Windows 10 released, hows your experience?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my computer gagged, choked and then died. I had to replace the hard drive and install the Windows 7 operating system. I absolutely HATED EVERYTHING about Windows 10, and you can remove it within 30 days of the install. It didn't want to leave and instead killed the entire system. I've spent the last 3 days trying to get things back where they belong. Now every time I boot up I have to sit through another half hour of updates and installs.

This is why I've been putting off the upgrade on my work-station. When I finally get ready to do the upgrade, I'm going to do a back-up of my OS drive and go ahead and add second SSD for a RAID array. The upgrade on the Home Theater PC and laptop are working with no problems.

I feel your pain I have had problems and lost some of my information. Had to re download 10 and that is the maim problem I had a guy here for an hour to get it working not I am not a computer wiz.

I had an issue with mine... pretty sure it was there lurking in the weeds prior to the upgrade. I had Windows 8 that was upgraded to 8.1. It never would let me use the "Restart" off the start menu. Any time I used that, it would shut down, show the bios, then show the starting window with the spinning dots and get stuck there. Then I'd have to do a hard power off (power button for 10 seconds), wait a few seconds, then power it back up and it would start fine. Then I found that if I went to the Metro screen and used Restart there, it would work fine.

I no longer have the metro screen with W10.

So, I tried a few things I found on the MANY pages of people having a similar issue with startup/shutdown and I apparently changed my boot via msconfig to something other than "Normal" at some point in the past and forgot. One of the suggests was to do a safe mode boot, which I did. Then I chose "Normal" and tried to reboot. Then I got a BSOD saying some file was corrupted. Unfortunatley, I didn't mirror my drive after upgrading to W10, so all I could do (after 3 hours of exhaustive attempts at getting around the issue), I had to re-mirror from my W8.1 clone. I first rebooted to my W8.1 clone drive, Then to get the email and various things I did in the past two weeks that were non-windows, I copied the entire drive's contents to an additional internal storage drive (which for some reason took 3 hours). Then re-mirrored back to my SSD. Going from HDD to SSD takes about 15 minutes for 80G.

Re-mirrored, rebooted, back to W8.1. Upgraded to W10 again, did the 15-20 changes to get big brother off my back, went to best buy, bought another 240G cheap SSD to clone W10 too that was "working" (also bought 2 additional drives to clone my media pc and wifes laptop so I could retain the previous OS and W10 with solid backups). Once I had the W10 clone made, I changed just that one setting and it bricked it again. Swapped the drive/recloned, 15 minutes later, back to W10 that won't restart and gave up.

From what I can tell, people found that the "fast boot" was causing it on their machines, but I don't have that enabled. I also don't have hibernate enabled. It's a fast desktop with an SSD that boots from cold in about 20-25 seconds. WTF would I want to have huge .sys files floating around on my SSD that I don't need. So, I'll live with it as it is and just never use restart. Which means I can't remotely update anything and have to be here.

Stupid windows.

I'm getting back to normal, little by little. Here's what I'm up to...

windows-95.jpg

It's good to have my 'A' drive back.

Well, now I've installed the 3Tb drive and Windows 7. Late night last night, but we're starting to get back to normal.
Chances are I'll stay with 7 until their support stops.

We found out why @Rolex's computer wouldn't boot after his upgrade:
Moebius Strip.jpg

Personally, I don't like windows 10- I'm perfectly happy with windows 7- in fact, I was perfectly happy with XP...

I was perfectly happy with Win 3.1 and Win 98. Windows ME (Money Edition) really sucked as did Vista and Win 8.