OK, how about this?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Another gopro filming drone platform. Only this one is different :)

Them things are getting a lot of people in trouble.

That's the "kite" version and is kind of cool.

Neat idea but I don't know of many places that's going to be cool with anyone pulling along a drone on a tether. If you're outside the number and kinds of shots far exceed this with a normal drone.

Neat idea but I don't know of many places that's going to be cool with anyone pulling along a drone on a tether. If you're outside the number and kinds of shots far exceed this with a normal drone.
I think this is supposed to be one of those film yourself type platforms and not so much a full blown FPV platform.

I get it. It's nothing but a film yourself platform. That's the whole reason I don't see much use for it. It's restricted to being tethered to you and from the demo video it works good if you're just standing there or walking around. I can't think of many if any places I'd be simply walking around that I'd want myself being videoed that would also have the headroom to fly a tethered quad.

In addition action shots / sports seems to be completely out of question with this platform. It's a neat idea but I personally don't see much practical use.

Think of it as the ultimate selfie-stick.

Seems like backwards engineering to me. Its is like taking an RC Plane and inventing the control lined aircraft out of it. With today's technology, why not go wireless when there are many options out there designed for it.

I get it. It's nothing but a film yourself platform. That's the whole reason I don't see much use for it. It's restricted to being tethered to you and from the demo video it works good if you're just standing there or walking around. I can't think of many if any places I'd be simply walking around that I'd want myself being videoed that would also have the headroom to fly a tethered quad.

In addition action shots / sports seems to be completely out of question with this platform. It's a neat idea but I personally don't see much practical use.

I think the idea was to make a cheap easy inexpensive way to video yourself doing stuff. Kinda like the untethered versions but I'm assuming less expensive and you may even have more control over this one. So for instance somebody brought up riding through wooded areas with an unthethered one probably wouldnt be possible but with this platform it might be possible if you shorten the leash enough.

I'm not sure why you say it wouldnt be good for action shots though. They show a guy snowboarding and riding a bicycle in the video while using one. Sure I can see whether the tether would get in the way for some applications but I can also see applications where this may be preferable to an untethered version. At the very least I bet its less expensive.

I'm not sure why you say it wouldnt be good for action shots though. They show a guy snowboarding and riding a bicycle in the video while using one.
I think you should get one and then hit the BMX track with it and let us know how well it goes. The guy riding the bike was on a beach without even as much as a hill insight and the people walking down the snow hill seemed to be moving faster then the snowboarder and sledders both. ;)

Again, neat device I guess but not one I personally see very practical. $350 for a tethered selfie stick (camera NOT included), or about half the price as a blade 350 with a HD camera and not limited by the length of your string. To each their own though. ;)

Really by the time you add the price of a Go-Pro you're going to be darn near at the price of a QX350 or over depending on which Go-Pro you get.

Attach the tether to the headboard.

large.jpg

I think you should get one and then hit the BMX track with it and let us know how well it goes. The guy riding the bike was on a beach without even as much as a hill insight and the people walking down the snow hill seemed to be moving faster then the snowboarder and sledders both. ;)

Again, neat device I guess but not one I personally see very practical. $350 for a tethered selfie stick (camera NOT included), or about half the price as a blade 350 with a HD camera and not limited by the length of your string. To each their own though. ;)

Really by the time you add the price of a Go-Pro you're going to be darn near at the price of a QX350 or over depending on which Go-Pro you get.

I'm not saying you could do extreme sports or even all normal sports with it, I'm just saying its seems more capable then what you were making it out to be but regardless of that comparing it to a 350QX is comparing apples and oranges cuz you couldnt use a 350QX to selfie yourself at all cause you have to pilot it. As for the price I thought they were cheaper because on Fotokite's website it says they start at $249 but I didnt bother to go over to indiegogo where they are actually selling them and see that the $249 model was only a early bird pre-order price the regular ones are indeed $349.

At any rate I wont post anymore of these types of platforms. No one seems to think much of them anyway regardless of whether they are tethered or not.

It's not that we don't think much of them, it's that the tech behind them (and the rules and regulations these days also) is still very much in it's infancy, and therefore makes their capability extremely limited. And I'm referring to the Lily quad, this thing is just useless for the vast majority of us IMHO. And most higher end quads can do selfies, you simply throw it in GPS mode and park it, as most have RTH (return to home) if something goes wrong, so no need to actually pilot it per say.

At any rate I wont post anymore of these types of platforms. No one seems to think much of them anyway regardless of whether they are tethered or not.
I hope you change your mind about that statment as I love these types of posts, just don't take it personal if not everyone thinks the platform is a perfect idea. Clearly others don't agree with me as you can see on their fundraising page that plenty of people have ordered. Again, I PERSONALLY don't see much value in this particular platform.

In fact the thread about the Lilly I really liked. I agree with apline that there needs to be some kind of obstacle avoidance but otherwise I think it's a great idea. Reminds me of the Soloshot but without the movement restriction.