car cutting out in warm weather

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricky1400

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hi I have a Nitro Assault Buggy 4WD , 1/10 scale , Powerful O.S Racing .18 engine and tuned exhaust , pull start , slide carb .

I have bought and used the same fuel all of the time , the problem I have is in the colder ,chilly weather the car runs great , only stops when its used a full tank of fuel , BUT when the sun comes out and the weather is warmer the car starts but after 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel the engine cuts out and thats it , it wont start again .

I have bought several new glow plugs but that does not work .

I have reset the needles to the factory pre set and adjusted them in and out but nothing seems to work .

I am really happy with the way it starts and runs when the weather is cold but want it to do the same when its warmer .

any ideas please .

Usually when nitro engines quit running after it warms up,is an indication of
a worn out cylinder sleeve,which lost its pinch,but it can also be a dirty fuel
tank where the filter is scruffing up trash when the tank gets lower of fuel.

Could be an overheating issue?

You can run a slightly leaner HSN in the cold weather, but you then usually richen the HSN during warmer weather to avoid overheating, whereby the engine gets so hot the piston and sleeve expand to the point that compression is lost, resulting in the engine quitting and refusing to run until it cools back down again.

Also, ALWAYS ensure that the piston is at BDC when you stop running for the day as to leave the piston in the pinch zone can actually shorten the life of the piston and liner.

Best mix on the HSN varies engine to engine, varies with fuel and glow plug combination, air density, altitude at which engine is run and other factors besides.

What fuel do you use? what percent is it? what is the percent of oil content? what glow plug are you using?

Last edited:
Could be an overheating issue?

You can run a slightly leaner HSN in the cold weather, but you then usually richen the HSN during warmer weather to avoid overheating, whereby the

Not trying to pick an argument with you but in colder weather you would actually run richer as the air is denser than when running in warm weather so in a sense you are actually getting more air into the combustion mix. You could still have a worn out piston sleeve combo, how many gallons on it? Could you post a video of it running so we c an hear how the tune is.

Read back on my post Griff and you will see that I said you "could" not that you should.

Never had a problem running 1/12th of a turn leaner on cold days myself. Neither have I had problems running 1/6th of a turn richer on hot days, but this is all digressing from the OP's question.

hi thanks for your replies

i am using 25% fuel ,I have not used more than a gallon since buying the car new , I have a number 8 plug in and have always used a number 8 , the cooler weather running is great and no problems , its just the warmer weather when things start going wrong .

hi thanks for your replies

i am using 25% fuel ,I have not used more than a gallon since buying the car new , I have a number 8 plug in and have always used a number 8 , the cooler weather running is great and no problems , its just the warmer weather when things start going wrong .
If the things that we all sugested dont work,then we pretty much exuasted are knowledge.
on the info you gave us.
Me an the other folks here,would have already tore into the engine to find out whats
going on with the engine,might be something internal going on.I know that Os engines
are a good quality engine.
The only other things that I can think of,is to check an make sure the head screws are tight,
make sure that the head is not leaking,an maybe seal the engine at the carb base,an back-
plate...

Sealing an engine is sound advice in itself, even if the engine is brand new and only just out the box.

An air leak of any form reeks havoc with tuning and though that may not be the issue here, it is worth doing it.

hi I have a Nitro Assault Buggy 4WD , 1/10 scale , Powerful O.S Racing .18 engine and tuned exhaust , pull start , slide carb .

I have bought and used the same fuel all of the time , the problem I have is in the colder ,chilly weather the car runs great , only stops when its used a full tank of fuel , BUT when the sun comes out and the weather is warmer the car starts but after 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel the engine cuts out and thats it , it wont start again .

I have bought several new glow plugs but that does not work .

I have reset the needles to the factory pre set and adjusted them in and out but nothing seems to work .

I am really happy with the way it starts and runs when the weather is cold but want it to do the same when its warmer .

any ideas please .
Like the guys above said, try their advice- may be losing its pinch- but, as mad as this seems- it worked for me once. I had this same problem, and it turned out that the carb and fuel was getting hot, so as it entered the carb, it filled it with vapour and clogged it up- sounds mad, but I fixed it by spraying the carb body and fuel tank with cold water (only from a a spray bottle) and it didn't do it again- but that was early days- I didn't really know what I was doing and it may of just been tuned incorrectly or id been doing something wrong :p