end). I think i need a little more bottom end for racing, but it gets me around the track. The thing slowing me down right now is my poor (non-existant) driving skills.

-Rob

thanks rob! low end grunt is still more important to me than top end though, however, i imagine i can solve that with a lower pinion gear, yes?

For the price, the 8 port race is a winner, but those extra few dollars spent on an OS will get you real manufacturing quality, a smoother powerband, and a lot, lot more power down the bottom. Did I mention the OS is easy to tune (err.. quite unlike its half-priced opposition)

Gearing can only do so much... along with clutch settings. The real kick down low can only come from an engine that is capable of it.

Again, for the price the 8 port can't be beat, but if you have the money, there are advantages to be had with the pricier motors.

uDi - although i appreciate your comments, it seems to me that you continuously answer my threads, without reading them all first. I am very familiar with OS engines. I currently have 2 of them. But as I previously stated i cannot afford the RZ model, nor any of the other bad boys, ,IE RBConcepts, Picco race, ect...

Thanks rob - i am looking into the 8-port, anyone have personal experience on the Orion Wasp .26? My LHS will sell it to me for 120.00 ???

Back