Engine dies when I touch the throttle???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexcom

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a HPI Truggy 4.6. I bought it back in 2012. I drove with it quite much in the beginning then it ended up in the garage.

Now I got the motivation back again

But I have a big issue. The car starts and Idles very well but as soon as I touch the throttle the engine dies. The same thing happends over and over again. First I had the tuned needle settings I ended up with back in 2012 but soon I tried to go back to stock settings. But the issue remains.

The car starts easy. It Idles well but as soon as I try to take off it dies. Even if i'm really careful with the throttle it dies.

Any ideas?

Yes but it might not be linked to the needle settings at all as there is no differenser between the tuned settings used when the car worked perfect and now when i tried to go back.

Yes but it might not be linked to the needle settings at all as there is no differenser between the tuned settings used when the car worked perfect and now when i tried to go back.
With RC, you can never just keep the same tune year round- there are many things that could cause this issue- are you letting ti warm up? Please follow this guide before asking any more questions, as this will almost certainly fix your issue :)
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

Yes the engine as hot as it can be during idle. I've read it but I have no reaction on the car between the tuned settings used previously and the stock settings (high speed needle) so I figured there might be some other issue in the mix.

But I will try again tomorrow

What do you mean by that? If it gets very hot while just idling then your LSN is much too lean.

No it never reach operating temp. I need to rev it but I can't as it dies when I'm trying.

I will do some laborating soon.

No it never reach operating temp. I need to rev it but I can't as it dies when I'm trying.

I will do some laborating soon.
Remember to follow the tuning chart :)

I think the problem is solved. I beleive the biggest issue was a combination of a dirty fuel filter and the fact that the car has been standing in the garage for like 3 years.

After a while it starten to react on the HSN turns. Now it runs good again

I think the problem is solved. I beleive the biggest issue was a combination of a dirty fuel filter and the fact that the car has been standing in the garage for like 3 years.

After a while it starten to react on the HSN turns. Now it runs good again
Just to be safe, Id take off the carb and blow through some nitro cleaner, and replace fuel pipes.some Nitro fuel gums up when left :)

Yeah that might be a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

Back