looking for a hydro boat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With 1/8-scale boats they have to appear as much as possible to the real thing. You simply can't have something as simple as "The Boat" on the sides. Sometimes this is why the Sport 20 and 40 hydro's are more popular.as you can do them up any way that you'd like.
Go to the sanctioning body websites and read up on the rules for them. www.impba.net or www.namba.com .

Ok so then I'm gunna go with a sport 20 or sport 40 I enjoy the idea of my own idea kinda thing

Who makes good boats in the sport 20 and 40 so i can check those out and ty for all this help getting me started into a boating hobbie i been in the rc Hobbie for years now and now I'm wanting a boat lol

I guess I should ask any other places other than that one u said the other day

With the Sport 20 and 40 boats there's a good choice of hull types from old round-noses, pickle-forks and more modern designs. No driver's unless you want one in the open-cockpit designs and detailed hulls to worry about plus the freedom to dress it up any way that you like. They're very fun and fast also.

There is this one: http://www.blazermarine.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1. Brian's boats are very competitive around here in all sizes. I looked through one of the manuals at a race and appeared to be very thorough.
It comes down to if you want to built from a wood kit or something in fiberglass or epoxy-glas.
There may be more but those are the ones that I have right off-hand.

Last edited:
2 questions then and I guess one I can look up my self but can you close in the cockpit for a sport model like if I close it in and make a window ect. And still be legal as well as the one I can look up but I'll say it anyways what's the difference between fiberglass and epoxy glass I know fiberglass is reason and hardener

Nvm i just Loken at the site I see there are closed cockpit ones so I guess I can ask am I aloud to mod the body to have a wing ect. Cause those I don't see

And sorry i know I'm probably a pain in the a $$ with all my question on this subject. But ty for it all

Oh, sure, you can do that!
Fiberglass hulls will be gel-coated in white or some offer them in colors. Epoxy-glas hulls are lighter but no gel-coating plus there's always pin-holes that need to be filled.
If you're good with wood and have the clamps and other things needed plus the time then it's a good way to go. Me, I can't glue a pile of sawdust together or so it seems at times. Epoxy-glas with all of the pin-holes need to be filled and when sanding, done carefully so that you don't open up any more. You can use thinned Dap spackling for the filler then a Scotch-Brite pad for sanding.
You'll find that certain parts of the country prefer certain hulls. Here in the upper midwest it's the Phil Thomas and Brian Blazer hulls as this is their neck of the woods.

So basicly I can take whatever hull and mod it how I want and it won't matter add wings and maybe make the boats shape different ect. Sorry I'm a big mod person I like to modify stuff to my likings at the same time I like to compete

Read the rules, they'll tell you what you can and can not do.
Personally I wouldn't as those mod's if not done to enhance handling are just dead weight.

Let's go back to the Miss Vegas/Deuce for a second. The rear wing weighs 4oz. or 1/4-pound, either way that you want to look at it. On a boat that small, that seemingly little amount can make a big difference in the ride of the hull for the better but the RTR rules state that if the boat came that way from the factory, it has to stay on for competition.

Got ya I'm gunna go with the sport 20 model from the site said earlyer 95$ plus the 55$ for the top idk what the mass epoxy meens or I'd maybe add it

Ok cool from what I read everything I'd maybe do to the hull is legal

Brian Blazer's? MAS epoxy is the glue you'd need. You could use cheaper but that's the best. Use it for gluing first then thin it with mineral spirits for sealing the wood. the ML hydro's are supposed ot be really nice also. A friend of mine was building 3 of them the last time that I was at his house.
I've known Brian for many years but it won't get you a discount! :D

Wouldn't ask man your help has been more than enough so I can thin out the epoxy an use it as a full body coating? For a b4 paint or decal finish and what's mineral spirits is that a odd way to say alcohol lol

Yes. To get light coats you can scrape off the excess using some thing like an old credit card. I save those ones that come in the mail for such occassions. You can also wipe it off with a paper towel. Yes, I've done it and it works although I had my reservations about it. You just want to do it before it starts to get tacky.

Sounds good altho I may do it but I was thinking thin fiberglass mesh with a little reason hardener mix to cover it then a thin layer of gel coat I have all the stuff there to do the job it will add a eater proof seal ..also strength and can be painted up nicely with out adding much weight at all ...what's Ur thought on that idea

Don't over-think this. When you get the kit, do as Brian says. He and his dad have put a lot of these together.

Ok can do I'll just order the full package and go from there but ty again for getting me set on the direction I wanted to go and helping me to get into the right kind of boat as well for me