Dji Phantom 2: WARNING Beware of Auto Go Home Feature!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makuloco2000

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
If you have updated your Dji Phantom 2 software and enabled this cool new feature it may be a good idea to think twice about it and beware of what it can do. Please watch the video for details before you fly. Hope this helps!

Are you sure it was return to home that kicked in and not a lose of signal? 5.8ghz does not do so well when objects are in the way to interfere with its radio signal. Unlike the older 1.2/3 ghz and even 2.4 ghz technology, 5.8 ghz will not bend around objects....Rather it will bounce off an object and cause a lose of signal, even if only a brief moment the DJI is designed to activate RTH once signal is lost. Now once you it regains signal you should and I believe do have the ability to take control back of your quad but being as it hit a tree...Well that just plain sucks :/

Are you sure it was return to home that kicked in and not a lose of signal? 5.8ghz does not do so well when objects are in the way to interfere with its radio signal. Unlike the older 1.2/3 ghz and even 2.4 ghz technology, 5.8 ghz will not bend around objects....Rather it will bounce off an object and cause a lose of signal, even if only a brief moment the DJI is designed to activate RTH once signal is lost. Now once you it regains signal you should and I believe do have the ability to take control back of your quad but being as it hit a tree...Well that just plain sucks :/
Yes it was as I was right behind it maybe 10-15ft straight shot clear line of sight I was following someone through the woods and I was following behind the quad. It just sucks but all fixed I guess. I will probably be posting a video of the are right before it took off you can see what I mean.

I thought the radio was 2.4 GHz with the video downlink on 5.8GHz.

I thought the radio was 2.4 GHz with the video downlink on 5.8GHz.
Radio is 2.4 on the phantom 2
This was a phantom 2 vision plus so radio is 5.8 and the video downlink is 2.4.

Going to 5.8GHz for the radio is a very bad idea. DJI should have stayed with 2.4 GHz for the radio and gone with 900 MHz for the video down link and then gone to a WiFi translator. A lot of hams that deal with fast scan video use the 900 MHz band and have no problems going 100+ miles.

Back