Smitty's ultimate thread.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked out some 12kg servos.
Can never make my mind up lol
Some advice, don't cheap out on servo's. Always look maybe at savox or hi tec or alturn USA. As for that fuel, it differs per country, but as it looks like your in the USA, I'd say to go for O'Donnell or Byron's fuel, they're highly recommended well known fuels. If not then the traxxas stuff or HPI optifuel. (Bit smokey though) as for that servo, I'd recommend the best you can get for you budget- that would be the hi tec hs-5565mh for throttle and maybe the hs 7954 for steering. As for savox the 1257tg for throttle and the 1256tg for steering, personally I'd go savox- but you will need a regulator or upgrade to lipo/life batteries if you run two as they are very power hungry, but in my case I chose them over hi tec as they gave me more bang for my buck. :) but I'm only giving you advice, its your money :)

Thank you for the advice, it's always helpful and welcomed!
That being said I have actually bought some cheap servos off ebay with good luck, but these are just cheap get me by servos that are alot better then the stock tmaxx servo that can't even turn the tires off the ground.

And for the fuel, red max is what I've always run aside from top fuel, that being said I've been doing some reading on both fuels, and I've been looking into O'Donnell as I've heard you can get alot longer engine life with it. Also, I never really paid attention or cared to pay attention to how the different fuels ran, I will be observing for sure, and I'll see about maybe getting a few quarts of each to try, but I'm a basher, I like anything that's cheap, because I usually can't squeeze much lol.
as for lipo, I plan to convert everything to lipo, including my gt3b!
Tax time, is when those savor servos will mine.

I'll also test all 4 servos in the water when I get them first thing.
Reason why I get waterproof is I do run all year around, doesn't matter if it's 15 out with a foot of snow and still coming down I'll go out to have some fun:)
I'm also just learning tuning, something I was terrible at before and didn't care much for, I'm not so lazy this time around.

Lightening stadium:
17mm conv.
better servos
Waterproof rx
Trophy waterproof air filter
Tmaxx:
3.3 slipper
new shocks
new gas tank
flysky rx/tx
waterproof rx

I would also like to at some point pull all my diffs to clean and fill

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice, it's always helpful and welcomed!
That being said I have actually bought some cheap servos off ebay with good luck, but these are just cheap get me by servos that are alot better then the stock tmaxx servo that can't even turn the tires off the ground.

And for the fuel, red max is what I've always run aside from top fuel, that being said I've been doing some reading on both fuels, and I've been looking into O'Donnell as I've heard you can get alot longer engine life with it. Also, I never really paid attention or cared to pay attention to how the different fuels ran, I will be observing for sure, and I'll see about maybe getting a few quarts of each to try, but I'm a basher, I like anything that's cheap, because I usually can't squeeze much lol.
as for lipo, I plan to convert everything to lipo, including my gt3b!
Tax time, is when those savor servos will mine.

I'll also test all 4 servos in the water when I get them first thing.
Reason why I get waterproof is I do run all year around, doesn't matter if it's 15 out with a foot of snow and still coming down I'll go out to have some fun:)
I'm also just learning tuning, something I was terrible at before and didn't care much for, I'm not so lazy this time around.

Lightening stadium:
17mm conv.
better servos
Waterproof rx
Tmaxx:
3.3 slipper
new shocks
new gas tank
flysky rx/tx
waterproof rx

I would also like to at some point pull all my diffs to clean and fill
Sounds like you have a plan, personally I'd never heard of that fuel, but as long as its worked for you and it still let's you enjoy the hobby then that's fine. As for the servo's then that's also a good idea- I'm not sure what you meant about water testing them, but I wouldn't recommend submerging them or hosing them down, as very few "waterproof" servo's are actually fully submersible- I know savox's waterproof line are capable of that. As I own a trophy, I find HPI's air filter design incredibly useful, as you can rotate the foam to use it longer without cleaning it and wasting air filter oil because of the small circle where the air is sucked in. If you came across a higher budget for your tx/RX then maybe look towards spektrum- but that's pointless unless you get into racing really. :) when you come to change the diff oil, and its never been changed before I'd recommend replacing the gears (if they're worn) choosing diff oil can be difficult, but usually just find what came stock and change it to how you like it- for more advice on what changing each of the three diff oils weight are, then just Google it. But really, if you just want to have fun then keep it stock.

Yea I don't plan to do much to it, I might put a touch more power to the back tires but that'd be about it. I've wanted specteum, but honestly I can't justify spending that much, the flysky does all I want, and I've only ran on a track once, I'm far from race ready haha. Maybe in a year after I get some book time on my belt.
the old servos I got were dual ball bearing medal geared digital high torque servos I paid 15 for, when I got them I ran them underwater for 5 minutes, if it fails I send it back, your selling me a waterproof item and that's what I'm going to get. I run all year around, so I run through snow, and I've killed my share of servos doing that lol.
The fuel is the cheapest I can find, but it works.
I'm always on a tight budget, I try to squeeze as much as I can in with what I have.

Thank you for the responce, good to collaborate :)
I'm actually going to be picking up a losi micro truggy, any experiacne? Will be converted to brushless and2.4

3 waterproof high torque servos
2 flysky rx
losi micro 10k kv brushless
20a no name brushless esc with reverse
micro 9g servo
Friction pegs for my slipper
3 quarts of trx 20%
And the losi micro truggy
all for 200 not bad right?

Last edited:
hahaha that was funny :)
What's your favored way to clean your rc rig?
I either blow it off with cleaner, or take it apart and clean it some people pour denatured alocohl on and blow it off.

