The Bonus Build!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Well, since getting into planes and flying the sport cub for a while now, I've been wanting something larger and heavier to deal with the wind better. The wind always picks up at the club around mid day, and throw the SC all over the place. I thought hard about a carbon z cub, but by the time I buy the plane and batteries it gets very costly, and has short flight times. I did not want nitro either. So after lots of conferring with the guys at the club, and getting to fly one of these a few weeks back, I decided to go over to the dark side, gas power! Just so happens I just got my ten year bonus at work. Most of it is still in the savings account, but I figured I'd earned a nice new plane, and you only live once so what the hell. I pre-paid for it to get the color I wanted (they sell out fast) and picked it up at Joe Nall to save on shipping. They call this a 3D trainer, but it will not do full 3D, and it's a high wing trainer, so it's more of an acrobatic trainer. It's very docile and forgiving, and just floats in for landings. BUT, with the 35 it has unlimited vertical, takes off in about one plane length, and will hover below half throttle. :D I also get long, long flight times compared to a large electric, somewhere in the 20 minute range. They also include pre-cut wood for most of the plane should you stuff it, that's a nice touch IMO. This will be a slow build, as I'll be getting some help from club members (there are four of these flying at my club, so I'll have lots of support, a major factor in my decision) on certain things. Anyway, here's the build list, and pics.

Pilot RC Trainer 90 ARF
90" span, 60" fuselage once motor and prop are on. Had to remove it from the box to get in the truck for the ride home from Joe Nall. :D Picked up a wing bag also.

P1000717%20Large_zpshgdlwzlh.jpg

New Futaba 10J for control
Futaba S3071-HV servos x 5
Fromeco Badger power switch
Tech Aero ultra IBEC for regulated ignition power and optical kill switch for the engine
DLE 35RA 35cc rear exhaust engine
miracle RC prop drill guide
Turnigy nano tech 2100mah LiFe packs for plane and radio
Dave Brown lite flite 5" wheels (love me some bush plane style)
Xoar 19x8 prop (not pictured)
Jersey Modeler fuel can / pump setup with storage tote (not pictured)

P1000718%20Large_zpsaaxafqns.jpg

Engine size for scale

P1000724%20Large_zpsawvtyf9o.jpg

Super. I wanted to see what it looked like since I wasn't familiar with that name, and found this pic on google...
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm familiar with several different 90" planes, and that's the way to go.

Thanks guys, and yes that's the plane, only the new ones have a full cowl also. Rolex, I love that Saito, and four strokes in general. One of these days...

Finally getting back to this one also.

Started by finding the center of the fuselage, and driving in a T pin to use to measure off of to get the horizontal stab set right.

P1030150%20Large_zpsnk4guqly.jpg

Once you've put the stab in, and measured and bumped it around to get it right about 47 times, mark it and trim off the mono kote.

P1030151%20Large_zpsbqenlhbt.jpg

P1030153%20Large_zpsanivudj6.jpg

P1030155%20Large_zps9vrn0g2l.jpg

You then need to mix up some 30 minute epoxy. It was at this point I realized, I have nothing to mix it with. So I went over to my local Ace and they gave me a paint stick. I tried to pay for it, but the guy wouldn't have it, said go build your plane, good luck. This is why I always hit my Mom and Pop Ace before any of the big box stores. I simply took an xacto and scored small sections for mixing / applicator sticks.

P1030157%20Large_zpsymltubtx.jpg

P1030159%20Large_zpsv7uatanz.jpg

Once you get it all mixed up, coat everything well, and put the stab back in, measuring to get it centered once again.

P1030162%20Large_zpsbgvtowpp.jpg

Now is the perfect time for a break to let the epoxy cure without being disturbed. You guys know me, beer 'n pizza time.

P1030152%20Large_zpsljsgpbmn.jpg

Once you're well hydrated and full, we can move on to the vertical tail fin. Go get a cheap plastic carpenters squre, and do this to it.

P1030164%20Large_zpsacprdno3.jpg

That way, once you've trimmed the mono kote from the fin and got your epoxy in place, you use it in this manner to ensure your tail assembly is square.

