How do you choose LIPO number of cells.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the duratrax onyx 245, I also have one of there old ice chargers and an onyx 210 but it doesn't do LIPOS. To be honest I would be leery of using the ice for LIPOS to as it is a charger from back in the day.

Last edited:
I had an onyx 245 a few years back and I'm 99.9% sure it has the lipo storage mode, read your manual carefully and I think you will find it. this is basic maintenance for your lipo, it will keep it healthy and make it last a lot longer!

Cool I will look into it a little deeper.

I would recommend getting a better LiPo charger. Something like The iCharger 106b. Its a great charger with tons of features and its not terribly expensive for a charger in its class.

I am actually considering another one just not right yet. The onyx 245 seems to just be a charger nothing fancy other then doing 2 at the time, you have no real control over the charge from what I can tell so far. My ice gave me the charge discharge capability which I liked for cycling my NIMH packs I still use it for that. The good thing about the Onyx for a person just starting out with LIPOS is the limited ability to tamper with the charge, me being that guy. :D

The Ice charger isnt bad but you need a stand alone balancer like an Astro Blinkie in order to you it with lipos and it doesn't have a storage mode but you can just discharge the batteries down to about 3.8 or 3.7V/C you'll just have to keep an eye on it while its discharging. I still have my ICE and my Blinkie. Although I never use them anymore. I guess I just keep em because it was the first CCCV charger I ever owned :)

Thanks I will probably be upgrading once I figure out how much I like the electric stuff. I just need for Rolex to come by and make the vroom vroom sounds so I will think it's a nitro.

Thanks I will probably be upgrading once I figure out how much I like the electric stuff. I just need for Rolex to come by and make the vroom vroom sounds so I will think it's a nitro.
It'd convince me.

Hey Wolf what would I gain by going up to the 206B or 208B, are the worth the little extra or not?

Hey Wolf what would I gain by going up to the 206B or 208B, are the worth the little extra or not?
Sorry man, I havent been around much. My wife and I are looking into buying our first house and I've been unbelievably busy.
If you understand the naming convention of the iChargers you'll understand the difference between all the models or at least the vast majority of the difference. the 106 mean it can charge up to 10A and up to 6S, hence the 106. So a 206 can do 20A up to 6S and a 208 can do 20A up to 8S. The letter "b" as far as I know doesn't seem to mean anything. I believe they all end in "b"

cool make sense now thank you.

Good Luck on the house search I broke down and bought a Hitec X4 80 charger my kids are starting to get into my truck collection now so multiple batteries are needed at once.

Sweet! Hitec chargers lack some of the high end features that I like but they are very accurate and made well and they probably make the best 4 channel charger out right now that I'm aware of. The features that I like arent really necessary anyway just very handy to have. I'm sure you'll really like that charger, I almost bought one myself the last time I bought a charger but since I had 2 other chargers already I went with a dual channel Thunder Power charger which is really overkill for what I needed, I'm tempted to sell it actually and get something less powerful. most of the time I only charge on 1C anyway and I already have a 40A PL6 charger for fast charging. The thunder power one can do 20A each channel or 40A on a single channel. I have no need for that much charging power lol.

thank you I will let you know how I like it.