TTR EK4 S2 Project BEAST MODE

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Project update: Holy Sh_t!
Maybe it's taboo to talk about build costs but I'll throw it out there anyhow.
I tallied up the grand total to build this project and damn near fell off my chair.

1. Old, worn out RTR EK4 monster truck (complete) $200.00
2. Total cost of factory replacement parts and upgrade parts combined: $848.00

If math serves me right, initial cost of truck ($200) + parts upgrades ($848) =DAMN!
WTH was I thinking?!:\ Guess I went a bit overboard.
Although I kept all the salvageable original parts, the only original parts remaining on the truck is the chassis plate, mud guards, F&R diffs, shock towers,
F&R bulk heads, 1 shock absorber, a few screws , servo mounts, and rear hub carriers.

Fun wise, this project was worth every penny. Performance wise? Time will tell.

Next update: starting, break in, tuning, etc. (when free time allows)

you could have bought a Kyosho STRR truggy for that............or nearly Two Hotbodies D8T...........either way your project looks good.......

Last edited:
Project update: Holy Sh_t!
Maybe it's taboo to talk about build costs but I'll throw it out there anyhow.
I tallied up the grand total to build this project and damn near fell off my chair.

1. Old, worn out RTR EK4 monster truck (complete) $200.00
2. Total cost of factory replacement parts and upgrade parts combined: $848.00

If math serves me right, initial cost of truck ($200) + parts upgrades ($848) =DAMN!
WTH was I thinking?!:\ Guess I went a bit overboard.
Although I kept all the salvageable original parts, the only original parts remaining on the truck is the chassis plate, mud guards, F&R diffs, shock towers,
F&R bulk heads, 1 shock absorber, a few screws , servo mounts, and rear hub carriers.

Fun wise, this project was worth every penny. Performance wise? Time will tell.

Next update: starting, break in, tuning, etc. (when free time allows)

I feel your pain on this! After getting the "Basket Case Savage" running I totaled up the cost and could have bought a new Savage with A LOT of uprades....would have been nicer than what I have now. It's the joy of getting an old rig running good and looking good that makes it worth it. You have a great looking rig bro!

Last edited:
Thats an awesome write up, I'm going to polish mine up a bit and get a video up. If I could find aftermarket parts for the ek4 I would be broke by sunrise :)
Thanks man. I gotta give sv250 some props. He was a big help with my project.
Wheels/Tires, shock towers, center spur gear, front and rear bumpers, body mounts, front lower shock mount and body are all unique to the EK4. Everything else is interchangeable with the EB4 S2. That includes all the red anodized, and carbon fiber aftermarket parts. Fleabay is probably your best bet for locating parts.

you could have bought a Kyosho STRR truggy for that............or nearly Two Hotbodies D8T...........either way your project looks good.......

In hindsight, probably not one of my better ideas :hehe: but, in my quest to be weird, I think I created something completely different. Its one of a kind as far as I know.

I feel your pain on this! After getting the "Basket Case Savage" running I totaled up the cost and could have bought a new Savage with A LOT of uprades....would have been nicer than what I have now. It's the joy of getting an old rig running good and looking good that makes it worth it. You have a great looking rig bro!

Thanks SMaxxin. Do you have a thread link to your Basket Case Savage project you could post? I'd love to see it.

I have to say this has been one of my favorite projects to follow on this forum. The very first post in this thread states it all. You had an explicit goal you wanted to achieve, and through trial and tribulation you are working toward that. And at the end of the day you have something no one else does. THAT is a custom project, IMO. Great job man. I know I learned a lot.

Man this thing looks great. I like the comparison pic between stock, and modded, also great write up in your thread it was easy to follow along.....Thanks.

Thanks man. I gotta give sv250 some props. He was a big help with my project.
Wheels/Tires, shock towers, center spur gear, front and rear bumpers, body mounts, front lower shock mount and body are all unique to the EK4. Everything else is interchangeable with the EB4 S2. That includes all the red anodized, and carbon fiber aftermarket parts. Fleabay is probably your best bet for locating parts.

In hindsight, probably not one of my better ideas :hehe: but, in my quest to be weird, I think I created something completely different. Its one of a kind as far as I know.

Thanks SMaxxin. Do you have a thread link to your Basket Case Savage project you could post? I'd love to see it.

I love Your attitude my friend ! Awesome Job on the build and I am looking forward to seeing some running videos...

Thanks for the kind words and support brothers!
Videos coming soon. My phone camera sucks so my next purchase will be a Go Pro.

Thanks for the very informative thread sir. It serves as my inspitation to proceed my my project too...
Is there anyone here who can help me find the o ring set for the carburator of the EK4 s2?

Looks pretty awesome bro! I try not to ever look at overall costs of builds...Ignorance is bliss as they say lol.

Thanks for the very informative thread sir. It serves as my inspitation to proceed my my project too...
Is there anyone here who can help me find the o ring set for the carburator of the EK4 s2?

I'm glad I could help and inspire you Dhanvic. I'd like to see a build thread for your project in the near future. As Greywolf mentioned, forget the build cost, just have fun with it.
If you have the Pro .70 engine I think ebay is your best bet for carb o rings and I believe Pro .70 and Pro .90 o rings are interchangeable.
I know the exhaust gaskets are.

Update on my project: There's none. lol I put my project on the shelf as work got in the way of my fun time.. As luck would have it, a few co workers have recently been bitten by the nitro bug and we're gonna build a dirt track in the back lot at work. Looks like I'll get some run time on this puppy this summer

A cool project, I make it habit of not totaling up receipts, I have found I don't want to know how much got spent!

Looks pretty awesome bro! I try not to ever look at overall costs of builds...Ignorance is bliss as they say lol.
I try to remain blissfully ignorant.

A cool project, I make it habit of not totaling up receipts, I have found I don't want to know how much got spent!
Likewise. If I know how much I spend I'll quit the hobby.

I ordered a few parts of the ek4 from rotor hobbies singapore. I've gone through a lot of hunting for the carburator o rings as they do t have it in stock and may have it after a month or two! But i emailed thunder tiger and they were so helpful providing me measurements. Made a few trips to local automotive shops and found it from a regular hardware!

I'm having trouble with the starting axle too, keeps on loosing off and ending up removing the engine again and again to put the screws on...i inquired with rotor hobbies singapore and they are all so friendly to assist me.but, i bought the wrong part that i need...i thought its an upgrade--but is not....

Is there a way to make it work...
idb4wWMuj
pavYf5R9j
hlCx8kjlj

Last edited:
Hi Nitrotrout
Can you tell me where you brought your cooling heads from as I'm chasing a new one my self and I can't find one anywhere.
Cheers
Lemmy

Hi Nitrotrout
Can you tell me where you brought your cooling heads from as I'm chasing a new one my self and I can't find one anywhere.
Cheers
Lemmy

Lemmy, Ebay is probably your best bet these days.
I think I have a couple of used ones lying around if you find it impossible to locate a new one.

Hi Nitrotrout
Cheers
Lemmy

I have a bran new one in the package....could be yours my friend;-)

I have tried amazon, Walmart and eBay but they all say out of stock or unavailable on back order, the local suppliers here in Victoria have had them on back order since October. If you can both pm me with what you want for them Nitrotrout and Tyler Bthat would be great.
Cheers
Lemmy

After not being able to find a new head I decided I give making one a go.

Attachments

• DSC_0131.JPG
    DSC_0131.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC_0133.JPG
    DSC_0133.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_0134.JPG
    DSC_0134.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0135.JPG
    DSC_0135.JPG