Axial Yeti Build + Upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I am hoping to charge them today I am going to mess around in the garage this afternoon so I can watch them while they charge.

I know the Twin Hammers isn't as fast as some of the dedicated buggies, but it can kick some butt in the rocks. The Yeti is about the same.

Not bad on 2S but I have no comparison to 3S yet I will be ordering a set as my next purchase. The yeti will take some getting used to she spent alot of time on her lid when I made a turn apparently you should slow down when you turn with it.

Yeah, these have a tendency to traction roll. lol

True but it was fun not sure what I enjoyed more running it myself or letting my 5 and 2 year old let it rip.

I can almost climb a tree with the Twin Hammers in low gear. I can get a nice little rooster tail of dirt when I hit it in high in the field next to my place. This is on 2s. I'd have to upgrade the ESC to something a little nicer than the "cheap" Dynamite ESC I'm currently running to get it capable for 3s.

With an external bec you can run 3s on almost and esc. I've used them on traxxas xl5's, cheap axial esc's with no problems, they barely ran warm. There's no guarantees so you have to be willing to replace it if something does go wrong.

Nice rig Kurt, now I really have the itch!

Hey FLM what 3S are you running in your YETI. I am looking at some SMC ones but they are 7200 MAH and they may be a little to tall. even with raising up the tie down as far as it will go.

This is what the LHS had. I was out of town and needed a batt. Its the only soft pack I have and its been great.

Screenshot_2015-06-02-09-41-19~2.jpg

to the bay I go then, what amp do you charge them at?

Only charged it twice and used 1C (5.2A). I am never in a rush so I didn't see the need to charge any faster.

Cool I don't want to go any higher then I have to.

First breakage. I blame it entirely on the insane heat the rear driveshaft is generating. Nearly burned my finger on that rear joint! Had to be 170+. Need to investigate
IMG_20150708_191300.jpg

Mine get real hot to I have actually heard them squeaking about 10 minutes into running took me a minute to figure out what it was. Figured when I broke one I would upgrade them.

First breakage. I blame it entirely on the insane heat the rear driveshaft is generating. Nearly burned my finger on that rear joint! Had to be 170+. Need to investigate

I'm interested to hear what you find, I just ran mine for the first time and after 5 minutes on a 2s pack it was pretty hot.

I bought a new set of plastic ones since i was at the LHS. Will bust these and then buy an MIP

After rebuilding the rear on mine I sprayed the joints with wd-40, it was good for 4 1/2 runs then it started getting hot again. I sprayed both joints again and no more heat! I'm going to break them down and put some good lube on them.

Have you tried the Teflon-based dry lubes on it?

Not yet, I just started messing with it

I've used the O'Donnell's on my RC-18 and it worked well without picking up sand, dirt, etc.

Back