Spray Painting Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Sorry this isnt RC paint related but it is paint related so if this isnt the right forum feel free to move it to a more proper place.

So I have some plastic pieces I needed to spray paint the other day and I painted a good portion of it but I had some pieces to touch up or give additional coats to. I had no problems that day. Well a week or two went by and I decided I need to finish up the painting so I started to do just that. problem is I keep getting areas like what you see in the picture popping up and I have no idea why its doing that. I coated them with the first coat of white as an undercoat and I am using Krylon fusion for that part as its says its specifically formulated for plastic. After that I'm putting a layer of fluorescent red over top as you can see in the pic. This is Ace Hardware brand (seems to be made by red devil) and it says it can be used on plastic but isnt necessarily formulated specifically for plastic. The weird part is some parts I only got partially painted white the first time around (needed more coats), some I got painted completely with the white, and some I even got painted completely with the fluorescent red. I did not have this problem the first day at all. Now all of a sudden when I'm going back to finish all the painting I keep getting this popping up on a bunch of pieces. One thing to note is I did one piece from scratch today and had none of this happen to it at all. Its only the pieces where I started the job 2 weeks ago and I'm trying to finish now. Its really screwing up my project.

Any idea whats causing this and how to stop it from doing this?

rsz_1img_7633.jpg

Last edited:
Some paints, not all, require a very specific window between coats. Usually it will tell you that on the can. It's probably between 2 hours minimum and 24 maximum.
Beyond that time, the 2nd coat does not chemically "Bond" with the first coat and when it cures it softens part of the hardened layer and pulls at it creating the wrinkles. There's no way to avoid that.
When the second coat or color is applied within the proper time they will chemically combine and cure as one layer.
End result? You're to blame. :thumbs-up:

Be sure your paints are either enamel or laquer, but not both. Laquer has a much more aggressive bite than enamel causing the enamel to lift or wrinkle.
You can spray enamel on laquer with no problems, not so much vise versa.

Trout's right, but some paints still require the second coat in a specific amount of time, that time period being before the first coat is completely cured but after it's had a chance to skin over.

you're right Rolex, the can of white that I was using says only to add additional coats before 24 hours or after 7 days and while it has been longer than 7 days I'm sure thats what is happening here. I dont spray paint much stuff so I wasn't aware that. I've managed to sand a couple of the really bad pieces down and repaint them enough to salvage them but if you look real close you can see the unevenness where the paint wrinkled up and was sanded off completely. Fortunately a lot of the pieces are coming out fine. Oh well. lesson learned.

You can only get away with the 2nd coat problem by doing 'mist' coats. Basically, coats so thin that they flash quickly and don't have enough time to melt the previous layer. Several dustings will be needed to get full coverage, though and you'll probably have to buff with compound to get it to shine.

Sorry this isnt RC paint related but it is paint related so if this isnt the right forum feel free to move it to a more proper place.

So I have some plastic pieces I needed to spray paint the other day and I painted a good portion of it but I had some pieces to touch up or give additional coats to. I had no problems that day. Well a week or two went by and I decided I need to finish up the painting so I started to do just that. problem is I keep getting areas like what you see in the picture popping up and I have no idea why its doing that. I coated them with the first coat of white as an undercoat and I am using Krylon fusion for that part as its says its specifically formulated for plastic. After that I'm putting a layer of fluorescent red over top as you can see in the pic. This is Ace Hardware brand (seems to be made by red devil) and it says it can be used on plastic but isnt necessarily formulated specifically for plastic. The weird part is some parts I only got partially painted white the first time around (needed more coats), some I got painted completely with the white, and some I even got painted completely with the fluorescent red. I did not have this problem the first day at all. Now all of a sudden when I'm going back to finish all the painting I keep getting this popping up on a bunch of pieces. One thing to note is I did one piece from scratch today and had none of this happen to it at all. Its only the pieces where I started the job 2 weeks ago and I'm trying to finish now. Its really screwing up my project.

Any idea whats causing this and how to stop it from doing this?

View attachment 15273
Just a question, are those corsair AF120/SP120 fan rings you're painting there? Personal favourite PC fan- although looking at some Gelid wings at the minute. As for you're problem, I was painting a metal strut on ago kart and this happened- it was down to oil on the metal, so try cleaning them with Isopropyl Alcohol...

Yeah they are. My new rig I'm building has 12 SP120's and 1 AF140 going in it.

