Redcat Racing vs. Exceed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcnut143

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Still looking into a 1/10 nitro buggy thats cheap. I'm looking at the Exceed Xtreme and the Redcat Tornado BB. I want something thats under $200. I've heard good and bad things about both. Any opinions?

If I were you I would take option A(Look for a good well know used rc for under 200$) OR option B(Save up a little more and get a great RC from the beginning.)

Going cheap on your ride can cost you BIG or be a complete loss.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to help save you a bit of cash in the long run.

If I were you I would take option A(Look for a good well know used rc for under 200$) OR option B(Save up a little more and get a great RC from the beginning.)

Going cheap on your ride can cost you BIG or be a complete loss.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to help save you a bit of cash in the long run.

This is the best advice anyone can give, trust me. You buy cheap, you get cheap.

With a well-known brand like Kyosho, Traxxas, or even Duratrax, you can easily get parts for the model.

Redcat, Smartech, and other other el-cheapo brands... Well, your only options are the garbage can, buy a whole 'nother identical model for parts, or a tube of jb weld and some zip ties.

head over to RCTech.net

they have a really active for sale section. you should be able to find something nice, just check it out.

Can't speak to the buggies, but my son has one of the Exceed Nitro on road cars. Seems to be a pretty good car. He has bashd it around quite a bit it the first year and hasn't broken anything (yet). The only thing he has done is lost a dogbone. The LHS said they believe it may be a knock-off of another discontinued car, and feel certain that parts from other cars will fit it. It's just a matter of taking the car to a hobby shop with people who are knowledgable and let them help you out. Or, you can order parts that are direct fits from the website. I know, it's a PIA not to be able to go pick a part right off the shelf at the LHS and have your car ready to go in a matter of minutes. But all in all, the Exceed car seems to be pretty good.

I'm leaning towards the redcat. They are USA based, have an engine replacement plan similar to Traxxas, and from what I can tell HPI parts can be used as a direct fit for most applications. And from other forums I've gathered that people that own exceeds like them and everyone that has never heard of the name or seen any of their products discourage anyone from buying them because they assume they're junk.

if i may speak from expirience.. i use to own a redcat.. i got rid of it soon after.. they are great products, but it takes WAY to long to get parts. My LHS didnt even carry parts. their parts are VERY cheap and break extremly easily. i stripped three gear boxes in three weeks and all i was doing is running it up the street and back down. i installed everything correctly and it was just bad news.. but if u dont mind waiting weeks and weeks from a website that is usually out of stock.. redcat is fine..

just my 2 cents

and if u want a buggy cheap?????? rcuniverse.com has a vast marketplace.. i trade some of my trucks on there and usually get a great deal

here is another member that has had bad expiriences https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50511

Yeah I've seen that post before Swarm. And I also am a member at rcuniverse. I found a firestorm with 3 tanks though it for $175. I have an RS4 and love HPI's customer service so I am considering that too. The only thing is that I'm apprehensive about buying used. It was a kit and I dont want to buy anything thats been put together wrong and I dont want to spend the time fixing someone else's mistakes. Has anyone had trouble with the firestorm?

Buying used is a great way to get a quality rig for a good price. It is a great way to save and have extra cash left over for hop-ups.

Bottom line is that you as a buyer must be diligent and ask questions. If the seller does not respond or is shady on the answer, then perhaps you should pass. Caveat Emptor.

You should always do a tear down of a used rig to make sure there are not any broken parts that can’t be seen and to familiarize yourself with your new rig.

they are great products, but it takes WAY to long to get parts. .. but if u dont mind waiting weeks and weeks from a website that is usually out of stock.. redcat is fine..

just my 2 cents

I've ordered parts from http://www.raidentech.com/exrccarrepa.html and they have always been in stock. Prices are reasonable. They are in California, and I am in Ohio. Has never taken more than a few days to get the parts. If money is not an object, yea...I'd say buy something else. But if you're a man on a budget, then Exceed is a very viable option. I don't know that I would want to tangle with some of the higher end cars or buggies on the race track. But if you're bashing, there's nothing wrong with Exceed. On the other hand, if you can drive the car, and don't make many mistakes, you'll be right there at the finish line with a reckless driver and a kick ass car.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen some great rigs on rc universe for dirt cheap... pm me if u want some help finding a nice rig on there.. my honest advice is get something ur LHS has parts for.. i can't stress that enough

Exceed Xtreme has great support if you go to the manufacturer site. they support all their products of the exceed line. Go to www.nitrorcx.com... this is the manufacturers site for exceed where You can get a nice 4x4 with a .18 engine delivered to your door via ups for $181 within a week. they are in California. they also have a motor program & if you want to buy a new motor, they are only $60 new! I have a buggy, truggy & a 4x4 truck. the buggy is 2 speed & fast up to 60mph! They come ready to run other than glow stick, fuel & batteries for the radio set but the starter kit is only $15..... The other exceed sites charge more for the cars & shipping but the manufacturer site is cheaper. they do carry other models like planes, tanks, helicopters, cars, boats, gas & electric. Yes they seem cheap but do support all their products fully. So far I have found they are pretty tough & run super fast. they are advertising a beginners 10th scale for $99 ready to run & has a .16 motor in it but can be upgraded to an .18 motor. worth at least checking out the site. They also accept money orders & have tracking for all ups shipments...fast delivery. One 10th scale truck only cost me $12.18 for shipping. dealing with the manufacturer is a lot cheaper.

RE: exceed nitro manufacturer site

If you want to buy a decent but cheap nitro or electric r/c truck, buggy, plane, boat, helicopter, I am leaning towards exceed. check out the manufacturers site first. They sell cheaper & support all that they sell & the parts are listed with each vehicle listed. I have 3 & are great. they ship by ups only with tracking for your order. the shipping cost is just $12.18 to your door!. Your buying from the manufacturer & not a sub site that charges more. they have a motor replacement program as well as replacement motors for just $60! I have heard some bad reviews of red cat lately.....check it out...I just bought my 3rd10th scale truck for only $181 delivered to my door in 1 week...They also have 1/8th scales too.They are in California....the trucks are pretty durable & can go up to 60mph & are originally hsp...they also accept money orders... good luck

www.nitrorcx.com

Last edited:
I would tend to agree with going the used route. All of the guys that I have purchased used (and well loved) vehicles from have been fantastic. If you have any questions you can check their trader feedback on the posts. I've gotten incredible deals on vehicles ($650 for an HPI Baja 5b). So just look around in the for sale forum here.

ya there alright but i like the red cat lightning but ya there prety good first cars but if u want a bang for ur buck get a jado. but its really up to u

Get a used mainstream brand vehicle rather than a new cheapie.

I have the Exceed RC buggy. I can tell you this. It runs well but when it breaks, it costs 7 dollars for shipping on a part that costs 50 cents and could probably be sent in a paper envelope.

Recently it seems I can't stop stripping spur gears. The gear mesh is tight as can be without that grinding thing you get when they're too tight. (thickness of a sheet of paper) Either the teeth strip or the tooth on the second gear that holds the two-speed shift hook snaps off.

Bottom line, if I were you, I'd get a more expensive brand that has better parts support.

Back