Need some gearing info

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I just got the Slayer 2 speed trans ordered for the 1/5 scale HummVee. It's got big 5.5" tires but I want it geared way down for torque, not speed. I'm not sure yet what motor will be going into it, probably a crawler, but I don't know which one.
I just need some advice on which spur and pinion you'd recommend.

Wow! That's a super page of great info! Thanks. I just might add the link as a sticky in the Tuning thread.
Since nothing on my build is standardized and I'm going with a 2 speed nitro trans, I think it's going to be a hunt and hope kind of deal till I get what I need. I'll be going with a brushed motor on this one, but I'll have to figure out how many turns I need.

Wow! That's a super page of great info! Thanks. I just might add the link as a sticky in the Tuning thread.
Since nothing on my build is standardized and I'm going with a 2 speed nitro trans, I think it's going to be a hunt and hope kind of deal till I get what I need. I'll be going with a brushed motor on this one, but I'll have to figure out how many turns I need.
You'll probably be wanting to go with the higher amount of turns, for more torque. That calculator thing really is great, don't understand some of it, but you can get the idea :)

I'm pretty sure a 55 turn crawler would be way too slow since the trans and diffs are made for a nitro.

I'm pretty sure a 55 turn crawler would be way too slow since the trans and diffs are made for a nitro.
Maybe a 11 turn then...I'm not really into electric so don't know what the standards are.

That's high RPM. Remember, this is a fully scale HUGE 1/5 scale hard body. Lot of show, just want basic go.
25 turn maybe, I'm not sure- not into electric...

I think that's about what I'll be leaning towards. A crawler motor in a nitro trans would hardly move but I could probably walk up walls with it.

The slayer trans has different output gears. You can put in revo gears to help achieve a lower ratio internally.

Back