painting question #2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok So I'm trying to paint some stuff in my computer and I'm having a problem. Theres some pieces I painted with fluorescent red spray paint that I want to put fluorescent yellow accents on. The acrylic fluorescent yellow (Wicked Colors brand) doesn't really show up on the fluorescent red spray paint unless you put a couple layers of acrylic white down first. The problem with this is that under UV light the yellow doesn't look solid, there are darker spots in it here and there like the white undercoat is showing through more than the fluorescent yellow. So my first question is what kind of fluorescent yellow paint should I be using for this (I need something that can be brushed on for fine detail) and do I need to undercoat it with white first?

Second thing is I have some stuff I wan to airbrush on to the sides of the radiators. They are covered with some sort of white enamel looking stuff. What type of paint should I use on a surface like that for airbrushing? I have a feeling the acrylic wont work any better on this surface than on the other surfaces I've been trying to use it on.

Thanks,

Should I possibly try some sort of lacqour based air brush paint thats not for lexan? Id thought about it but I dont even know what to look for in terms of a brand name or anything.

You have the right idea, white is the best foundation color for yellow. Yellow is notorious for being transparent. Consistent speed and distance from the paint surface along with multiple coats should give you even coverage. Just keep in mind the more coats you apply, the darker your yellow will appear.

As far as the surface your painting on, it's probably enamel or powder coating. A quick scuff with a scotch brite pad will help with adhesion and you can pretty much use whatever paint you prefer.

For air brushing I'd recommend either Testors paints reduced with Testors thinner, from your local hobby store or, for a better color variety, check out House of Colors paints from your local automotive paint supply store

testors is way cheaper than house of color, only need 3 colors, and this is pretty much a one time deal so I think I'll go that route.

One more question though, if I reordered the acrylic fan covers that I'm trying to paint and use a scotchbrite pad on them and then lay a white foundation with acrylic wicked colors paint, would that stick well? Would i then have a better base than trying to use acrylic paints over top of spray paint like I'm doing now?

I lied one further question...Also I'm kind of confused how to paint this two tone. I'm used to painting lexan bodies where you mask your stuff off and paint in layers because whatever paint gets on areas that are already painted you can't see. well painting like this thats not the case, It seems like the logical thing to do would be to make off the yellow highlight areas and paint the red first and then go back in and paint the yellow but if I do that I'm going to get overspray on the red paint. Doing the colors in reverse would seem even more noticeable overspray. Sorry I've never really painted much of anything in my life except a few lexan bodies lol. I should clarify that I'm refering to using an airbrush for both. I guess I could use a brush for the highlights but wont that leave brush strokes?

As far as your plastic fan covers go, you need to remember they weren't meant to be painted. The plastic still has some release material on it so it needs to be thoroughly cleaned with alcohol to get it all off.
ALWAYS prime the part first. Allow it to dry for several hours before doing the base coats, then with about a day in between, mask and do the other coats. Multiple thin coats evenly sprayed with ample drying time between. If the paints aren't properly cured before the next step you can pull previous layers off when removing the masking tape. For masking with a FAR reduced risk of pulling paint loose use Frisket paper from a local art supply store.

Do acrylic airbrush paints have primers? I dont really see any.