Another Yeti

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure why but one of my rear wheels comes off once in a while,I had to chase that mofo a long way today!

lost%20it_zpst19vsdws.jpg

nice not a problem I have experienced yet with my yeti

This thing is eating steering servos! The first one was older so when it died I just swapped in a new one, this one lasted a little longer but it's toast! I never thought to check the temp on a servo but when it quit working it was hot. When I scratch enough money together to buy another one I'll try using a bec and hopefully that will help.

What servo are using? I'm using a HiTec 5955TG on the SCX-10/JK.

They were both low end Savox waterproof servos.

Pete, I killed a Hitec 7950TH in the Wraith and when it let go I grabbed the horn to check for stripped gears and heatsinks branded me, it was smokin' LOL. Turns out the adapter I used to wire in my BEC shorted, and it fried the servo. I soldered up my own adapter from heavier gauge wire, and switched to a Savox (forget the number, but more TQ and speed than the 7950) that I waterproofed with silicone conformal coating, and haven't had any more issues. So make sure all the wiring in the chain can handle a current spike without failing, just in case.

Pete, I killed a Hitec 7950TH in the Wraith and when it let go I grabbed the horn to check for stripped gears and heatsinks branded me, it was smokin'

I forgot about that happening to you. It's amazing how hard these things are on servos, these servos worked great in a Savage and would overpower an SCX with no issues. It was strong enough to swing the tires with ease but just got too hot. I wasn't using an external bec because my esc puts out 6v but maybe that's not enough.

Pete, from my research and experience, every Crawler and scaler needs a standalone BEC. It's not the voltage that you have to worry about, it's the amperage, and more importantly, the amount of sag when under load. I even ran CC BECs in my race rigs after a brownout, never had another issue after that. Savox makes a great servo IMHO, but they are known to be power hungry however. The one in my Wraith will pull over 3A when binded up.

I decided to tear into the servos hoping I could make one good one out of the two but no dice, the wiring and boards are still good but the motor is toast in both of them.

Amazing. YEARS with planes, helis, cars and trucks and I've never burned a motor. Never any more than stripped gears.

I knew better than to run it without an external BEC, the sad thing I have a CC BEC in my parts bin. I picked up a Hitec hs-7955tg from fleabay earlier so it should be up and running again early next week. I'm going to go through everything and get the BEC wired up while it's down, also thinking about doing something different with the paint.

Back