Redcat??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figure your going to get good ones and defective ones in all brands my buddy and i went with nitros i bought redcat "yes plastic arms are crap" but upgraded to aliuminum arms runs like a champ and give it the extra weight it needed. He bought the hpi bullet and has never been able to get it to run right so if your bashing things are going to break t

Aluminum arms are the worst unless theyre for show. If you want after market get RPM if they make it otherwise stick with the plastic ones.

I am new to the hobby. I purchased a Redcat volcano s30. I am waiting for it to arrive. Just wondering if anyone runs these. Also would like some info on maintaining the nitro engines. Thanks...

I have a Redcat Volcano and a Lighting, I could tell just be looking at photos that they were cheaply built, but I figured as much just from the price. I built the Volcano from spare parts, the engine runs great, sits for a long time and starts on the first or second pull. I also like the way it handles, not a big time basher unless it's for a demolition derby, but something you or your kids can play with in the yard etc. I actually like the 2-speed Lighting, it is fast and even though it is not the drift model, it is fun drifting (with road tires) and actually produces tire smoke while doing so. It handles really good and so far has not broken down. Of course you will not race this with the big boys, but it's fun in the streets. From what I have experienced, unless you purchase hundreds of dollars of hop-ups, or spend $500+ for hot brand, all rc vehicles are prone to parts breaking, that is how the companies make their money. Traxxas use to be the "Redcat" years ago, they sold the cheap junk, now that I returned to the hobby, I was very surprised that they sell the same models for three times as much as they did several years ago and seem to be one of the most popular brands. I don't think the Volcano is as terrible as the others are saying, most rc vehicles are made in China and none are of great quality, a Volcano is what I said it is, a good play toy for the family and a good way to learn how to work on nitro vehicles. If you hit a rock with an hpi, ofna, etc. it's going to break also.

Not to flare up any fires, but there are a couple MT's that are pretty durable with another $50-$100 worth of hopups. Such as the revo, with RPM arms/carriers. Or, the savage X with BP diffs.

I'm going to buy a Volcano s30 now just to see if it's really that bad LOL. Also I wonder if they break when they don't hit things? Anytime I've ever broke anything was because I hit something i shouldn't have or did something I shouldn't have. But they are cheap enough I will get one and try it out. maybe craigslist will be a good place to find a disgruntled redcat owner.

Last edited:
Back