Blizzard Truck/Thing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyryder

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This started life as a Blizzard EV, but I've got he DF-300 front bar on it, and I built some chain tensioners, so I don't have to over tighten the sprockets to keep the chain tight. I wrecked a set of those axle carrier parts, doing that. I've also got a full width skid plate, that I hand hammered the diff bulge in, but it just catches any little bit of debris that finds its way into the chassis. I'll be replacing it with something simpler, that'll let dirt and whatnot fall out.
truck11.jpg

New rod ends for easier maintenance. I had to get the blue ones!
truck12.jpg

I'm continuing the grand tradition of non snow-cat bodies on Blizzard chassis. I'm using a Tamiya High Lift body, and trying to keep the mounting pretty much stealthed. The bed's been shortened by about 1¼". (Did I mention the old Clodzilla bumper/brush guard?
truck10.jpg

The bed is bolted to a Lexan under-pan that attaches to the chassis with the factory body mounts. I need to add a little structure in front of the bed, to stiffen things up. I've added a full back wall on the cab, with holes that slide over pegs on the bed's new front wall. Inverted body posts are hidden behind the bumper, with the body clips tucking in under the cut out's for the High Lift's brush guard.
truck15.jpg
truck16.jpg
truck17.jpg
truck18.jpg
truck22.jpg
truck23.jpg

The bed's been cut up and bolted to an aluminum frame, to give me a useable cargo area I can detail up, as I get things for it. A tool box and fuel cans are necessities, as far as I'm concerned. I'll be brazing a light bar/chase rack kind of thing that I plan to put tie down tabs on.
truck14.jpg

Thats AWESOME!!!!! i always wanted a blizzard but it was never in the budget.

Thanks! This is actually my only currently running RC. I've had it for ab out 15 years, but it's just been collecting dust for most of that time, while I've been out of the hobby.

That thing is crazy! I'd love to see some action videos.

That's cool man,waterproof electronics?

Sadly no, but they really ought to be. The tray over the back of the chassis keeps snow and splashes out of the electronics areas, but I like to take it swamping on occasion, so I have to be careful how deep I go. I need to get some conformal coating for everything.

Thank you!

Not much done on it, lately. I did get my rear cage thing, built. Wish I'd known when I bought materials that most people use steel brake line. I used solid bar stock. The flat bits are from an old computer case side panel.

truck24.jpg

Does seem to help offset the Blizzard's extreme forward weight bias.

Close, but the very first monster truck on tank tracks was a Ford van, by Bigfoot.
Somewhere, on VHS tape, I have a special of the build and running of this incredible beast.
bgfotfstrx1203b2.jpg

Any more progress on it? Very cool looking rig!

Real life had me down for a few weeks. Right now, I'm trying to get the body painted. Amid a lot of paint issues, I've realized I don't like the three tone grey scheme I planned. I just about have to repaint the whole thing, at this point.

I did finally get he steering sorted out. For those who don't know, the steering on these single motor blizzards is a bit crude. It's disk brakes on either side of a gear diff. A combination of thick diff oil, and replacing the brake shoes with new ones cut from Formica samples seems to have finally tamed it.

I did build this thing, to keep the back of the body from getting torn up, when it drops down off things.

truck26.jpg

truck27.jpg

1/8" bar stock, and Mad Dog D-ring tabs. Still need to paint it.

Thanks!

I finally got the rear bumper mounted, and found out that I miscalculated on where that rear stinger/slider bar thing needs to be. I need it to come farther out, and be a little lower down. So, I had to build a new one. I did pull the D-ring tabs off the old one. No sense letting those go to waste. I've already given the new one a few coats of satin black Rust-Oleum. The rear cage will be getting the same paint.

truck29.jpg

The body is painted. I just need to make a few decals for it, then I can clear coat it, and start putting things back together.

truck30.jpg

This was originally going to be 3-tone gray, but I didn't like the way it looked with the third, darker shade on it.

This shot's for Rolex! :D
truck28.jpg

It's the current body, (wish Parma still made it) after my most recent run swampin' in the low spots in my back yard. This is after I dug all the leaves out of the undercarriage. Most of the mud is from climbing the burn pile, which is currently a mound of dirt, with twigs and branches on top. It's not a big climb, but it is an interesting challenge. (little traction on wood; slight overhang at the top; always ends up in a precarious spot, to turn for the descent....)

Loving this build. Like how you painted the wheel wells to resemble they've been patched over.

Back