Please help! Nitro newbie struggling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great, like you say I will run it in properly first and then have a mess around to try and sort this problem.

I will try the first option first before I start going too deep into it when I'm just starting out!
Thanks so much for the advice, it's really helped me getting up and running!
Good, make sure to get some videos of it getting dirty in the media section :)

It's very important that you let it cool with the piston at BDC since the metals expand and contract at different rates. You don't want the cylinder squeezing the piston while it's in the sleeve. It's very simple to find the BDC by rocking the flywheel to either side and noting where it's free without compressing. Halfway between the start of compression clockwise and counter clockwise make a mark and just make sure it's in that position every time you turn off the engine.

It's very important that you let it cool with the piston at BDC since the metals expand and contract at different rates. You don't want the cylinder squeezing the piston while it's in the sleeve. It's very simple to find the BDC by rocking the flywheel to either side and noting where it's free without compressing. Halfway between the start of compression clockwise and counter clockwise make a mark and just make sure it's in that position every time you turn off the engine.

Thanks for the tip, i will have a go at finding BDC when i next manage to have a play. Do you think it is worth trying to adjust the idle as you say (so that it doesn't cut out when braking) before the engine is properly run in oir should i wait until it is fully run in?

Thanks again for the advice and sorry for the late reply (long day!)

You need to make slight adjustments during the break in tanks in order to slowly bring the engine to life. The extremely rich setting that it starts with are only for beginning the break in.
Absolutely you should adjust the idle. It's no big deal and part of the learning process.
You don't need to start the engine yet. Just make note of the opening in the carb by looking into the throat. Start to turn the idle screw clockwise while holding the brake till it's it the same approximate position. Go from throttle to brake a few times just to make sure it's not closing, then start the engine and see if it's idling at a good RPM without creeping forward. Hit the brake and make sure it doesn't turn off. You can also tweak the idle up or down now with the brake applied till you find a happy spot for the idle.

Last edited:
As rolex said, changing the idle is part of the learning process :)