Heres a link to my Facebook photo album (you dont have to have a FB account to view them) that i have the most recent pics stored. Theres a thread on here too but its not as up to date as this photo album. This album isnt exactly up to date either as the build is evolving as I'm building it. For example I'm in the processes of redoing the paint scheme to incorporate more UV red in it than it had before, the pics only show 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM but I'm ordring another 16GB kit for a total of 32GB, I'm also adding cathode UV lighting as well as LED UV lighting which isnt pictured yet, I've switched out control boxes to control various lighting functions to a more complex one, about half of the swtiches for the custom front switch panel I'm planning have changed or been added to, Again none of which is reflected in the pics yet. I'll post more pics as i start getting some of the bigger progression steps done so folks will get a better overall sense of what it is I'm ultimately building.

Heres a link to my Facebook photo album (you dont have to have a FB account to view them) that i have the most recent pics stored. Theres a thread on here too but its not as up to date as this photo album. This album isnt exactly up to date either as the build is evolving as I'm building it. For example I'm in the processes of redoing the paint scheme to incorporate more UV red in it than it had before, the pics only show 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM but I'm ordring another 16GB kit for a total of 32GB, I'm also adding cathode UV lighting as well as LED UV lighting which isnt pictured yet, I've switched out control boxes to control various lighting functions to a more complex one, about half of the swtiches for the custom front switch panel I'm planning have changed or been added to, Again none of which is reflected in the pics yet. I'll post more pics as i start getting some of the bigger progression steps done so folks will get a better overall sense of what it is I'm ultimately building.
Looks real nice :) And that is THE best looking Maximus 6 motherboard out there....In fact...THE best looking motherboard I've seen so far :) It's gonna look real nice with the white and red colour scheme. Are you going to spray the light bars on the Dominator Platinums red? It'll give it a nice red glow.

P.S, Did you sleeve the cables yourself or were they done for you?- if so, where?

Thanks man. I sleeved them myself, in fact I made the entire cables myself. Huge time sink and costs a mint, I'll never do it again....especially now that more and more companies are popping up that are manufacturing nice cable sets withotu heatshrink and places liek cablemods are even using paracord like I used on mine instead of the plastic sleeving which can let the wire color bleed through a little bit more if not done just right. You be shocked how long it can take to make just the 24 pin connector. Youd also me shocked at how many meters of cable it takes to make that cable lol.

IDK what I'm gonna do with the lightbars on the Dominators. Originally when I bought the first 16GB I wasn't planning on the current rig they are going in now. Since they are now going in a UV lighted kit I'm tempted to just cover the bars up with some thin strips of electrical tape so it doesn't interfere with my custom lighting modes I'm installing. Part of me wants to paint the white dominator letters on the tops of them fluorescent red but I have no way to stay in the lines cause its just printed on. Unless I can maybe use some bob dively. I might try that.

Right now I'm working on a custom switch panel for the front of the machine. I'm not using any of the normal switches that come with the Corsair 900D case. I'll be posting more pics as I get things completed. I've been having a lot of things holding me back from getting to spend much time at all working on any of my hobby stuff but I'll get there. :)

Thanks man. I sleeved them myself, in fact I made the entire cables myself. Huge time sink and costs a mint, I'll never do it again....especially now that more and more companies are popping up that are manufacturing nice cable sets withotu heatshrink and places liek cablemods are even using paracord like I used on mine instead of the plastic sleeving which can let the wire color bleed through a little bit more if not done just right. You be shocked how long it can take to make just the 24 pin connector. Youd also me shocked at how many meters of cable it takes to make that cable lol.

IDK what I'm gonna do with the lightbars on the Dominators. Originally when I bought the first 16GB I wasn't planning on the current rig they are going in now. Since they are now going in a UV lighted kit I'm tempted to just cover the bars up with some thin strips of electrical tape so it doesn't interfere with my custom lighting modes I'm installing. Part of me wants to paint the white dominator letters on the tops of them fluorescent red but I have no way to stay in the lines cause its just printed on. Unless I can maybe use some bob dively. I might try that.

Right now I'm working on a custom switch panel for the front of the machine. I'm not using any of the normal switches that come with the Corsair 900D case. I'll be posting more pics as I get things completed. I've been having a lot of things holding me back from getting to spend much time at all working on any of my hobby stuff but I'll get there. :)
For the light bars, here's a video by Linus tech tips that'll help in modding them: