The Great Outdoors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got caught in my first rain storm on the motorcycle. That sucked.

Riding in the rain always sucks, don't care how much gear you have on.

Took the now B+ side on a post work ride today. My initial thoughts...

ILove_zpsolkwqi8m.jpg

Rained us out yesterday, and I was first man on the trails today. How do I know? Because I collected about 50 spiderwebs. You can only see the one, but there are three on my brake cables in this pic. Pedal or GTFO!

photo%202_zps2etbcpqs.jpg

At the bottom...

photo%201%201_zps8x0ijbt7.jpg

On the way up. Damn roots, made it to the last one and spun the back tire

photo%201_zpsiybcuggs.jpg

At the top...made the climb for a second time in a row on the SS.

photo%203_zpsc4dscydv.jpg

Do you see it?

photo%204%201_zpstg76awyt.jpg

Also, have I mentioned lately, I love this bike?

photo%204_zpsydjdp9dw.jpg

Strava deets

CrackRabbit_zps5jiqquzg.jpg

Now that's the kind of motivation I can get behind! :D

Just got back from a weekend riding / camping trip. It was so great to get away and disconnect for a while.

First day was at DuPont. My ride got cut short and included some walking, did just over 18 miles.

Map reading class 101

ride1_zpsoszrgnum.jpg

Top of Airstrip with my buddy Mike

ride2_zps4ebpkmhc.jpg

Fixing a flat on Mine Mountain. I would do this a couple more times before heading for the truck, flatting again, and walking the last 3 or so miles. Couldn't find anything in the tire or wrong with the rim, turns out it was a small rock gash in the sidewall.

ride3_zps1dfzgf2o.jpg

Bottom of what I think is Reasonover

ride4_zpsmnpoltjv.jpg

Accommodations for the evening

photo_zpsh3gzfjhc.jpg

Second day was at Pisgah. Rode a variation of the big M loop starting from Sycamore cycles. Some pavement and easy bike path stuff to the horse stables, then Clawhammer to Maxwell cove to Hickory Knob to lower Black Mtn to pisgah hwy to grassy to Sycamore. Just an incredible ride! Right at 16 miles, and lots of clmibing!

My buddy Mike (I think) coming down Black

ride6_zps8jd05vs2.jpg

The group

ride5_zpsplyecncy.jpg

Post ride was Hubba Hubba BBQ and beers at The Hub

ride7_zps0qjgg3jb.jpg

I'd post up Strava deets, but the Garmin wonked out (imagine that, a Garmin product being buggy LOL) as usual.

Oh yeah, I had a blast Pete.

Group ride day today, still feeling the weekend's MTBing in the legs too. And the Garmin still sucks, shows Sunday for this ride. Hell, I was in Pisgah Sunday. Stupid Garmbage. :D

RoadWork_zps0xnn8mtj.jpg

Did some riding over the holiday weekend with my niece and nephew, including his first real MTB trail, and my first trip around a pump track. The pump track was a blast! Getting to be involved with things like this with them makes me want to move down there. Found some challenging technical trails at Big Creek also, good stuff!

IMG_1768_zpsydlpuv5m.jpg

A few more from my Pisgah trip. Such an amazing place, and the riding is just incredible. If you're ever down this way, I highly recommend it be at the top of your list! Only downside is it has ruined me for all the local riding, as everything here has been neutered for the tourists, I feel like I could ride my road bike on most of it at this point.

I look happier than I should after climbing up Clawhammer for the past 45 minutes, I wasn't done yet either. :D

MEMO0019%20Large_zps8sivgruc.jpg

Looking Glass Falls

P1030324%20Large_zpsv732z9um.jpg

Below Looking Glass Falls

P1030320%20Large_zpsm4nxjnot.jpg

Davidson River picnic area

P1030386%20Large_zps5zubwpff.jpg

So after riding three pumptracks over the holiday weekend, I decided I needed something for riding those, and I have the ball rolling for building one here also. I found this on CL, and it's like new, so as soon as the Revo sold, I made the 5 hour round trip drive to pick it up. It's a Haro Steel Reserve 1.2. It has some nice components like the Alienation rims, but I had a better stem, bars, and grips in the parts bin, and Nick at the LBS hooked me up with some nice chain tensioners. I rode a lot of BMX growing up, so it's kinda like coming back home after all these years. I tried getting back into bmx about ten years ago, but the 20" bikes just felt sketchy to me. Happy to say the 26" DJ frame (and it's the long frame which suits me well at 6'2") is very stable and feels great, and the suspension fork is nice! When I'm not hitting pump tracks on it, I'll bomb around town and work on things like manuals that transfer right over to the MTB. Besides, the way I see it, as long as I'm pedaling, it's all good. Supposed to hit the Trek demo day at Bent Creek tomorrow, then a pump track in Brevard after.

P1030446%20Large_zpsdjmfidy5.jpg

I kinda dig the color keyed hub / spoke nipples

P1030453%20Large_zpsydwfcq18.jpg

Went to a Trek demo today at Bent Creek. Rode the Remedy 29er, Fuel EX 29er, and Fuel EX 27.5. Really, really thought I'd love the Remedy, but the geometry felt wonky to me, and we just didn't click. I went up one frame size on the advice of a friend, on all the bikes, and it was a good move as the full sus bikes tend to have shorter top tubes. Got on the Fuel 29er and was instantly comfortable with it, made some gnarly climbs (all you guys with full squish are cheating BTW, climbing tech is SOOOOO much easier with suspension in back) and some rowdy descents. Had a crap ton of fun!

DemoDay_zpsrymbcmda.jpg

Ingles Field Gap is no joke! Toughest off road climb I've done to date, steep enough that I didn't think it was possible in places, lots of chunk too.

InglesFieldGap_zpsyldics8w.jpg

When we got done with that, we headed into Brevard for a some dirt jumping and pump track action for a couple hours or so. Starting to get a feel for the DJ bike, and had a blast on it too. Glad I bought it, even started to slowly get a feel for manuals on it by the end of the day.

P1030461%20Large_zps5ij2oket.jpg

I got some vids, if they turned out worth a crap.

Yep, sure did Ralph. I had it quite a bit as a kid riding BMX. But modern flats are no joke, those screw in pins will lay you open, the top one is still bleeding a bit, and it happened at 6 'o clock this evening. After cleaning it good when I got home, I count 9 places it got me good, and two that are really minor. But, it doesn't really hurt much honestly, just looks gnarly.

I winced just at the thought of that picture of the pedal bjte- I'm always doing it and it bloody hurts....

Ha ha, yep, I do the same when I see other people get bit ninnon. That was 5 weeks ago, still isn't healed up completely. :D
Feeling for ya- hope it gets better- at least it's not hurting as much as when you first do it...

Back