Blizzard Truck/Thing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys!

@WoodiE, those patch panels just made sense to me. Parma left the wheel wells completely featureless, they were the perfect blank canvas.

@Rolex, trucks should be dirty. It's their natural state.

Still working on this. I'm getting a lot closer to being done. Got the lights installed in the body. I painted the grill like three or four times, before I finally found a color that looked right, to me. I decided to make a different chase rack.

truck36.jpg

I've got a long winded blog post on it, if you want more details and/or pictures.

It is DONE!

I took probably too many pictures of it, on my back yard trail. Not gonna post em all, so as not to hammer people's bandwidth.

On a log over:
truck42.jpg

truck45.jpg

Laughing at the wheel trap:
truck46.jpg

I never imagined it, when I was building everything for that bed, but I find it oddly satisfying to load up weeds I've pulled out of the trail, and haul them off to the burn pile.
truck47.jpg

truck48.jpg

Haha, I bet your yard work takes so much longer than before but is much more fun. Time to build a trailer to haul more weeds, justify it because it'll be used to maintain the yard.

Thanks, guys!

@SchrodeMode I was gonna say something about it not being used for all the yard work, just trail maintenance. But, it does get insane traction in the grass, I bet it could pull a decent sized trailer.... I'm gonna need more parts!

It is DONE!

I took probably too many pictures of it, on my back yard trail. Not gonna post em all, so as not to hammer people's bandwidth.

On a log over:
truck42.jpg

truck45.jpg

Laughing at the wheel trap:
truck46.jpg

I never imagined it, when I was building everything for that bed, but I find it oddly satisfying to load up weeds I've pulled out of the trail, and haul them off to the burn pile.
truck47.jpg

truck48.jpg
How well does this thing drive with it being on tracks?

@WoodiE The traction in soft terrain is killer. The tracks are plastic, so tend to slip on wood or rocks. I've glued a bunch of little rubber pads to the cross pieces on the tracks, and it's helped a lot. Of course, it tends to nose dive, when it crests a ridge, like those log overs. Kyosho designed it with the battery in the very front of the chassis, so it climbs great, but descents can be kind of sketchy.

The big issue is the disk brake based steering, which is kind of inconsistent, depending on what it's driving on, how fast it's going, and how bumpy the ground is. My constantly playing in the water, like a seven year old kid isn't helping. :D

Close, but the very first monster truck on tank tracks was a Ford van, by Bigfoot.
Somewhere, on VHS tape, I have a special of the build and running of this incredible beast.

I have actually seen this truck, Bigfoot 5(the one on snow train wheels) and Bigfoot 1 in person. Bigfoot 4x4 is only about 15 miles from where I live. I even seen Mrs. Bigfoot, the pink ranger monster. Great place to visit if you ever pass through St. Louis on I-270.

Great build either way.

Back