P1030166%20Large_zpsxhubyvps.jpg

That's it for now, gotta go get a MTB ready for tomorrows ride. Gonna come back and try to get the elevator, rudder, and tail wheel installed tonight though.

Got the tail completely finished up. That's the most time consuming, should move faster from here.

Got the tail wheel mounted, measured, bent and installed into the rudder. Cut for the control horns and epoxied them in place also.

P1030168%20Large_zpsaijuzqxu.jpg

All done, hinges are drying now. That's a four foot work table for scale. :D

P1030170%20Large_zpseymc9ugz.jpg

Oh, so that's a micro-scale bird, then. lol

Sure, it's a 4' table, but it's only a 1/6 scale table. He's also shooting with a 35mm lens.
J/K...nice job. By the way, I mix epoxy in disposable plastic picnic cups. Small amounts are mixed in plastic shot glasses from a dollar store. I stir it with ice cream sticks available in packs of 100 in craft stores.
For coating the firewall against fuel (a must) you can thin the epoxy with rubbing alcohol and brush it on in several coats.

LOL, thanks for the tips Ralph. No craft stores anywhere near here BTW, so I make do with what I have around me.

Got some more done today.

Got some more done this evening.

Got my rudder and elevator servo locations cut, and mounted the servos, labeled the wires at the other end while I was at it.

P1030177%20Large_zpsubt1vmph.jpg

P1030176%20Large_zpsbh2afcgc.jpg

The kit came with servo clips to keep the wires together, nice touch for the vibes on a gasser

P1030179%20Large_zpsphlf9aei.jpg

I'm running these for all 5 of my servos, and I made sure to use the rubber grommets and metal eyelets on this build

P1030180%20Large_zpsbpjwlljs.jpg

Next, I got the ailerons mounted and glued the hinges, and mounted the aileron servos.

P1030217%20Large_zps9yciahj3.jpg

Got my throttle servo mounted up

P1030192%20Large_zpsx0epasoa.jpg

The kit is marked for a DLE 30cc engine, and the 35cc I'm running is a bit different mounting wise. But, the top two bolts line up, so I used that and got the bottom two marked and drilled and checked the fit. Everything lines up, but I'm going to have to space the engine forward a bit, as the muffler is hitting the firewall bracing on the bottom.

P1030191%20Large_zpsllegvzo7.jpg

That's it for today. I don't lack much though, a few more hours maybe. Getting excited! :D

Fantastic build thus far my friend, I usaually don't look into plane builds but after re-lighting the fire for the hobby I am going to explore new waters. One of which may be planes.. Beside that, shes lookin good man!

Good to see you around Loring! I haven't touched anything ground based since last winter. Flying is the only thing I mess with RC these days. Maybe that'll change, or maybe I'll sell off all the ground rigs if it doesn't.

Ralph, there's always sea planes. :D

Haha you don't realize I am the member that does the deep water test on newly acquired rigs, so that's why I must start my thesis in water if I want to go flyin :hehe:

--

Thanks Randy, definatly missed this place that's for sure and glad yall remember this guy :D

^^Nice rig

Got a little more done tonight.

I had read to use this stuff for my muffler gasket, and to hold the muffler bolts in place also.

P1030221%20Large_zpslsv51fin.jpg

P1030222%20Large_zpsxpvq9bwn.jpg

P1030223%20Large_zpsmkve77is.jpg

One bolt between the standoffs and firewall, and a bit of trimming and muffler fits fine now.

P1030220%20Large_zps1bvkxja6.jpg

I trimmed and cleaned this up a bit more after this shot

P1030219%20Large_zps6qohkzd7.jpg

Ralph, thanks for the tip to thin out the epoxy with alcohol and coat the firewall and cowl. Not only will it will make it fuel proof, it will reinforce anywhere I had to trim to clear the muffler.

P1030225%20Large_zpssz2y4hhh.jpg

Gave it a few coats, tomorrow I can finish installing everything and get this ready for the air this weekend!

P1030227%20Large_zpsjae4jtau.jpg

Shopping at Ingle's, eh? Just a little tip for next time, buy the rubbing alcohol in a drug store so you can get the 91% instead of the 70% that contains more water.
Great planes makes some great epoxy.

Back