Will keep that in mind, I might just wash off once everything is waterproof
Have alot coming in the mail.
Screenshot_2015-07-31-19-45-30_zps1udukerw.png

Screenshot_2015-07-31-19-45-45_zpsl6njbjdd.png

Screenshot_2015-07-31-19-50-28_zpspr5tmfya.png

I've got everything to convert the mini losi truggy to brushless and 2.4ghz
Rx for tmaxx along with slipper pegs
3 servos two for lsp and one with lsp old ones for tmaxx. 3 quarts gas, air filter oil bc I don't have any, and a mini camera to mount inside body of truck.
I also picked up some after run oil and a 9.6v charger so I can charge my hump pack I have.
I also found 15% nitro for 23 dolars, is soposed to be heli fuel but is 12% oil content... thougjts? I might get a gallon to try

Will keep that in mind, I might just wash off once everything is waterproof
Have alot coming in the mail.
Screenshot_2015-07-31-19-45-30_zps1udukerw.png

Screenshot_2015-07-31-19-45-45_zpsl6njbjdd.png

Screenshot_2015-07-31-19-50-28_zpspr5tmfya.png

I've got everything to convert the mini losi truggy to brushless and 2.4ghz
Rx for tmaxx along with slipper pegs
3 servos two for lsp and one with lsp old ones for tmaxx. 3 quarts gas, air filter oil bc I don't have any, and a mini camera to mount inside body of truck.
I also picked up some after run oil and a 9.6v charger so I can charge my hump pack I have.
I also found 15% nitro for 23 dolars, is soposed to be heli fuel but is 12% oil content... thougjts? I might get a gallon to try
Really the minimum percentage you want to be buying will be 20%, any less and you'll be limiting performance. I wouldn't recommend it. As with spraying it down with a hose, I wouldn't recommend that either as you can't protect your wheel bearings or diffs, and you don't want to mix water with fuel- it also makes screws and that go rusty, its not a great idea. Other than that it sounds like your on the way to having some nice rc's :)

Yea I know but you can't blame me for drooling over the price tag lol
What do you pay a gallon?
As for the hosi g down your very right, but don't forget I run all year around, meaning I plow through inches of snow, so rust will always be an issuet, but maybe I'll get a "WINTER BEATER" redcat racing anyone? Lmao volcano s30 was first rig, spent hundreds on it sadly before I opened my eyes. I think you guys got me through those times actually!!
But I do see where your going that's a little different and the water can sit alot eaiser. And I don't want to mix any gas either.
I'll post some videos soon for you guys!

I'm always active when I'm around so I'll keep the site pumping this winter! Fried servos more melted con rods :D

The slipper pegs fixed the tmaxx, she now engages, but I can't really do much testing as the throttle servo is half dead and doesn't brake, the steering servo isn't connected as it's the stock one that's worn so much it yanks the internals back and forth more then it turns the tires.
Waiting on reciever and new servos to complete tmaxx
Lsp still going strong besides the glow plug that came with the engine finally started giving out and I don't have any more good ones from before. So got those on order.
And my micro came in.
First thing I did was the steering mod then the controller went straight into the wifes hands, she loves it! Can't wait for the brushless 2.4 setup for it to come.

Got 7 dollar servos, work yen times better then stock lsp servos, turns tires on ground no ptoblem and I actually have brakes now!
Tmaxx got New servo for steering and lsp stockservos.
Truck ran great, got a little hot but I need to finish the holes in body for better air flow to engine. And I richness her a little.
Waiting on receivers for micro and tmaxx then tmaxx can finally be driven, and then the esc and new servo for the micro for the brushless/2.4 setup

Hahaha, I'm having serious technical difficulties considering my s5 needs a new screen I'm using a 30 dollar android phone from straight talk that half the time has to catch up to my typing lmao.
The servos are actually "tower pro" or some crap 7.02 each work great

Obviously they're made in China since they work YEN times better. :D
HA HA HA, I just can't stop laughing. Its just too funny. So funny...

That was meant be sarcastic, if you really thought I found that funny.

Hahaha, I'm having serious technical difficulties considering my s5 needs a new screen I'm using a 30 dollar android phone from straight talk that half the time has to catch up to my typing lmao.
The servos are actually "tower pro" or some crap 7.02 each work great
S5 screens are about £150 to replace.... Nasty. Anyway, enjoy your $30 samyung phone or whatever it is :D also, tower pro aren't too bad.

Yes there a big improvement over my stock servos and they were 7.02 a pop, waterproof is 10 a pop
I can't wait to get the rest of my stuff in so I'll have my tmaxx finally drivable and my micro brushless.
I have to converteverything to Lipo though as I have 36 rechargables that I'm cycling right now between everything lol
And yea 122 USD for a new screenwriting till bonus in Sep from work together phone

Yes there a big improvement over my stock servos and they were 7.02 a pop, waterproof is 10 a pop
I can't wait to get the rest of my stuff in so I'll have my tmaxx finally drivable and my micro brushless.
I have to converteverything to Lipo though as I have 36 rechargables that I'm cycling right now between everything lol
And yea 122 USD for a new screenwriting till bonus in Sep from work together phone
Get some pictures up when it's finished :)
I've used a tablet with a broken screen for 1 year, and the screen was half black and broken. The tablet was also incredibly slow.

I'll take some pics withthewifes phones little later, this phone isn't worth taking pictures with, I think it's like2mp lmao
The screen looks holographic tilting it the right way too lol
In September in using my bonus fora new phone