Lrp newbie need help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willyb85

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi peps just brought my self an lrp.30 pull start trying to break it in but having some trouble at the moment when i get it started it will idle really high almost like its leaning right out i have turn the hsn and lsn out to richer settings but it wants to take off like its getting full throttle. I have set the idle screw to roughly 1mm to 1.5mm. All the fuel lines are new tank has no leaks so iv got no idea if anyone could shed some light on my situation that would be great thanks.

Hi peps just brought my self an lrp.30 pull start trying to break it in but having some trouble at the moment when i get it started it will idle really high almost like its leaning right out i have turn the hsn and lsn out to richer settings but it wants to take off like its getting full throttle. I have set the idle screw to roughly 1mm to 1.5mm. All the fuel lines are new tank has no leaks so iv got no idea if anyone could shed some light on my situation that would be great thanks.

Need more info,like what do you have the engine in,do you have the a muffler hooked up,
or are you breaking it in on an engine stand?

Need more info,like what do you have the engine in,do you have the a muffler hooked up,
or are you breaking it in on an engine stand?

Yeah sorry forgot ro mention that its in a hpi savy xl. Yeah atm i have the stock hpi pipe hooked up just to break it in new clutch new fuel lines tank is the hpi stock one. There is plenty of pressure in the fuel tank as i have modified the stinger to a smaller size due to the stock pipe given pressure problems. Running 25% fuel all batterys charged servos are all doing what there ment to. Just the motor runs like it leaning out and wants to take of like full throttle but it is in the idle position.

Why I asked,is theres other factors involved,like tank presure,pipe,an even the electronics
play a roll when you turn them on.adjusting the idle screw dont mean a heck a beans when your
radio gear is turned off,because the radio gear turned on could put your throttle in another
position through via throttle trim on the transmitter,so make sure you fine tune with radio
gear on.

Thats the first thing i checked when i first started it. Can it running rich cause it to idle high. I'm trying to break it in but am having no fun at all, i can get it to run for about 30 secs then shuts down iv heated the motor with heat gun to about 190 - 200 makes it easyer but still only goes for about 30 sec. I will try again this weekend il try and find the factory setting and start again.

Thats the first thing i checked when i first started it. Can it running rich cause it to idle high. I'm trying to break it in but am having no fun at all, i can get it to run for about 30 secs then shuts down iv heated the motor with heat gun to about 190 - 200 makes it easyer but still only goes for about 30 sec. I will try again this weekend il try and find the factory setting and start again.

Its been a long long time since I've broke in an engine,but I dont think that I've ever had any
issues with a high rev on an engine other than it running too lean or having an air leak
somewhere.
There was acouple of times when I've gotten a new engine,an their leaks were actualy the
head itself,factory didnt tighten the heads down too good.

Usually its when the engine revs up is when its too lean,sometimes I will richen mine up when my
engines starts to rev,that seems to calm them down.

Is the carb fully seated and the cinch bolt tight? LRP's usually come with a loose carb so it can be adjusted easily on install.

All sorted the stock needle setting are not what they say it was running lean which is why it seamed to be trying to take off on me but got it through 2 tanks idle is nice can hit the throttle a bit and it runs beautiful.bthanks for your help guys. Just one more thing will the stock hpi pipe for the 5.9 be ok for a bit till i get a good one?

Yes, that pipe will work ok. I don't know what pipe works best with the .30, but I know the LST2/XL pipe works great with the LRP28S3. Not as loud as the HPI polished pipe, but seems to give better power.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB5059

I grind the inner ring down a bit with a dremel and use the stock high flow header that comes with the savage.

2010-0220-PipesStackedOnSavage.jpg

1 - HPI Polished pipe (like yours)
2 - LST1 pipe
3 - random hot bodies pipe I had for some reason
4 - LST2 HT pipe (link above)
5 - XTM big block pipe

Tried all 5 and #4 was the best with the LRP's I run. I have one currently on my savage.

A buddy of mine ran the OFNA JP2 pipe and it worked really well too, but it has a buggy stinger on it which you can't easily put an exhaust extender on to get the crap off the side of your truck. Oh, that wasn't a savage, was an LST2. The pressure fitting isn't in a good spot for a right side exhaust.

I know many don't care for non-stock/crappy mods, but I find that on a savage, having an exhaust hanger helps keep the gaskets and coupler lasting a lot longer. Mine last years now. Without it, the gaskets tend to get chewed up when you get big air.

It's hard to see, but I have 5/16" round bar bent at a 90 bolted to the side of the chassis with a bit of rubber high temp hose on it for the pipe to rest on:
2013-0316-SavageX-PipeSideLow.jpg

Last edited:
Nice i made the stinger abit smaller on the stock hpi pipe to make a little more back pressure. I think i will stick with it for a bit till i get the new motor broken in sounds a little louder with a smaller stinger too.which is good to get the Neighbours out for a bit of fun lol.