S50 good starter car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooks

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I've recently bought a thunder tiger S50, for myself and my kids, we will be pretty new to rc, have use got any tips we should follow as we are looking forward to a new hobby, the truck is still in the box at the moment, I've just got the starter kit today

Hi Everyone

I've recently bought a thunder tiger S50, for myself and my kids, we will be pretty new to rc, have use got any tips we should follow as we are looking forward to a new hobby, the truck is still in the box at the moment, I've just got the starter kit today
Here are some great resources on the forum for helping out begginers :):

beginners guide:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-rc-beginners-guide.68224/

Tuning and breaking in guide:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

A good tip with any rig, but especially a ThunderTiger rig, is to stock up on spares...

suspension arms, knuckles, spare fuel tank and air filter et-al.

Also, invest in Two or three quality 6v Receiver (Rx) paks and a good charger.

A good tip with any rig, but especially a ThunderTiger rig, is to stock up on spares...

suspension arms, knuckles, spare fuel tank and air filter et-al.

Also, invest in Two or three quality 6v Receiver (Rx) paks and a good charger.
yep. At the minute I've heard that parts are getting more and more scarce...

yep. At the minute I've heard that parts are getting more and more scarce...

Hmm, Just a tad.

Also, being a nitro rig you will need to invest in a clutch tool and possibly a flywheel spanner.

You will eventually have to change clutch shoes, the clutch tool makes that far easier.

I would also recommend ditching the supplied Allen keys and sourcing a quality set of long allen keys.

Other things to consider are fiting a fuel filter, acquiring some air filter oil, spare fuel line, spare glow plugs (trust me, you WILL need them and have at least three glow ignitors.

Pull start chords tend to snap after a while so try to source some spare pull start chord (bathroom light chord works well) as the pull start can be re-wound.

With your fuel line, find and fit a fuel line pinch clip (as found on Traxxas Revo's) and fit approx 3" from the carb. When you want to stop the engine, simply close the clip. When you want to run the rig, open the clip.

One tip I will offer, is to drill a hole dead centre of the pull start and one at the base. These allow a shot of WD40 to be shot into the one way bearing to clean it of oil and stop it from slipping on the starter shaft, the bottom hole being a drain hole for any excess to escape.

Take a look at how to "prime" the engine too. Quite easy when you know how ;)

Last edited:
Hmm, Just a tad.

Also, being a nitro rig you will need to invest in a clutch tool and possibly a flywheel spanner.

You will eventually have to change clutch shoes, the clutch tool makes that far easier.

I would also recommend ditching the supplied Allen keys and sourcing a quality set of long allen keys.

Other things to consider are fiting a fuel filter, acquiring some air filter oil, spare fuel line, spare glow plugs (trust me, you WILL need them and have at least three glow ignitors.

Pull start chords tend to snap after a while so try to source some spare pull start chord (bathroom light chord works well) as the pull start can be re-wound.

With your fuel line, find and fit a fuel line pinch clip (as found on Traxxas Revo's) and fit approx 3" from the carb. When you want to stop the engine, simply close the clip. When you want to run the rig, open the clip.

One tip I will offer, is to drill a hole dead centre of the pull start and one at the base. These allow a shot of WD40 to be shot into the one way bearing to clean it of oil and stop it from slipping on the starter shaft, the bottom hole being a drain hole for any excess to escape.

Take a look at how to "prime" the engine too. Quite easy when you know how ;)
Where is this guy that made the thread? He hasn't replied in a while...

Just finished a night shift, but thanks for all the advice, I'll start looking for some of the spare parts today, I'll let use know how I get on with it, it will be Wednesday before I get near it though

Just finished a night shift, but thanks for all the advice, I'll start looking for some of the spare parts today, I'll let use know how I get on with it, it will be Wednesday before I get near it though
Cool :)

Ok so bought some spares
Clutch shoes PN1806
Lower suspension arms 2pcs PD1746
Upper suspension arms 2pcs PD1745
Shock towers front and rear
Knuckles 4 pcs PD1498
Servo saver

Other than a spare fuel tank is there any other items I should stock up on that are likely to fail?

I found parts pretty easy to come by on the net

Ok so bought some spares
Clutch shoes PN1806
Lower suspension arms 2pcs PD1746
Upper suspension arms 2pcs PD1745
Shock towers front and rear
Knuckles 4 pcs PD1498
Servo saver

Other than a spare fuel tank is there any other items I should stock up on that are likely to fail?

I found parts pretty easy to come by on the net
Clutch springs, Glow plugs, pull starts....

Got extra glow plugs as well as other spares "can't stop buying parts at the moment", started the truck last night briefly but the full run in and tune up starts today, so thanks in advance I expect there will be a few questions

We'll about 8 tanks in and it seems to be running great!!!!

:T/Tiger rigs generally run very well in my own experience. They are also very tuneable in the chassis department with varying ways to 'improve' shock action and ability to find other parts that will suit from other rigs (shock springs, clutch bells etc).

Number one improvement I found was the instant I upgraded the stock servo's. So much more control and no slugishness in the steering. My front wheels will turn lock to lock at WOT if required, though that usually flips the rig into a series of barrel rolls!!

Just added this up, I must be getting on £450, that's the spending done for this month, so much for a cheap rc truck!!!

take it by the English currency, that you are UK based??

Nice! Did a 5 day cycling tour up their in 2013 on Raleigh Choppers... Based in Inverness for the week, we toured the west Highlands including Isle of Skye...

Nice! Did a 5 day cycling tour up their in 2013 on Raleigh Choppers... Based in Inverness for the week, we toured the west Highlands including Isle of Skye...
You should come to wales too if you like cycling, a good ride round lake vyrnwy is 12 miles... :) they use pounds in wales too. I live in england, where we use pounds too.

Also, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are talking about the renoundly uncomfortable bike that every kid wanted even though they were tiring- the one with the high backed seat?

Back