Father-Son 1:1 Mustang GT Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today we put the trans back in where it belongs! Now it's time to get the engine work done. All the parts are waiting,just gotta get the work done :)

ddj05l.jpg

2sailqa.jpg

You have done a lot of work on it maybe now you can enjoy it more and appreciat it better. Ed

It looks good and sounds strong, nice job!

Wow, VERY cool. Same engine that's in my bad bird, but yours tends to growl a bit more.
Big time congrats on the job.

Yeah it growls alright. Those Flowmaster 40's are too loud for my taste but my son loves them. The gear drive is louder than expected too since I ordered the "quiet" version. But then again I did not use a name brand set. The noisy versions are obnoxiously loud.

It probably won't be much faster than stock though since I did not change heads or intake with the cam. I didn't know before I bought this car but this year(95 & 94) is notoriously slow years for a Mustang. They used some poor flowing heads and intakes on these cars. Ones off of late 90's Explorers are good/cheap upgrades but I'm not sure what I will go with yet.

You have done a lot of work on it maybe now you can enjoy it more and appreciat it better. Ed

Kind like r/c,working on it is about as much enjoyment as driving for me but my son is ready for some road time. I already have several other parts bought that still need installed but they don't all have to be done right away. The next parts going on will be the 4.10 gear set, Oooooh yeah!

Dyno day was canceled for this weekend so hopefully I will make it to the fun drags next week. I'll update with vids when that happens.

The Fun Finally Begins

As of my last post I thought I would have had some fun miles put the car but as it is just yesterday we were able to get it legal and tagged. We spent the first Friday after that post going over everything making sure it all worked so we could pass inspection.
First I had to fix the driver's door power window motor,I know that doesn't affect inspection but it is hot and we don't have a/c. The horn didn't work so I had to fix that. Turned out to be bent contacts under the air bag. I guess some one beat on the horn hard with road rage LOL I thought we had a brake light issue but after some research I found that Ford intentionally designed them the way they are. 3 tail lights on each side but only 2 for brake and turn signal. What was really throwing me off was by factory spec,the third light was still a dual filament bulb. Then I found one inner tie-rod end was worn out. that actually turned out to be one of easiest fixes for a change. The hardest part was finding a zip-tie for the boot clamp.
Sadly,after all the work we were too late to get the inspection and make it to the DMV. Bummer!

The next week we had high spirits and were excited to go get ready for some driving fun. Our excitement was quickly extinguished. We failed inspection before it even began. I pulled in to the shop and went inside to arrange for the inspection. The first thing he asked,does it have cats on it? No. So there is no need to even start the inspection he says.
Now I knew cats were an issue but there is no emission test requirements in my area,just a visual if they are there and this shop was "ace in the hole". This one is usually very lenient and doesn't even look. He says he was busted a couple of weeks earlier so now he is checking them. Not knowing where else to go,I went home and started calling around pricing installation of cats. I was also told by a couple of the shops that I had to have tail pipes also to pass inspection. They mentioned it because they see so many Mustangs and hot rods that have turn downs at the rear end like mine did. Most of the muffler shops were at $350-$400 just for cats installed but then I found one that told me had some race style spun cats and could do them and the tail pipes for $300. That's money I didn't have though so I hung up. I called a couple of friends trying to find another lenient shop but had no luck with that either. So I sat around for a while being bummed out. I did have a few things I could sell and some buyers so reluctantly I decided to go sell them off. By time I was done and called back to the shop it was too late to get anything done. Dang It!!!! I went ahead and made an appointment and then we have to wait another week.

