TRX 2.5 is a piece of poop

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, i was referring to the .21s that there are only 2 of them.

Installed OS .18TM, in my Revo got very pissed off at the 2.5R, also have a 2.5 in my Maxx, its doing the same thing the 2.5R was doing, I believe we have the same problem----an air leak somewhere. As far as the motors go OS blows the 2.5R away on speed, running, all the above!! Trinity pipe also.

OS is by far the best way you can go for sport and racing for small blocks. they are almost 100% noob proof. And as we all know, last a long long time!

well can you guys give me so opinions on what to put in my truck that will just crush anything. i think the fastest guy at my track has a .21 wasp or bigger there is no price limit and for a big block what is a good chassis conversion for the t-maxx and another question do .21 racing mills put out more power than poopy .28 say mills

that generation of engines (wasp) were made by toki. Toki had a generation of bad engines being sent out and sold. Some of those to look out for are Fantom, Peak, and Orion's older engines. Orion switched to Picco after time (according to RCCA) because of problems.

.21s are perfect for buggies. But as far as .28's go, its all about power! You can gear them taller with a .28 because of the torque you are getting out of it. .21s however, get all the R&D because its the legal engine in racing for 1/8 buggy.

Sorry for the rambling, but hopefully it was semi useful to you.

What do you look forward to doing? If you do want to go BB, i am suggesting something bigger than a .21. You'll have the power to bash and race, not to mention, it'll be cheaper over a .21 But if you want to strictly race, throw a hot .21 in there.

JATO said:
well can you guys give me so opinions on what to put in my truck that will just crush anything. i think the fastest guy at my track has a .21 wasp or bigger there is no price limit and for a big block what is a good chassis conversion for the t-maxx and another question do .21 racing mills put out more power than poopy .28 say mills
Two words---Nova Rossi and tuned exhaust. Also check R & B mods, they have built engines, and you can send them your engine and mod it to put out serious power.

https://rbmods.net/rbshop/product_info.php?products_id=33&osCsid=3b8cb7e0fdea09120adcaa4fb40a6a4f

Check this .21

https://rbmods.net/rbshop/product_info.php?products_id=159&osCsid=3b8cb7e0fdea09120adcaa4fb40a6a4f
If I had the money this .21 @ 3.05HP!!!! This would be ordered!!!!!!!

http://www.2coolrc.com/detail.aspx?ID=567

Maybe this chassis?????

Last edited:
i'm curious as to what dyno they used to get those horsepower numbers.

The OPS based Radical is a good choice. Similar as to what Andrew smolnik uses, his is a OPS.

I've never heard much of anything good about OPS. Someone on another board was talking about how a few guys literally threw them in the trash.

As far as coming up with numbers over 3HP, a stock Nova pushes that out of the box, so it's not too out of line to see a modded mill claiming it.

As for the after thoughts I am just getting items for someone that asks for help to look at////////

jetmechG550 said:
I've never heard much of anything good about OPS. Someone on another board was talking about how a few guys literally threw them in the trash.

As far as coming up with numbers over 3HP, a stock Nova pushes that out of the box, so it's not too out of line to see a modded mill claiming it.

It comes out in May, reasonable priced, out of box. Just giving suggestions. rccars411 knows what I am taking about, we are to help each other>>>>....

Last edited:
JATO said:
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg2068.html
Check the OS engines also, I have a new .18TM wouldn't be without it.

JATO said:
what is a good chassis conversion for the t-maxx

I didn't realize this thread was about a t-maxx... Personally, I wouldn't waste my time trying to put anything larger than a 18 in a maxx. The diffs just can't handle it.

If you put anything in that maxx that puts out more than 2hp, your screwed. Unless you go with 1/8 scale diffs. The stock diffs or stock/RRP gears with aluminum diff cups and diff cases can't handle the power for a very long time. Then again, if money is no object, go with FLM bulkless (and possibly 21 chassis kit) and 1/8 scale diffs along with some 1/8 scale buggy shocks. But, by then, you might as well have spent your money on a decent truggy that was made for the power in the first place.

Some of this is my opinion... most of it is proven fact by myself (in reference to the drive train)

supercharged said:
revos don't seem to hold a gearbox tune very well
was at megamaxx's one day everytime he did a run up the road the shift point was different

also he said some times it wouldn't shift so i'm guessing he may have the problem i mentioned above which isn't always related to the engine
I have 2 of these gearboxes one has a OS.18TM, it shifts same speed every time. The other one has a 2.5R and it will not shift right if not tuned properly. I installed the forward only conversion into each of them exactly. I am thinking the gearbox shifting is shifting from torque, the 2.5 doesn't put out the right torque unless set perfect which is hard or impossible to do, just a thought????

olds97_lss said:
You know the shift point is adjustable right?
Yes I know, but do the others know???

Last edited:
REVOTMAXX.18TM said:
It comes out in May, reasonable priced, out of box. Just giving suggestions. rccars411 knows what I am taking about, we are to help each other>>>>....
I know what they are, when I said I never heard anything good about them I meant that as they are pieces of poop.

jetmechG550 said:
I know what they are, when I said I never heard anything good about them I meant that as they are pieces of poop.
Sorry for blowing off, I had first talked off the nova rossi, they I don't think are on the bad list.

Last edited:
REVOTMAXX.18TM said:
THIS IS HOW THREADS SEAM TO ALLWAYS END UP, GETTING OFF THE SUBJECT AND NOT HELPING EACH OTHER!!!!!!
Hmmm, first off, I'm not the one yelling. Second, someone posted about Ops engines, I stated what I know about them (I consider that helping someone out by letting them know not to waste thier money). Third you've come to this site and have done nothing but stir the poop. You come off like a know it all, yet, you don't know poop. Honestly I can't believe you have last this long here. So needle nuts, in case you can't see it I'll point it out for you, you are the one taking this thread off topic, not I, not Olds, not anyone else...JUST YOU

jetmechG550 said:
Hmmm, first off, I'm not the one yelling. Second, someone posted about Ops engines, I stated what I know about them (I consider that helping someone out by letting them know not to waste thier money). Third you've come to this site and have done nothing but stir the poop. You come off like a know it all, yet, you don't know poop. Honestly I can't believe you have last this long here. So needle nuts, in case you can't see it I'll point it out for you, you are the one taking this thread off topic, not I, not Olds, not anyone else...JUST YOU[/Q

Thanks LOL

Last edited:
Nice edit, I guess you realized that your can't make threats on the public forum. Dude it's a hobby, lighten up and take it as such.

REVOTMAXX.18TM said:
YES I DO BUT DO THE OTHERS ALL KNOW???

I don't know... I was just asking you. A lot of people overlook the "simple" problems and overcompensate by throwing money at it or giving up in general.

I for one will be the first to say that I have not had good luck with TRX 2.5 engines. I can get them to run, I can get them to idle, I just can't get good power out of them within a reasonable temp range regardless what vehicle it's in (t-maxx or revo in my two cases).