Nitro Cleaner VS Brake Cleaner

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooky

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just wondering if i can use Brake cleaner from Auto zone instead of getting nitro cleaner. because brake cleaner is cheapper and its avaliable from more places...

do they work the same? am i gonna damage any components or plastic if i use brake cleaner??

Brake Cleaner will Destroy your plastics and your electronics.......a freind of mine used it on his new emaxx and destroyed the entire truck.

ewww, thanks for that important piece of information.

i will just get some more nitro cleaner later. =)

Nitro cleaner? this to clean crap and grease n grime from your rig? if so, use a little cup of nitro and q-tips with rags.

But yeah brake fluid is terrible as far as cleaning, I used DOT 4 fluid to strip paint from a lexan shell and it was a disgusting slimey ass mess. Stick to hobby grade cleaners for your rigs, using industrial or automotive "things" can sometimes result in failure.

I use carb cleaner on the metal parts, but with caution.
Anything else just gets a good wiping off, because sooner or later it will be taken apart and cleaned properly.

Stop, stop, stop.

Go to WalMart, get the big concentrated bottle of Simple Green, and a spray bottle with measurements on the side. Mix Simple Green according to directions. It'll cost you maybe $5-$10, and last longer.

I use carb cleaner on the metal parts, but with caution.
Anything else just gets a good wiping off, because sooner or later it will be taken apart and cleaned properly.

+1, I think the averange teardown/clean is every 3-6 months, never past 6 months. Just make sure if you do tear it down to clean, you know what your doing and dont tear the entire rig down and turn around and say "errr, how did this go again?"

You will get the most life out of a TLC'd rig

You can use Electric Motor cleaner. Or Denatured Alcohol and Q Tips.

---------- Post added at 3:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:32 PM ----------

Go to WalMart, get the big concentrated bottle of Simple Green, and a spray bottle with measurements on the side. Mix Simple Green according to directions. It'll cost you maybe $5-$10, and last longer.

Or Simple Green!

Also brake cleaner is really bad for your health.. the fumes are cancer causing when they evaporate. My autoclass teacher was talking about how bad brake cleaner is for your lungs and that usually if you do use it you need to wear like atleast a gas mask of some sort.

Also..if nitro cleaner isnt easy to come by carb cleaner electronic safe wont hurt.. but i would mainly just use it on your engine and areas where electronics arent open.. even tho its electronic safe i still feel like its better off not chancing it.

Carb cleaner works great on the engine, especially the can with straw to get in those tight places.....it evaporates pretty quickly so it is pretty easy clean up

starting fluid leaves less chemicals and doesn't do anything to plastics.

starting fluid leaves less chemicals and doesn't do anything to plastics.

That's just plain stupid. Starting fluid is Ether. Ether is highly flammable and harmful to breathe.

Ether has been used by people for years, and yes it is dangerous but only if you huff it up your nose or spray it while your in a small enclosed area.

oops, well i never spray anything wight at my servo.

just the engine and the chassis of the car. sometime suspensions. with nitro cleaner.

i guess i will try the Q tip with nitro fuel idea after i used up my nitro cleaner.

flammable? so? the nitro you run in your rc isnt? i have worked with flammable stuff from 1965. eather has a flash point -49 f, this causes the eather to disapate so fast its realy safer than other flammables.

I cannot see myself using ether for rc cleaning, that is crazy. Especially in an enclosed area like a garage or rc room.

I use nitro cleaner and zep degreaser from home depot.

I tear my rigs down and take all the plastic parts and put them in tupperware containers and soak them in Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. The metal parts I use carb cleaner or "gasp" brake parts cleaner. I do this outside of course on my back patio. After the plastic soaks overnight I use an old toothbrush to get the really caked on stuff off rinse and reassemble.