Friday(yesterday) finally gets here and our hopes rise again although I really would have liked to do other things with that money. Also,this week school has started so my son can't come along to oversee the work being done. After arriving at the shop,I was shown the cats they were planning to use. Relatively small,they looked good/not too restrictive to me so let the work commence. Almost 3 hours later they are done and honestly,I gotta say I am happy with the results. The tips fit the cutouts in the bumper and improved the rear view nicely. BTW,the chrome tips were not included in the price,we picked them up at a swap meet some time ago for $15/pair.
As it was originally the car had shorty headers hooked to an x-pipe with Flowmaster 40s dumped at the rear axle. And as it was originally I didn't really like the sound, I never really liked Flowmasters. They are way loud and in our car the drone at low speed was really bad. They also always had too raspy of a sound to me and I like a deep mellow tone more like what you get from a glasspack(yeah I'm old school). But nearly all of them I have heard were like ours,no cats and dumped. When he started the car to move it off the rack,I liked what it sounded like. After settling up on the work I got in the car to leave. I started it up and a smile hit my face immediately. From inside it sounded PERFECT to me! Driving it quickly reaffirmed it.The drone was gone,nice mellow tone and when I stomped it they roared without being annoying inside. I guess in the end it was money well spent,I just wasn't ready for it yet. My son loves the sound too and we have been putting some miles on it now. I don't think I am in any mid-life crisis,but driving this thing sure takes me back and puts a smile on my face.

25kifrl.jpg

15odn4j.jpg

Great to hear that you're getting it legal! Hopefully you guys will enjoy driving it around town looking for trouble. lol

I'm glad all is good to go.
What happened to the good ole days when you went to the gas station, handed the guy a $10 bill and told him to put a fresh inspection sticker on it?

Track Time!

Friday night was finally the big night,first run at the track! I wasn't sure if we were going to go since it looked like rain all day long. About 6pm I checked their message board and it said they were racing so we decided to get ready and head up there.
By the time we we arrived it was after 8pm. Then I had to get registered and I wanted to let the car cool down a little before the first run so it was around 8:30 when I got in line for my first run. 2 runs away from my turn a car sprung a radiator leak and wrecked. Removal of the car and track clean up made for an hour+ delay.

When I finally hit the track it was almost 10pm. It was dark and track lighting isn't great so I didn't get any video but I made my first run! The truck running beside me jumped and turned on the red light and that almost screwed me up. I looked at the red then I saw my last yellow on so I mashed throttle and took off. Boy was that a fun trip! I was a little disappointed when I saw the time slip though,our car is slower than I expected it to be. I ran a 15.90 @ 86mph, ugh. A .645 reaction time is a little slow too but not horrible for a first time.

I was only able to make one other run but it was worse. I tried to stall up the converter and breaks didn't hold causing me to red light. Then I sat there for almost a full second before realizing it's red,I need to go anyway. This resulted in a 16.84 @ 85mph

Time wise we could have made another run but on the second trip my make-shift egr repair blew out. It wouldn't really hurt anything but the resulting leak made the car sound horrible so we opted to call it a night.
The slow times were a little disappointing but being slow meant my son got to ride along on the second run.

Overall we had a bast and can't wait to do it again,just gotta find ways to go FASTER!

Well,the fun is over for while. My son wanted to go cruise around Monday afternoon and take some pics of the car. So I took him for a ride to show him a few interesting places he hasn't seen before and get some pics. We were having a great time until on drive home. The car suddenly dropped a cylinder and we limped home running on 7. By the time we got home it was dumping a lot of smoke too. I'm not for sure yet but I think it blew a head gasket or cracked a head. Bummer! We never even hammered on it either :\
3346i43.jpg

2nq5bwi.jpg

More wrench time. I enjoyed helping a friend wrench on his door-slammer. He offered to let me drive, but I really prefer wrenching and this has continued on into my RC racing.

Sorry to hear that Randy! Tell your son to save those pennies, this is a good excuse to drop a Coyote in there.

this was a great read thanks for posting up can't wait to do stuff like this with my son(no kids yet) one day

sorry about the car but now you can find that way to go faster:thumbs-up:

Nice project, shame to hear about the dead cylinder :( I'm sure you'll get it up and running in no time, and even faster than before. Have you considered letting your son have it as his first car? that would be awesome- insurance would be high though...

Have you considered letting your son have it as his first car? that would be awesome- insurance would be high though...

That is the plan for this car. We made a deal,he gets to use the car for school/work and what ever as long as he maintains acceptable grades(doesn't need straight A's)and stays off of drugs/alcohol. If he Graduates with the same stipulations,I will sign the car over to him. In the mean time,we are going to continue fixing everything including body and paint.

Back