TRX 2.5 is a piece of poop

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JATO

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
does anyone else agree with me it takes so long to tune then it will come untuned again so you spend your time tuning your truck and not playing around.

I had the 2.5R in my Revo and while it was a little finicky it wasn't bad. It's just very sensitive and needs very small adjustments. What kind of problems are you having?

I've had issues with the 2 I've had the pleasure of owning... or displeasure... Some people have good luck with them. I'm not one of them.

The last one I ran was in my revo. It would start and run ok, but it had a really weird idle problem. It would stay rev'd and not drop down to idle for about 10 seconds when I let off the gas. Basically, it was just annoying. Other than that, it was ok. Not a real powerhouse or anything. But it made a good wintertime engine because I don't care about it.

the problem i have is it will idle then i give it some throttle then it stalls or sometimes it won't shift to 2 gear.

it not shifting probably has nothing to do with the engine its probably your geabox out of tune

supercharged said:
it not shifting probably has nothing to do with the engine its probably your geabox out of tune

WHAT! Tuneing has every thing too do with shifting..
I was at my LHS yesterday..There were 3 revos there with the same problem.They would not hold a tune.And would not shift right.

From what I have heard, there either really good engines, and people live and die by them, or there poop.. Unlucky enough, I got a poopy one as well. Save yourself the headache and just upgrade.

ZANDOR said:
WHAT! Tuneing has every thing too do with shifting..
I was at my LHS yesterday..There were 3 revos there with the same problem.They would not hold a tune.And would not shift right.

revos don't seem to hold a gearbox tune very well
was at megamaxx's one day everytime he did a run up the road the shift point was different

also he said some times it wouldn't shift so i'm guessing he may have the problem i mentioned above which isn't always related to the engine

If your engine is not tuned right, especially if it's running rich, it won't shift or take really long time to shift. How much fuel is through the mill? How much tuning have you done to both needles? Have you tried going to factory settings and working from there? If it's dying when you give it gas I'm almost betting you need to pull the carb off and seal the base.

anyone of any good mills that will drop right in or any that are coming out in the near future

I've seen the 3.3 run and wasn't overly impressed. Even after tuning it for the guy, it just didn't have much gitty up. Granted, it was pretty new with only a few quarts through it, but it seemed really doggy.

My 18TM in my revo has a ton of punch to it and it seems to rev forever. Although, I noticed a big jump in power when I switched out the stock pipe for a Fantom revo pipe. Also a huge jump in noise... It's louder than my mammoth with an OS 21 RG and the XTM tuned pipe.

I switched from a CVEC pipe to a Trinity on my OS .18TM and I swear it's a new engine! Thing runs like a raped ape and the temps stay right at 230-250 with minimal tuning required!

Mine was the same way MW. Makes me wonder what it would be like with the 2.5R and the new pipe... I'm way to lazy to find that out. I'll probably throw the 2.5 back in when it cools off outside as my winter engine. Then I'll find out. But the fantom pipe totally released the beast on the 18TM. It had a lot of power before, but now it's downright rediculous. I geared it up a little to make it more controllable, but it will still pull easy wheelies on concrete with 15/36 gearing.

The cool part is that I won the fantom on eBay for $5. Cost me $9 total from Hawaii. The seller said the pressure nipple fell off. I jb-welded a new one on and all is well. It's a $60 pipe! I was bidding on the trinity when I ran accross this. I figured for $5, why not?

JATO said:
does anyone else agree with me it takes so long to tune then it will come untuned again so you spend your time tuning your truck and not playing around.

The very last traxxas I have EVER owned, I learned from the first time. Pull anything electronic or that POWERS the vehicle, that says TRX on it.

olds97_lss said:
Mine was the same way MW. Makes me wonder what it would be like with the 2.5R and the new pipe?

It will be a different engine. My first Revo with the 2.5r wasn't all that great, it ran fine but the power was far from impressive. I put a Trinity pipe on it and it liven things up. Personally I have had good luck with the 2.5, I have owned at least five of them without real problems. As for the 3.3 it really starts to perform after about a gallon through it.

Jato it sounds like your running a little rich, thats the most common reason for not shifting. If you want a drop in engine that WILL IMPRESS try the Picco .26 Max, it's probably the best thing next to converting to a BB.

my 2.5 is great so far in my revo, has some amazing power for a .15! I'm having problems with wheelies on mine!(still running the stock pipe and gearing)

it is pretty reliable too and can be a bit touchy when it comes to tuning but if you just take it slow and turn in very small increments its just like most other engines. (dunno if the tnt mod helps with the tuning at all?)

and yes mine does have a habit of sometimes not shifting for a couple of laps round a track, then the shift will just come back, very strange, and can be annoying, but is fine for the rest of the day, just has an eppy for those 2 laps then is fine.

i have also sealed up the backplate, carbneck, and did the exhuast port for good measure, now on the same tune i can't even get it to move its that rich! so i did have an airleak somwhere.

but as most people have said, there are good and bad ones, and I've found, they can be a bit picky with what fuel you use through them.

The 2.5r I had in my revo ran great. I sold it to Mr. Will, I'm assuming that it still runs good. I bought the 3.3 and am very impressed. It doesn't have the instant snap like the OS does, but it is very very smooth. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

i just had a stupid idea but how big do they make the mr.nija series engines. and also would it be better to get a drop in big block or is getting a conversion a better way to get more power. also this is for bashing and racing at my local track. i just want something to make the guys at my hobby shop who think there trucks are amazingly fast to poop there pants. there isn't really a price limit

Last edited:
Mario Rossi engines are made up to .21. There are 2, one for onroad, and one for off road.

rccars411 said:
Mario Rossi engines are made up to .21. There are 2, one for onroad, and one for off road.

There are 3 Ninja Mills.

MR21 B01
MR21 R01
MR12 T01

Last edited: