Slipping one-way bearing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankenzilla

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I know this has probally been asked before but....
Upon trying to start my savage with my roto start it seemed the starter wasn't catching, so when I got home I checked the OWB and it was was cracked so I figured that was my problem.
I bought and put on a new OWB but had the same problem, it seems the OWB is slipping. So I took off the f4.6 starting back plate again and did notice a small amount of fuel had leaked on to the starting shaft, I thought this could be making the OWB slip,So I took off the starter shaft soaked it in carb cleaner dried it off and also roughened it up length way with some wire wool to give the OWB more grip on the shaft. I put it all back together, but I'm still having the same problem of it slipping at high RPM starting.
The engine is still quite new, so how would the starting shaft be worn if that is the problem,
In peoples opinion, do I need to buy a new starting shaft?

Thank you for your help guys

The shaft only needs to be wiped with alcohol when you clean or change the bearing. You might have worn it down just enough to make it a loose fit to the new bearing. What part of the old one was cracked, the outer race or the inner? If you kept trying to start it when you had the slipping problem it's very possible...if it was the inner race that was cracked...that you actually scraped the shaft.
Is it turning the flywheel at all? If not, make sure you don't have a broken rod.

Cheers for your reply,
The outer case of the old owb was cracked. If I use the roto start in very short bursts it seems to catch but any more and it slips.

A trick I use, is to rotate the shadt until the OWB catches then either yank the pulk cord or hit the "go" button on a starter.

If, however, the starter shaft is worn, that may not be an option. It may be worth sourcing a new starter shaft and giving that a whirl. If that cures the issue you are having, then you have found the problem.

One other thing, even with a new OWB, I always wash them out with WD40 or Carb Cleaner prior to install. That then gets rid of any oil used to protect the bearing following manufacture, distribution and storage, before onward sale to the end user.

Thanks for your reply, I've ordered a new starter shaft so I'll see how that goes. I'm tempted to wash out the new owb, but I'm hesitant as I don't want any slippery residue on it just in case? Or would carb cleaner just Evaporate ?

Carb cleaner will evaporate, WD40 is a water dispersant/cleaner.

Every time I've had to clean a slipping bearing I've used Denatured Alcohol from a hardware store. I also clean the shaft the same way and install it dry.

@Rolex we all know you like to polish your shaft, but to publically admit to it??

lol

Is Denatured Alcohol methylated spirits ?

No, it's denatured alcohol. Available in any hardware department. In a pinch you can also use rubbing alcohol at 91%.

Hi just to let you know how I got on.
I ordered a new starting shaft, but it came through the wrong part, so tiered of waiting for parts I roughed up my old starting shaft with sand paper and so far it has seemed to do the trick, so I'm happy until the next time something goes wrong on the savage ;-)