Quick help: Difference between 2.5 and 3.3 transmission/ which engine can I use?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazeworks

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi!

I hope that one of U can help me!

I made a conversion from a smartech to a t - maxx and it ended up that I nearly had to buy everything new.

I even can´t use the old smartech tranmission.
That´s why I have to buy a traxxas transmission. I was wondering what the differences between the 3.3 and 2.5 are. Are they in the same case?
If U want to sell one. fell free to post me. Is there enything I must consider getting a transm. at ebay?

I bought a rd logics chassis. Fits that all engines or is there a limit of ccm due to engine size?

If this question was already asked i am sorry. But english is not my native language and I didn´t found it then.

Hope U could help me.

Thanks

Last edited:
the 3.3 and 2.5 tranies are differant. but i dont know which is better. I have the tmaxx 3.3 truck. Which i think has the same tranie as the revo. again not absolutly sure maybe some finenite differances

3.3 gray transmission is the better transmission. They are on ebay brand new for about $50 USD, try to get one with the FOC (forward only conversion) already installed.

2.5 transmissions=BLACK
3.3 transmissions=GRAY

If your rdlogics chassis looks the same as the one below, it fits smallblock engines only....I'd recommend a traxxas 3.3.
TMX005_B.jpg

Hi!
Thanks so far.
Yes, that´s the chassis I got.
Which size are the small block engines?
from 2 ccm to 3 ccm?
Will both transmission will work with any size of engine.
Or works the 3.3 transmission only with the big engine?

How many kinds so T maxx sizes are there?

TNX

1.5 2.5 2.5r 3.3 is the 4 sizes they came in.

gray tranny is the strongest, I wouldn't waste my time with the 2.5 black tranny no matter what engine I got.

Theres other smallblock engines besides the traxxas engines you could consider, i don't know much about any other ones though.

okay... thanks.
2.5 r is the same than 2.5 but with reverse transmission?

If the grey and the black tranny are basicly the same I will try to get a grey one. But I need this info for sure cause I have to pay lots of money to get these items shipped.

To show U my problem I have to photos for ya

xm9z62mt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

uyaporqe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As U can see the engine can´t be mounted properly cause the tranny is in it´s way to get propper mounted. Otherwise the tranny can´t change it´s place otherwise the disc brake wouldn´t have enough space in the main frame.

May be one of you can send me a picture of his / her t maxx showing the exactly position of the chassis as my pictures do. So that I can get an idea if the smartech tranny is really different or why the stuff I have doesn´t fit.

When I saw some other trannys they actually didn´t looked that different do the smartech one. Couldn´t image that smartech developes their own tranny...
That would mean that my engine is to long....!!!

Could some of you tell me how long their engines are? Mine is about 9 cm from enginebackplate to engine gear shaft.

rxpbs4zq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks

Last edited:
I really need to know the size of the t maxx engine.
It would be great if someone just could me the size of his engine!!!

TNX

that tranny looks IDENTICAL to the tmaxx 2.5 tranny. Its gotta be the same. Your engine however, is longer than the traxxas engine. I'm too lazy to go out to the shop to measure now but I'll do it tomorrow and post up.

You CAN run the 3.3 traxxas engine with the 2.5 tranny......if you install the FOC (forward only conversion) $10 I prefer to run what I got till it breaks rather than buy something ahead of time :)

another thing, does that engine have a crankshaft extension for that huge clutchbell??

hi!

Thanks... I will need an engine than and not a tranny..
Yes the engine has teh extension for that cluuch bell.
I would only need the normal t maxx gear shaft and clutch but I never came across a gear shaft at ebay auctions or something.

Any ideas getting a good cheap engine with everything installed (clutch, clutchbell, starter, etc.)

Thanks

So...why is the clutch bell so big? Why couldn't you just switch out the clutch bell and ditch the extension and keep the trans you got? Explain please, cuz that is driving me dee da dee.

I wasn´t sure if it´s the tranny or the engine which is the problem.
Yesterday I figured out that the tranny is identical with the t maxx one. (thanks to the people who answered on my thread).

I could keep the engine if I get the complete t maxx engine stuff. For example:
clutch friction block, clutch bell, the ball bearings for it, especially a new engine gear shaft the old is to long!!!! I don´t know if I can keep the taper sleeve, gasket of engine wheel and engine flywheel either.

All words taken from exploded view of my engine. I hope U know what I mean.
As I said I came across flywheels and clutches at ebay but not on the engine gear shaft which I am in need of!!!

To your question why the clutch bell is so big?
Smartech puts the tranny a little bit more to the front. Same with the engine. But they put it a little bit more to the front than the engine. You have to install the extension clutchbell otherwise the engine can´t reach the tranny....

Last edited:
Are the clutch shoes just as wide as the clutch bell? If so, I'd MAKE it work! LOL, imagine it...you'd prolly never have to replace the clutch shoes again if they were that big.

jepp that would be nice but it isn´t. the height of the cluch bell is exactly 1 cm. that should be more than the t maxx clutch isn´t it?

can you get a good picture of the engine crank/driveshaft with the flywheel and extension off?? It may be as simple as getting a tmaxx flywheel/clutch assembly which IS CHEAP!!

paste this into ebay search 370115419002

ps I'm going out to measure it up here in a bit.

HI
Thanks a lot. Nice auction but the seller won´t ship to Europe.
I will try it gettingthe things of and post a picture here.

Hey Cool!

Thanks. so far.
Interested in selling that engine?? ;-)
It is exactly that 1 cm/1.5 cm which my engine is to long...

Thanks

heh I just bought it :)

I'll sell ya my whole tmaxx tho!! Its going up for sale as soon as I get it back together.

take your flywheel and every thing else off your driveshaft and post a pic....

Hi!
I thinks it´s no use getting the flywheel off. They must have used screwcement and i don´t want to damage something.
I don´t know If I get a complete new engine with clutch /-bell and so on or get me a clutchbell set for the t maxx. But unless I don´t have it I better won´t make any attempts getting the flywheel of my engine.

ANYONE INTERESTED SELLING A T MAXX ENGINE WITH CLUTCHBELL AND STUFF TO ME? SHIPPING TO EUROPE MUST BE AVAILABLE. PAYMENT WITH PAYPAL NO PROBLEM.

search ebay for 270304735598

I bought my engine from the same guy............he ships to canada so he SHOULD ship overseas, shoot him a message and ask nicely he might.