how to make a nitro off-road car faster

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cameron

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hi
just wondering as I'm going hopefully to my LHS tomorrow,what is the best way to make a off-road car faster. I can't buy any fuel because I'm not old enough.I also dont want to buy a taller clutch bell or spur gear because i dont want to remove the engine(i have never taken the engine out,I've owned the car for a month under 2 years)The car is the XTM XT2 and at the moment,everything is stock,i dont mind buying anything for it as long as i dont have to remove the engine,if your not sure if i would need to remove the engine to make the mod you think of,just suggest it. I could change the exhaust but I'm not sure which one to replace it with,if you know please let me know.if i do decide to get a new exhaust,are these worth the money-http://www.extremercmods.com/pipes
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Pulling the engine is no big deal really. I've been in the hobby for all of a month now and I have torn my savage down twice. As long as you get the gear mesh right (very easy) then you have nothing to fear. Consider it atleast, you never know you may have to remove it one day like when you strip your clutch bell, might as well bite the bullet. A better gear ratio is the ticket to manipulating your low end power and high end speeds.

Try a tuned pipe, that's easy to change it your not too confident with the oul diy. What size engine is it

it already has a tuned pipe-http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/2005/FS_Main.asp?SelectedTab=040
and the engine is a .247 4.1cc size
if i went from a 14 tooth clutch bell to an 18 tooth clutch bell keeping with the stock spur gear which I'm sure is 46t,how much faster would the car be

Last edited:
On my savage I went from a 17T Bell to 15T bell and from 47T Spur to a 52T Spur and it now has a slower top end, I had to adjust my 2nd gear shift point.

Reading the manual with a 15T Bell and 52T Spur it is easier on the engine, less strain.

The 17T Bell and 47T Spur definitely worked the engine harder and was faster.

You will have to check to make sure whatever gear combination you go with will work with your engine, going from 14T to 18T you may not have any room for adjustability.

Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in.

thanks for your comment
where should i look to find out if it will fit

if you do that it will be faster, it will have a higher top speed but slightly less acceleration. But since you have have a big torquey engine that shouldnt be a problem, id say its acually better because you're using more of the engines power and your not revving it as high to go as fast so it will last a bit longer.
With my tmaxx it originally had a 18t bell with 72t spur. I put a hpi f4.6 engine in it with a 19t bell and 52t spur and the thing is a rocket. I have 3 gallons through it and the compression is great, bearings are good and theres no movement in the crankshaft either, starts perfect each time.

yeah I'm not very fussed about acceleration because i just do up and down runs at top speed.are those exhausts from extreme rc mods worth it and would they fit my car.how much faster do they make the car

yeah I'm not very fussed about acceleration because i just do up and down runs at top speed.are those exhausts from extreme rc mods worth it and would they fit my car.how much faster do they make the car

I've never tried their exhausts before, they're a bit out of my budget but seemingly they are very good exhausts from what I've read and heard. The exhaust I'm running now is a stock losi xxl ht pipe. I get serious power out of it with my f4.6 anyway. And they're cheap aswell, you can get them 'buy it now' on ebay for around $15, good bang for buck in my opinion.