How long Does a Engine last? On average

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mach it depends on how hard you run it, how often you run it, fuel, and maintnence. The list goes on.

like bandit said if you run it a tad rich, and make sure no dirt gets into the engine either by fuel or air then you will have an engine that will run good for a long long time. You also have to take your time when you break your engine in do it exactly the way the manufacturer says to do it.

Ok nvm i should have know i was gonna get a conditional anwser

How about asking "how long will a well taken care of, tuned engine, not run in extremes last?"

Will that question give us a time frame?

I would have to agree with vb

Ok I Clean my air filter every day when packing up....I run tempetures in the 240 range...I check my plug frequetly and i make sure it is tuned..........

Is that better??? Ok I already have run a gallon and a half through it and it still purs like a kitty.... I was just wondering about when i should expect to pinch or replace the piston and sleve or just spend some money and get BIG engine.

It also depends on the engine make. From what I've read, some of the top $ engines (novarossi, RB, Sirio...) last on average 8-10 gallons if well taken care of.

A lot of the cheaper engines (Mach, xtm, OS...), they seem to last around 3-5 depending on care.

This is what I've read. I've gotten 7 gallons through an OS 15 cv-r (more if I hadn't of traded it, it was still running well), 2 gallons through an OS 21 RG, a gallon before I gave up on my trx 2.5.

As for my current engines, I have about 2 gallons through my orion wasp 18 and coming up on 3 gallons in my omega 21 comp. The omega is still shiny pistoned and has enough pinch to get stuck TDC. The wasp doesn't have much compression left, but still runs ok.

Damnit I have a mach Which relly sucks..... Since you have had a XXX-nt What should i do when my engine gives up........Get a new one???? If so what kind of engine...

If you have the mach 15, I wouldn't suggest dropping the $ to rebuild it. I did that on my xxxnt when I had it, the engine never ran right afterwords... I put in a new P/S and conrod and it ran like crap.

The OS 15 cv-r(x) is what I replaced it with. I then proceeded to run 7 gallons through it. I traded the truck with the engine at the beginning of this season, so I didn't have a chance to run anymore fuel through it. I ran the crap out of that engine.

Once, I ran it for almost 8 hours straight without shutting it down. I did, however, shut it down 3 or 4 times to go take a piss and eat lunch, but otherwise, it was running. That was a good day. I had about 4 gallons on the engine before that week, I ran a whole gallon through it that week. I love vacation!!!

Anyway, it was a good solid, easy to tune engine. But I never got wheelies out of it like I've seen others have with thier ST's. I don't know if it was the oil/spring setup I had or if the engine just wasn't strong enough. It was definatly strong enough to lose control of the truck. IMO, it was more powerful than the mach 15 that came in it.

Out of the 7 gallons, I ran 5 of trinity MHP 20% and 2 of wildcat eliminator 20% Nitro, 16%oil (or 14%, can't remember).

when i get a new motor id like to get a .12 so i can race with it.....Ne sugestions of a .12

Not I says I. I'm a basher only. I put in what I can afford and what kind of fits. Those are my only 2 stipulations.

so in other words you dont really have ne sugustions

olds97_lss said:
It also depends on the engine make. From what I've read, some of the top $ engines (novarossi, RB, Sirio...) last on average 8-10 gallons if well taken care of.QUOTE]

Too many variables to pinpoint, but the above quote is the most accurate. NOTE that includes "if well taken care of."
7 gallons is about the point that you can start making plans to rebuild or replace in the near future.

Where do you work that sucks so bad.....?????

I got 5 gallons on my 2.5 before I had to replace the P/S and am working on the 6th gallon thru my Sirio 18 and it's still running perfect.

I am going on my 7th gallon on a Siro Kanai Edition. I have a sharpie in my tool box that I use to write the number on the new gallons as I get them to make it easier to keep track.

I have the picco p3 and mine is still going stong after 18 Uk gallens still pulls wheelys on a 18/49 ratio with me savage

Mark

Back