1/8 scale starter box questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHTWLKR

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i just got my first 1/8 scale and I'm very excited to put some smoke in the tailpipe, but before i do i need a starter box. the buggy i have is a hot bodies d8. the universal boxes all look a little different with the placement of the pegs. I'm sure there are some that will work and some that wont. How do i tell a good starter box from a bad one? is it worth buying an expensive one compared to the cheaper ones that claim to do the same thing? thanks in advanced guys!(and girls)

I'm using a "cheap" bump box with dual 550 motors and it works fine. Was $50 dollars. One thing to ALWAYS check is that the wheel in your box is turning the right way, if not you have to re-solder the wires at the motor(s) to the opposite terminals they were already fixed to. Or if like me you use a 12v lead acid battery for your bump box you can switch the positive and negative wires at the battery to reverse the motors. The wheel should spin clockwise when viewed from the front which will make the flywheel spin counterclockwise when viewed from the front. I bring all this up because sometimes the wires are soldered to the starter box motor(s) incorrectly at the factory, causing the flywheel to turn in the wrong direction when you try to fire up the engine.

thats a very good point. ill be sure to check that! thank you guys appreciate the help.

A slightly old thread, but then, I think this may be of use...

There is another consideration to make with bump boxes....

That is, is there enough room for a small fuel tank and pump, can I you put a secondary small battery in to power a glow plug ignitor?

My own bump box has a small fuel tank, fuel pump and glow plug ignitor all wired in so that I can go out on a "test" run with just the bump box and enough fuel for 3 or 4 tanks of "testing". With the glow ignitor also included, I just have to grab the bump box, radio and rig. Tools are kept in the integral tool tray :)
It is powered by a 12v L/A battery with twin race-pack backup.

Couple of vids of my bump box.

i feel like i want a starter box but i have no problems starting my rigs with the pull start. They crank so easy that i can't justify buying a bump box at the moment. Do some rigs require a starter box to get them started or do people just prefer them over other methods.

when you have had a few snapped pull cords, or broken a few new engines in, you realise just how much easier it is to use a bump box. It is easier and faster to start the rig and you do not get sore shoulders from the constant pulling on the string.

Just makes life less hassle. less messing about also means more bashing time too!

Okay that's great to hear. I think i will buy one soon and skip the broken cords and stress;) thanks bro.

Find what suits you.

some find bump boxes a hassle, others, myself included prefer a bump box.

personally, I modded mine with a fuel tank and pump, glow ignitor, L/A battery with racepack back up and glow plug rack.

it also helps that it has a built in tool tray, so when I take my buggy out, all I need is the bump box, radio, buggy if I am only running for testing or short periods.

for anything longer, I carry a gallon of fuel in addition.

I like that setup you have with all the bells and whistles, you really did a good job and frankly if that kind of thing is not available on the market i would look into a patent on your box. Seriously cool! as far as my preference goes i like to try everything once so i will get a box and who knows maybe even that Serpent GT i always wanted.. lol

In my opinion bump box is the only way to go. Some guys love the pull start but me personally I hate the pull start. It's frustrating and with breaking a new engine in it's terrible.

All i've had is the Traxxas EZ start which was cool but i hated it, And the pull start which has pissed me off so many times i just laugh now when it starts slipping, i used to get PISSED! i think the box will be good :)

obviously the starter box eliminates the one way bearing and everything starter related. do you need a different back plate or do you just remove the starting mechanism when you use a bump box?

You have to have a different backplate. Most all nitro engines have a starter box back plate available for purchase. The back plate I use on my revo doesn't require a one way bearing. I'm pretty sure none of them do. Because the chassis isn't flat on the revo to use the starter box I had to mod the starter box a little.

removing and eliminating the pull start, one way bearing, one way bearing axle and switching backplates does have benefits...

without the additional rotational mass and drag, the engine runs a small percentage better.

the only downside is the constant need to carry the bump box.

I kept the pull start on my engine until I got used to carrying the bump box. In the end it became second nature to grab and carry the bump box, so I removed the pull starter and switched backplates.

I have never looked back ever since.

Back