drag racing my jato

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mal

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I'm trying to drag race my jato i have a lrp 32 buku clutch 56 tooth spur gear jaco foams is this a good setup?

I would of went with a moded .21 personally

Personally a LRP .32 in a Jato is way too much. That's like a Jet engine on a Honda accord. It's gonna be fast but completely uncontrollable. I guarantee my 3.3 jato will beat you in a drag race because I will get A to B without loosing complete control. I agree with @hotrodrob a .21 would be much better. Do as you like and I'm sure it would be interesting to drive but as far as racing I don't think it will do to well. You asked about the 65 mph mark yes it will do 65 easy with the right gears with a 3.3 engine so a LRP .32 with right gears you could probably hit close to 80 if you don't run out of real estate. Really speed is more gearing and less motor.

Personally a LRP .32 in a Jato is way too much. That's like a Jet engine on a Honda accord. It's gonna be fast but completely uncontrollable. I guarantee my 3.3 jato will beat you in a drag race because I will get A to B without loosing complete control. I agree with @hotrodrob a .21 would be much better. Do as you like and I'm sure it would be interesting to drive but as far as racing I don't think it will do to well. You asked about the 65 mph mark yes it will do 65 easy with the right gears with a 3.3 engine so a LRP .32 with right gears you could probably hit close to 80 if you don't run out of real estate. Really speed is more gearing and less motor.
Is theb56 tooth spur gear good

I run a 24 54 gearing option. Mine with a 3.3 will do 55-60 pretty easy all day. I was running a 22 56 and it was way too much top end. I ran out of real estate before top speed. I think with your engine a 20 56 would be a good gear option. You gonna have to play with different set ups to see what's the best option that you can control it. I have never drove a jato with that much engine so honestly I can't tell you what to do lol.

I'm thinking bout rb innovation modding it

You talking about the super charger? Don't waist your money.

You talking about the stupid charger? Don't waste your $

I would agree to an agreement if I were in agreement to what we were agreeing on

Id get Robin to mod it but I believe he prefers to mod engines that have never seen fuel. he might do it if its not seen much fuel though IDK for sure.

I think he meant RBmods. He advertises a modded 3.3 engine for drag jatos. Has 2 glow plugs etc. IMO the OS18tz is the fastest engine you will find for the stock chassis.

Now if you get the BB conversion chassis then you can get a high power/rpm bump start.21. High end buggy .21s will smoke any 28-32 mt engine. 44-48k rpm vs 30-38k

Thats what i plan on doing to my Jato one of these days when I get around to rebuilding it. a 45K+ RPM .21, possibly modded.

Send the Lrp.32 to a really good engine mod guy. Then use the brute torque it has and gear way up. My brother put a 3.3 in a rustler and everybody was like that's way to much blah blah blah! Us old school guys say no replacement for displacement LOL! Right now we are working on putting a Losi 3.4 in a Rustler.

Last edited:
The .32 modded by the best will still be slower than a decent out the box .21. .32s belong in monster trucks. 22/36 us the steepest gearing you can get in the jato. My jato turns it with no problem. Excessive tourque wont get you anywhere. I've spanked a few .28 powered jatos. The fastest drag jatos out here are running novarossi .21s. They are hitting 60mph in 132feet with top speeds in the 70-75 range.

Now the foams, i dont like them. A lot of guys run them here. Problem is the jato uses the rear wheels for braking. One hard brake applucation and your foams are dust or flat spotted. I run traxxas xo1 wheels with 17mm conversion.

The .32 modded by the best will still be slower than a decent out the box .21. .32s belong in monster trucks. 22/36 us the steepest gearing you can get in the jato. My jato turns it with no problem. Excessive tourque wont get you anywhere. I've spanked a few .28 powered jatos. The fastest drag jatos out here are running novarossi .21s. They are hitting 60mph in 132feet with top speeds in the 70-75 range.

Now the foams, i dont like them. A lot of guys run them here. Problem is the jato uses the rear wheels for braking. One hard brake applucation and your foams are dust or flat spotted. I run traxxas xo1 wheels with 17mm conversion.
That's a great idea with the XO1 wheels. How did you get them to work on the front though? The XO1 is all wheel drive and the Jato is 2wd. Are you only using the XO1 wheels on the rear?

Only on the rear
baf070a5.jpg

Back