Savage XL Off-Road Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Assassin

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I started up my Off Road XL Build, my Savage X Road Rage is just about finished, I'm waiting on a custom painted GT Gigante body & my Tremor/Phaltlines Wheels to arrive after blowing out 2 Blast/Phaltlines that were not belted. So I figured Id piece together my Off-Road truck.

The plans are for the Truck to be a Off road basher. Hit jumps and ride over crazy terrain. So far I've kept the Build simple and use proven mods, stuff I've ether tested out already or have seen tested.

DSC00025.jpg

Part list so far

FLM XL TVPs
XL Bulks with CED Diffs
XL Drive train
RPM -2 degrees Front Upper arms
RPM 0 degrees Rear Upper Arms
HPI Front & Rear Sway Bar kit
HPI Big Bore Shocks
HPI XL Spec Roll-Cage
Alloy Chassis Braces Front & Rear
Alloy front carriers and knuckles modified for more steering travel

Sitting on
Blue Groove Dual Offset Wheels on Dirt Bonz

I really like how the 4 BB shocks allow the TVPs to be fully seen, the XL spec TVPs from FLM are sick. I've not seen another aftermarket TVP set at full XL spec (from reputable aftermarket companies) Id like to see some if anybody knows of any that are high quality., these are sexy, I like the LCG TVPs on my RR Truck, but these look sooooo much better IMO.

Just waiting on a few bits to get it all together, then I'll fill the radio box.

My Proline Flow-Tek Body arrived today. The lid is for the Traxxas Slash, and fits quite nice. The Blue Groove Wheels allow the body to fit perfectly without additional trimming. I will however trim the back end some more. The reason is in order to have a clean access point on the top for the glow ignightor I had to position the body slightly back from optimum. I will trim the back side of the wheel well to compliment the back end fitment.

Its not painted yet, I'm about to start masking it up for the paint job I'm going to do, hopefully it comes out alright. It's going to be the craziest scheme on my Trucks, more detailed then Shelby Stripes.

P1000457.jpg

P1000458.jpg

P1000455.jpg

P1000458.jpg

P1000459.jpg

P1000456.jpg

And then I added the bumpers for mock up, and did some additional trimming.

Here she is with the final trimming done, and bumpers mocked up.

P1000464.jpg

P1000468.jpg

I think it will be too tight for a STD length X, BUT a LCG Extended it fits perfectly, arguably the best fit.

Damn good lookng so far, even with the Flotek lid.

Its super sad about those Floteks, they are designed to stop most parachute affects but actually had WAY LESS parachuting with the stock Slash body (fully vented flotek)

Nice job so far though friend.

Damn good lookng so far, even with the Flotek lid.

Its super sad about those Floteks, they are designed to stop most parachute affects but actually had WAY LESS parachuting with the stock Slash body (fully vented flotek)

Nice job so far though friend.

I got to try a slash one of these days.

I was thinking cut out the full windshield & rear windows, that with the additional trimming & I should be good. Ill let you know how it runs on a Savage XL.

Cheers :)

looking good bro.. can't wait to see it done..

Thanks! Going to put it together over the week, I have to instal the 2spd & get grease in the bulkheads. Oh and I have to pick up paint, lol that's going to be important.

I have a 3spd prepped to go in if I don't like how the 2spd tops out with the Engine and Pipe, just doing some testing.

The Engine is going to be a OS30VG & ERCM Belly Bleed. I'm running the pipe off my Savage RR for testing, I'm going to order one for it but un polished

sounds like its gonna be a beast.. what would be a good tuned pipe for the 4.6? any suggestions?

WOW that body fits the XL so perfectly... nice choice thats a nice look. Never would have thought to try a sc body. i would think that an XL would be to long for a slash body but i guess slashes are pretty large trucks...i would even consider getting something like that for my x but honestly i think it may be to long lol it fits the xl so nicely I'm sure on the shorter x it might look wierd.

WOW that body fits the XL so perfectly... nice choice thats a nice look. Never would have thought to try a sc body. i would think that an XL would be to long for a slash body but i guess slashes are pretty large trucks...i would even consider getting something like that for my x but honestly i think it may be to long lol it fits the xl so nicely I'm sure on the shorter x it might look wierd.

Yeah been planning it out since I put one on the truck while back at the LHS when I first got my Savy. Finally got the build coming together & searched the list of SC lids for the Slash, the SV Raptor is another nice one, but the Flo-Tek is using similar lines to the Bulldog I have on my 8ight-T RR so figured I'd grab it. I've got 5 Trucks being built at the same time so one tends to delay another from time to time.

Back