Windows 10 released, hows your experience?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've received the free upgrade and have just done a clean install of Windows 10. Still setting up odds and ends but so far no problems.

Anyone else take the upgrade?

Downloading it to my family computer as we speak then I got 2 laptops to go I will let you know. Doubt I will do the clean install though don't want to lose all the photos on the family computer.

Doubt I will do the clean install though don't want to lose all the photos on the family computer.
If you're not doing backups then it's really just a matter of time until you do loose them all. Do backups. Just saying.

Haven't used the Release version, but the last pre-release that I did a clean install had no problems and had all but the driver for the trackpad installed correctly on Dell notebook.

I have completed 1 laptop and so far so good, I didn't get an option with it for a clean install though, I have the other one doing it right now. I will catch the family one tomorrow after the back up LOL I never think to back it up unless I am doing something to the computer.and I hardly use that one anymore myself.

I never think to back it up

Many people don't, until they've lost everything and then they start thinking about it.

CrashPlan - seriously check it out. I recommend it to everyone. $6.00 a month for unlimited storage or even cheaper if paid yearly. It will simply backup the entire PC or just the folders you want backed up (my docs, and pictures).

I have everything in my house going to a storage device and then have crashplan backing up that entire storage device and now nearly 1TB of data backed up. A computer and/or the storage device could be stolen, lost, or blown up and all my data remains.

Really really, check out CrashPlan.

Good to know I may look into it

Can I back up all my computers to one account for the $6 or do I need to have an account for each computer.

You'll want the $12.50 plan that allows you to backup 2-10 computers if you want to cover all of them.

probably do that then my wifes laptop will be getting used for school this year hate for it to crash and lose it all.

Running it now on family and wife's laptop looks like I got 2 days left on backing up family computer, and about an hour on wifes. I will do mine next and see how long it takes.

Many people don't, until they've lost everything and then they start thinking about it.

CrashPlan - seriously check it out. I recommend it to everyone. $6.00 a month for unlimited storage or even cheaper if paid yearly. It will simply backup the entire PC or just the folders you want backed up (my docs, and pictures).

I have everything in my house going to a storage device and then have crashplan backing up that entire storage device and now nearly 1TB of data backed up. A computer and/or the storage device could be stolen, lost, or blown up and all my data remains.

Really really, check out CrashPlan.
+1 on Backup
I use google drive personally and keep a synchronized copy on my laptop and home machine (with a pair of 2TB drives in raid 1) I figure with three personal copies and a copy in the cloud, i should be safe.

I am gonna read up on crashplan. Have you used Gdrive @WoodiE ? Any comparison?

Have you used Gdrive @WoodiE ? Any comparison?
Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive and several others I have tried and used to use myself. However these all work the same, they depend on you putting the files you want sync'ed or "backed up" in the Google Drive, Dropbox, etc folder. They will not and are not designed to backup your entire computer or really any part of your computer with the exception of the one folder.

It's this that makes them and even external hard drives an okay solution at best as it still depends on the user to do something - either copy/move files to the Google Drive folder and/or external drive. I have a 2TB external HDD that's stored in my gun safe, it's been 4-5 months since I've taken it out, probably even longer.

CrashPlan on the other hand, you install the app like you would similar to Google Drive, DropBox, ect but by default it DOES backup your entire computer, everything! It keeps several file versions so if you delete a file or one gets infected by a virus or whatever then you simply roll back to the previous version. If you don't want an entire computer backup then you can select multiple or single files and/or folders. It's dead simple, cost effective, and provides users a set it and forget it type backup. No more worrying about did I move that folder or file to my Google Drive.

Price is right on too. Google Drive is $9.99 a month for 1TB of space, CrashPlan is $5.99 for unlimited on a single computer or $12.50 for up to 10 computers - also unlimited.

I always keep my files backed up on an external 1TB drive, but in the event of a total computer burnout, are the programs and their settings saved on any of the other paid backup systems?

I always keep my files backed up on an external 1TB drive, but in the event of a total computer burnout, are the programs and their settings saved on any of the other paid backup systems?

I'll take you at your word and call you the rare exception. Many people don't keep all of their files backed up to an external drive file for file. It's usually a monthly or weekly thing they do more times than not. That said, external drives are just as susceptible to house fires, theft, and drive failure.

CrashPlan (and I'm sure other backup solutions too) back's up the entire drive, everything. That's your documents, photos, videos, desktop items, program files folders, etc etc. If it' on your C: drive or any other local drive it will be backed up. So yes, program settings and profiles will also be backed up.

In reality you should have at least 3 copies of your data. The local data, an onsite backup (external drive, NAS) and really probably the most importantly an off-site backup (example: crashplan) as the off site backups will not be affected if your house catches fire, house gets hit by lighting, you get broken into.

Liking the crash plan so far. I still have a day left on the family computer but it runs unnoticed in the background of the laptops. It says it backs up your computer to make it easier if you replace the one it has backed up.

Liking the crash plan so far. I still have a day left on the family computer but it runs unnoticed in the background of the laptops. It says it backs up your computer to make it easier if you replace the one it has backed up.
How's crashplan so far for you? Everything backed up now?

@Rolex, you mention you are using a USB external drive. A great alternative to those would be a small one bay NAS like the Synology DS115J. With a setup like this you'll even be able to access your files remotely very easily, in addition to easily have all your files form your computer(s) all go to the NAS and then you can use a backup service to backup the NAS.

@WoodiE I have been looking at a few different backup solutions, but on your word I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the individual CrashPlan account. I'll be doing the same for my wife's laptop this weekend. I was going to get the family plan, but it's cheaper to do the two individual computers, and there's nothing on my laptop that stays on it anyway. Everything on there eventually goes to my desktop. I have 2tb of racing photos on an internal hard drive, and the thought of losing all of that scares the hell out of me.

Question though. Do you backup system files, games, and other software as well?