drag racing my jato

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great idea. I go through tires like fuel on mine so may try that.

Thats gonna give you some really high rollout with tires that big. I believe some 1/8 GT tires like Ipanemas or GRPs would probably be a bit smaller but still have the same rubber slick performance. I've not placed the Ipanemas next to a set of XO-1 tires so I'm not the exact size difference. I'll have to compare them when I go to redo my Jato.

Those are similar to GRPs. IDK about the grip difference but the smaller rollout would give you faster acceleration.

I have a lrp.30 bumpstart engine on a hot racing extended chassis ,be prepared to rebuild the transmission regularly if you dragrace with that engine,its too much torque ,I do highspeed runs with mine and the stock tranny gears get stripped alot even though i am not stumping on it from a dead start as required for drag racing,i converted to 17mm and use alpha wheels for onroad cars.along with a 40t spur and 25t clutch

Where can you buy a rotary engine like that you could put in a Jato?

they may have, i have seen a few around on Jatos and other 2wd speed cars, not sure if they are still being made or not.

Id love to build a Jato with one of those but when i looked around once I couldnt seem to find them so I assumed they were discontinued. I could be wrong.

Jerzy10, is the height over 4 inches tall on the tires you linked with the belted rubber ? And do you order them glued ? If not what glue have you used that holds at high speeds ? I'm not exactly dragging, but speed runs, what foam insert type would you suggest for speed runs in the options given with those tires ?, I am wanting the fastest mph, I am used to the 18tz and after using some blue thunder sport 20%(1st time using it as it was all I could get, then was too late reading it had 19% oil which ended up taking my 18tz to over 350 degrees, usually I use O'dennels or Byrons 20%)
So for kicks I put in a OS .12 eb-modded (with silver head) and was going to try it first with 24/54 gearing- (my tires are 1/8th scale preglued/rimmed cheepos "$20 for all 4"-
I really like the sound of a 40 tooth spur and 25 tooth clutch, can someone post a link to where I can get those ? I think 26/50 is as low as i can get with the .8 stock pitch but dont know for sure.
Also don't know if that gearing only works with big bores, as I have an aftermarket silver chassis, I don't know if it's extended or not, but nonetheless I have a few modded .12s from when I raced and figured what the hell for speed runs.

I ordered mine pre-mounted. I'll measure the height when I get home. You can use Revo gears (mod 1.0). I've use 20/40 gearing in the past.

I ordered mine pre-mounted. I'll measure the height when I get home. You can use Revo gears (mod 1.0). I've use 20/40 gearing in the past.

Thank you, without me having a big block would it be necessary for me gearing wise ?
I think the RPM's of modded racing .12's are close to what you guys are using and know that drag type competition is out of the question-
In terms of achieving highest mph with a modded .12tz, would I have any advantages changing to ".1"/Revo gearing ? And what would you say for 24/54 -4 inch tires ?

The tires are almost 4 inches exactly, That's with some wear. They all taller then Traxxas 2.8 w/ proline road rages. Also they are 17mm hubs not the stock 12mm. I used the Revo gearing for more top speed not drag racing. I'm also running a stock O.S. 18TZ so your modded 12TZ should be able to pull the Jato just fine with that gearing.

Awesome, I appreciate your help, I also have the 17 hex's on mine.

I run a 24 54 gearing option. Mine with a 3.3 will do 55-60 pretty easy all day. I was running a 22 56 and it was way too much top end. I ran out of real estate before top speed. I think with your engine a 20 56 would be a good gear option. You gonna have to play with different set ups to see what's the best option that you can control it. I have never drove a jato with that much engine so honestly I can't tell you what to do lol.
I've got 3 jato's two with .32's 1 with a .19 on it I also use a gear ratio of 54/24 on the .32 but I have proline street fighter tires on it,that are 2.70x4.75 and its a beast all the way through the run.

Back