Ofna x1 CRT help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aMawds

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
So I picked up a used Ofna X1 CRT last year that had a huge motor in it. Decided I wanted to race so I picked up a Werks B2 .21 engine on a budget. Ran break in tanks etc. Fast forward to this year and I'm trying to get it running right. Many people have helped tune it, nobody can get it to leave the line in a hurry. It'll be fine on the bench but always have a hesitation before running like a raped ape up top. Makes it hard to clear triples without taking wide lines. Temps are good around 210-220 usually but I tuned it running lean enough to hit 250 once and the problem was still there. I was running gold 1.1 clutch springs with composite shoes on the stock clutch setup. Swapped to blue aluminum and it got better so I think this is a clutch/gearing issue. Running a 14 tooth bell with what should be a 62 tooth spur. Next plan of attack is to drop to as low a pinion as possible. Pretty small track with only a couple straights. Any other ideas? It's driving me absolutely mad. So mad I literally had everything I needed in an online shopping card ready to convert to electric until I reminded myself I just bought an electric buggy and talked myself out of the madness.

Getting it to leave the line in a hurry is ALL in the LSN. Don't try to adjust anything till it's completely warmed up, then lean the LSN barely an hour's worth on a clock dial. (turned IN) Drive it around a little then test it. If it didn't improve enough, do it again. Always check your temps since a low speed needle set too lean will cause a really quick overheat.

That's what I figured, and I as well as a few of the better buggy guys tried that until it was terribly lean on the low end

I'm thinking I potentially just need to accept the fact that a .21 engine, and a budget one at that, in a relatively heavy truggy with loads of traction just isn't going to spin tire and scream away out of the turns like a buggy will. Probably just need to get better at holding more speed in the corners, but I do feel I need to gear down. Top speed is just about fast enough to be unstable, and I could use a little better acceleration. I've followed that flow chart before, spending a couple hours tuning. When it's to a point where it holds a stable idle, comes down to idle properly, screams like a raped ape when it gets on the pipe and holds consistent temps at around 220 degrees, it doesn't have good low end power. In fact nothing I've done thus far with needle tuning has gotten me where I want. Tried a couple other pipes too. I also found out the stock clutch bell is actually a 13T, but I put a 14T on it because that's what it had on a much bigger motor when I bought it. Bouncing these idea's around, do you think I'm on the right track?

I feel like an idiot, I have a 2013 pipe I haven't tried too.

Post a pic of yourself so we can see what one looks like

Back