chipped piston now what....help please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjoseph

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
Well i was fired up i finally got my new bearings and had no issues removing the old and putting in the new ones. That all ended when i realized i put the piston in backwards and in the process of trying to get the sleeve out again to fix it i chipped the bottom of the skirt!
I have a new piston and sleeve coming, the engine has a little more than a gallon of fuel through it. Since I had the engine modded I would like to reuse the sleeve with the new piston but I'm not sure if that is a good idea, so i wanted to see what others thought.
If it helps any i attached two photo's the second one shows how far i can push the piston in the sleeve before it gets stuck.
So my two options are use the new piston with my existing modded sleeve or use new piston with new non-modded sleeve.
one last question, looking at the second photo would you say the engine is fully broken in yet?
Thanks for your help.
20150127_201138.jpg
20150127_201232.jpg

I'm sorry but I don't see a chip in the sleeve the V notch should be to help you know which direction the sleeve goes in. Maybe there is another chip and my old blind eyes can't see it.

What engine is this? Are you sure the piston skirt is chipped? Some pistons have a "notch" machined into them.

maybe easier to see the chip in this photo, if not please take my word it is chipped. I would like to try and figure out if its a good idea to reuse the modded sleeve with a new piston or if I should use the modded sleeve as a paper weight and use new piston and sleeve.
Sleeve was not damaged by the chip at all as it happened when i was assembling not runing the engine.
engine is an os18tz
thanks again

Attachments

• 20150127_201001t1.jpg
    20150127_201001t1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 294
I see it now had to borrow Rolex's glasses first. :p

Don't use needle nose pliers to manipulate the sleeve or piston unless the tips have a rubber sleeve over them and even then you have to be REALLY careful. The fit of the piston within the sleeve is extremely tight at TDC even without compression so when you try to force the piston back down it's extremely important to take your time and as best you can apply force evenly so the piston doesn't get more "wedged" into the sleeve. Personally I always use my fingers, my pinky finger to be precise, to "push" the piston back to BDC when the piston has worked its way up into the sleeve while disassembling my engine. Apply a little after-run oil to the piston/sleeve if needed and push down on the top of the piston. From what I see in the pic I would replace the sleeve and piston to be safe and yes I believe some pistons do have that notch on the skirt of the piston only on both sides I believe. Unless you know for sure that those "notches" on the outside of the sleeve ports are supposed to be there replace it (looks like damage in those pics). Also what engine? Might even be more cost effective to replace the engine.

That chip will likely affect your performance, but if the skirt still covers the port like it should then it might still run good. You have a new set coming anyway, so replace the piston and call it good.