tmaxx 3.3 engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamabraaaper

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
So I bought a used tmaxx 3.3 from craigslist and I'm the third owner. after a year of sitting I finally got to work on the thing I tore down and sealed the engine,greased the difs,and just cleaned up the truck. After learning the hard way that the piston was directional I was able to get it started and running but very weak. After almost throwing it at a brick wall I decided to let the pros get involved and took it to my lhs and spent about $100+ on various things to get it running mediocre at best. The guy said it had a pipe made for a big block and wasn't creating the back pressure needed and that the engine was not properly broken in. I'm trying to decide to whether to get the pipe and piston/sleeve and deal with the frustrating trx engine or to just find a reasonably priced aftermarket drop in. In my eyes there is no such thing as too much power, ill deal with the shredded gears as they come and replace what breaks with steel/ aluminum.
Thanks in advance -yamabraaper

Welcome to the forum...a few things you can do..

Trx has a replacement plan,you could send in your old one and get a brand new one for a discount,.

You could drop in a picco.21 max,which Imo is more than enough power
Anything more than that and your gunna need upgrades right from the get go,

Your still gunna need the proper pipe and header combo with ANY drop in type engine!

Welcome to the forum...a few things you can do..

Trx has a replacement plan,you could send in your old one and get a brand new one for a discount,.

You could drop in a picco.21 max,which Imo is more than enough power
Anything more than that and your gunna need upgrades right from the get go,

Your still gunna need the proper pipe and header combo with ANY drop in type engine!
Well this is my fourth tmaxx and I have just terrible luck with the trx. Do you have experience with the picco? My lhs recommended the dynamite mach 2 .19 do you have a preference/ any pros-cons? And thanks for the reply anything helps.

If your looking for a good replacement engine for the Maxx I recommend the LRP.28 or the picco.28. Dynamite makes ok engines but there mill isn't as good as the TRX. The LRP or Picco will really wake the Maxx up though and be a lot more fun than going back with a small block.

If your looking for a good replacement engine for the Maxx I recommend the LRP.28 or the picco.28. Dynamite makes ok engines but there mill isn't as good as the TRX. The LRP or Picco will really wake the Maxx up though and be a lot more fun than going back with a small block.
Thanks,"bamafan" how do they compare as far as availability of parts? And being 15 I have a fairly small budget would I need an engine mount? What pipe will run best for each? And out of the two what is your preference? ( I've never posted on forum before so sorry if I'm being difficult I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can before I spend the hard earned money).

Both engines are very comparable in price. You will need a big block mount but the pipe and header you have sounds like it may work for a big block. Take your pipe and header to your LHS and see if he has either of those engines stocked and see if they will work. You can pick a big block mount up for around $60-100. Not to knock your hopes but you should know this is a very expensive hobby and Nitro is more expensive than electric as far as parts and upkeep. If you are on a budget being as your only 15 you may want to sell the Nitro and buy you a nice Emaxx or E revo. I think you will get a lot more enjoyment out of it for very little cost after you buy the rig except broken parts. Your looking at dropping another $200-$300 in your Maxx for just a engine and mount plus fuel etc. You could sell the Maxx as a Roller for $200-$300 depends on upgrades and buy a nice used E maxx or E revo for around the same price. I'm not saying nitro isn't fun I have three myself but they are costly. Hope this helps and if your still interested in sticking with the Maxx I can attach some links for engines and mounts. Also with a Big block you would probably want to invest in a bump starter box since with the pull start on a big block you will get frustrated really fast.

The dyn.19 is discontinued but there are still some around on ebay,they are an ok mill and are a direct drop in for a t-maxx.....I still say your best bet is to just go the traxxas trade in route,cost will be way down and it will be easier to keep the fun factor going,otherwise your gunna wind up spending some coin on the maxx,I've had countless trx engines and when broken in properly they really aren't too bad of an engine buddy.
The picco.21 is a great engine,plenty of power and reliable,but it's gonna cost ya

Last edited:
="hotrodrob, post: 1082347, member: 28886"]The dyn.19 is discontinued but there are still some around on ebay,they are an ok mill and are a direct drop in for a t-maxx.....I still say your best bet is to just go the traxxas trade in route,cost will be way down and it will be easier to keep the fun factor going,otherwise your gunna wind up spending some coin on the maxx,I've had countless trx engines and when broken in properly they really aren't too bad of an engine buddy.
The picco.21 is a great engine,plenty of power and reliable,but it's gonna cost ya[/QUOTE]
Could I put a different carb on? I've read about it a little bit if you have a link or any info on it

Put a different carb on what?

You can put a Losi 3.4 carb on it. Think you have to modify it a little but it's nothing major.

Ebay is your freind!

Not to knock your LHS, but it can a crap shoot as to weather the kid behind the counter has a clue as to what he's looking at and trying to diagnose.

I would ebay a new pull 3.3 before fooling with the Dynamite .19, they had bearing problems and never really sold well and good luck getting parts if needed.

What model Maxx are talking about, 4910-2.5(black trans), 4907/08--3.3(grey trans)?

A BB is not really feasible unless you get a BB chassis, trying to use a regular Maxx chassis with a BB is more PIA and hacking then is worth it.
Forget any Bump start only engine as you cannot use a bump box on a T maxx.

OS .21TM, Picco P-maxx P.21 are both beat drop-in engines, both will need a high flow filter and at least the maxx Resonator pipe or a THS pipe.
For a larger displacement there is the Force JL.28Maxx, it needs a good filter & pipe too and a better clutch(Buku is my choice).

MotorSaver filter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Large-M...167?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae50d3dd7
Resonator pipe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS...043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56712cfc53

Ebay is the cheapest place for a New pull 3.3 and you get to keep your old one for parts.

New pull 3.3
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas...686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58ac890bee

Picco P-Maxx P.21
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Picco-P-Ser...071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cb22ee5f
OS .21TM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Os-21Tm-Rev...579?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41913eb2db

Force JL.28 Maxx
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFNA-52205-...374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5afe8aab7e

Which way you go really depends on the amount of cash you want to put into it.

Well this is my fourth tmaxx and I have just terrible luck with the trx. Do you have experience with the picco? My lhs recommended the dynamite mach 2 .19 do you have a preference/ any pros-cons? And thanks for the reply anything helps.
They stopped making the Mach2 .19...Plus I have had a couple of them and they are hard to find parts for...

Back