Just did break in procedure for revo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Aguilar Garcia

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys, yesterday i got my revo, and today i performed the complete break in procedure as marked by traxxas. This is one sweet truck, i just have to adjust the 2 speed, it is not shifting at all, but other than that it ran great and the suspension just soaks up eery curb i throwed at it.. revo rules!!!

Glad to hear!

Before you go adjusting the 2 speed though, get some more tanks through it.

I've seen times where approximately 12-15 tanks had to be run through an engine to achieve the RPM's necessary to hit second gear. My first TMaxx was around tank 9 or 10 and a couple savages took 11-15 tanks. Never had to adjust the tranny.

Just something to consider.

Very true. Don't adjust it yet until you get the engine totally broken in. It will begin to shift as you break it in and lean it out. :)

LennyDude

You should wait a few tanks before doing anything to the tranny. But I don't think it should take 10+ tanks to do it. My savage did it on tank #5 with the stock factory settings.

Jeez... thanks you guys, this is my first car with a 2 gear tranny, i was very very worried for tranny not shifting, I'm very glad you guys brought that out, thankz a lot

Did it start shifting on its own?

How many tanks total?

Çh®i§tiªñ said:
Did it start shifting on its own?

How many tanks total?

Carlos,
This info is important for us to know.
The Revo is a new truck with a new transmission design.
The info your getting here is based on experience with the T-Maxx transmission. We need to start getting feedback from Revo users so we can help answer questions for others with the same issues.

Please post your findings.

Thanks.
-Ed

Well I've ran a total of 7 tanks,and still no shifting. Actually 6 and a half tanks, because today on my 7 tank, the truck got to 400 degrees F, so i shut it off imediately, i dont now why this temp, since i am running the stock needle setings, i haven't moved them. After the head was cool enough i try firing it up again, but obviously the glow plug was messed up, since this was my spare plug, i had to call it off for the day until i get some more plugs. My first glow plug (came with truck) fouled just when i was about to complete the fifth tank during break in. So I've run a total of 2 plugs. The first one was the one that came with the truck, the second one i used mccoy #59, ill try some different plugs and let you guys know which one resulted the best....

did breakin on my revo, would not shift.turned adjuster screw counter clockwise 1.5 turns,shifted great. remove hsn clean seat , remove tank , clean out,turn hsn out 4 turns and tune from there. this should cure your heating problems.

AC48 said:
You should wait a few tanks before doing anything to the tranny. But I don't think it should take 10+ tanks to do it. My savage did it on tank #5 with the stock factory settings.

I am just now getting my Savage to run well after about a gallon.I also bought upgrades os I am not sure if that made a HUGE increse in power.

Wow 400 degrees isnt the max your supposed to run close to 270?As for adjusting the tranny, I am nto sure because I don't know anyone that has one.Maybe it isnt running fast enough to shift?I know my Savage would shift faster if I ran it on smooth pavment then if I ran in on my rocky gravel driveway.

Last edited:
Hey guys, i just posted some pics of my revo, check my gallery.... anyway, i got some new glowplugs, and will be driving the revo later this afternoon, ill let you guys know how it went....

hey its me again, with some new news as some of you asked me to keep you posted............ today was a weird day, I'm still running the factory's 4 turns out on the hsn, and the temp was 270~280, i opened the hsn half a turn and the temp droped to 260. I installed another washer to the glow plug, kinda like a shim, and temp dropped to 230, but i can't lean out the carb because of the high temps........ and the trany still isnt shifting as i ran my 10th tank.... traxxas guy told to adjust the slipper clutch, but i still dont want to mess with it, tomorrow i think ill try and adjust the shift point screw.... any suggestions on what to do, any one??

I just got a revo... WHATT!!! Sick...! :boxing: Anyway, I hope I didn't rush into having a bramp attack buy following the video's instructions but I don't understand why after running it for a few minutes the rpm's get stuck really high... Then if I go full throttle and when I slow down it shuts off... :shrug: I am so confused about this tunning the engine... Can someone please tell me why it runs so high in rpm and gets stuck on a load... It sounds terrible but hopefully I didn't do something wrong... :hammer: