Basement bashing on Chirstmas went smelly!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throttle

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well I just finished my Hpi Micro RS4 and raced it a little on Thursday night to prepare it for my late night Xmas Eve bashing. I go to my basement and mopped the floor and setup my track. Then I prep the car for some bashing and I connect the battery and turn it on. I go and test the servo and nothing. I smell something burning and turn it off. I fried my ESC and I don't know why. Can anyone tell me why my ESC burned up? My battery was plugged in correctly and they are only AA's. It's brand new, I've only run the car twice for practice. Can someone help me out here? Thanks.

Scott.

Check all the wires and make sure nothing heated the jackets together...I've had that one happen...usually when I use cheap connectors on a mean Motor bat combo..

WOW!! I though someone was running their 1/8th in a basement! LOL,this is in wrong forum.....1/18

psunitro said:
WOW!! I though someone was running their 1/8th in a basement! LOL,this is in wrong forum.....1/18
Thread moved to 1/18th forum...

Sorry to hear that Scott... Check your solder connections on your ESC.. I've heard of people switching wires around, causing meltdowns...

Sorry about putting this in the wrong forum,I thought I putting it in the 1/18th. I'm just pretty pissed off or in this case pissed on. This is why I tested the car on Thursday night. The electronics are all brand new and I checked and double checked my connections when putting it together. I also checked them after this happened and its all connected correctly. I'm going to have to take it to my LHS and I hope they just replace it and not send it out and then I will have to wait for two weeks. The LHS are the ones who suggested my setup that I have so I'm hoping they will just replace from stock. And one more question for those who have an RS4, my steering tends to wonder after every run and I have to adjust all the time and I think it's the servo moving around. Any other suggestions of mounting the servo other than two sided tape? Thanks again guys. Scott.

Well I returned my ESC to the LHS and they looked at it and said it was an internal circuit board issue, so he called tech support for Futaba and now I have to wait 2 weeks to get it back. I would think if you are an authorized Futaba dealer you could just give me one from stock and the LHS could return the ESC to Futaba and replace the returned one to there stock. I sometimes do not understand the advantage of buying from a LHS when you have to wait for them to ship it out and get a new one from the manufacturer. I have to say that I'm kind of pissed that I have to wait. Thanks for listening.

Scott.

Well, be happy your lhs sent it back.....I haven't found to many hobby stores that will send anything back for you, they make you do it yourself. Crap, they even give you the number to call them yourself.

GilBeQuick said:
Well, be happy your lhs sent it back.....I haven't found to many hobby stores that will send anything back for you, they make you do it yourself. Crap, they even give you the number to call them yourself.
yup My new Noak XXL FM receiver crapped out on me and I am still considering getting this fixed. They want me to wait 2 weeks to get an EVALUTION response and then if I qualify to get a new one back. Sometimes I wish I bought these things used so I wouldn't feel so bad about buying new. 2 TIMES it happened to me.

Sorry to hear your pain man!

Jon

I can't say that I'm happy that other people have had such issues but it just doesn't seem right that if you sell the product back it up. This is my grief with this hobby, if the product sucks or the manufacturer sucks let the consumer know. If I bought a new audio or video componant and it sh#ts the bed after one day,you bet your a$$ I would be pissed if they wanted to send it back.
What they do is replace within 30 days. I think they should replace within 30 days of purchase "if there is no abuse". It's seems every year that goes by the consumer is getting more and more fiddlesticked. Yea that's right, I said it fiddlesticked. It's bullsh1t that you pay all this cash and nobody will back the product they sell.
I know this paraphernalia is bought to abuse but come on, let's put every situation into perspective. If the product isn't abused like in my situation, just replace it and keep the customer happy. It's getting to be a bunch of BS when I have to wait at least two weeks to drive my ride with all new electronics.

Scott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I have calmed myself down and I do like the LHS that I deal with. I just think that if your a good customer that they would try and resolve this issue quickly. I quess I need to realize that this is how issues are resolved in this hobby. Thanks for for letting me rant.

Scott.

I stopped back at the LHS Thursday and they had to call on the status of my ESC at Great Planes. Great Planes said they just received the ESC(after almost two weeks) and will look at it soon. This is BS. I'm going to buy an NTC3 this spring and when I do it will be through Towers. A friend from work bought an engine through Towers and it crapped out the first week, he returned it and had a new one within a week. I'm going to talk to the owner when he gets back from vacation and see what he will do. If he tells me to wait for the ESC then I'm done buying from them. I used the ESC for one day and they have to return it and I the customer has to wait. What pisses me off is, they have them in stock and they could give me one out of stock and replace their's when the ESC is returned. WHAT THE H3LL HAPPENED WITH KEEPING THE CUSTOMER HAPPY.

Signed

PISSED OFF :angry:

I did finally get my Micro RS4 body painted. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Candyman and Imbroken. Your info on painting helped me out big time. I should've put on a little less paint on the first three coats and let them dry longer. I did have some paint creap under the masking tape and that was my fault. Also a little overspray on the front fender. I know I rushed myself,so next time I'm going to allocate three days to do the next one. Hopefully this spring I will attempt another body but in a 1/10th scale. The one on the right is the M3 I was trying to copy. Well here's some pics:

Last edited:
Looks good....how'd you get that checkerboard pattern on there??

I cut out individual pieces of masking tape on the roll itself and then pulled each piece off the roll and installed them on the inside of the body before painting. It took me about 2 1/2 hours just to tape the checker pattern. I used blue masking tape. I am also considering picking up an air brush for the next body.

Scott

The body looks good Scott. I haven't done a micro body before but I can imagine how hard it has to be to tuck all that stuff inside a small body. So I say good job. The first few are always a learning experience. But each one gets better.

Thanks Candyman. I listened to what you and Imbroken told me and it worked great. I just needed a little less paint on the first few coats and more time to dry and I think it would've turned out better. I'm just glad I tried it on a 1/18th scale body. The price is cheap for the bodies,so when I screw up I'm not as upset. I will pickup an NTC3 this spring and try a 1/10th scale body with something more intense.

Scott.

Back