Can you put a pullsatrt on a non pullstart engine?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninnon

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello again, I have recently been looking at a Novarossi P5-XLT .21 Engine and in I can clearly see that it doesn't have a pull start. Would I need to buy a start box, or can I just take of the back plate and fit a pull start?

You would need a crankshaft made for a pull start (if they make one), new backplate and the pull start. It's cheaper to buy the bump box or just buy a pull start engine.

Bumpstart is the cheapest option, what vehicle are you planning on putting it in.

I'm pretty sure there is no pull start available for that particular engine. Before you buy your engine, make sure your chassis plate has an adequate flywheel access cut out.

I'm pretty sure there is no pull start available for that particular engine. Before you buy your engine, make sure your chassis plate has an adequate flywheel access cut out.
thanks for your help but I am upgrading to a novarossi p5xlt, which doesn't have a pull start.

you can also use a electric starter which is the best option as well .

you can also use a electric starter which is the best option as well .

Bump boxes can be a pain, i know mine can be at least. I just might switch to the rotary electric starter. My engine was originally pull start but it wouldn't fit my chassis. So i cut the end of the crankshaft and replaced the backplate to use the starter box.

I would not recommend to cut the crankshaft as a non experienced person can damage the engine !

I would not recommend to cut the crankshaft as a non experienced person can damage the engine !

Yes definitely, should have said as much. In this case it was just the bit that the crank arm rides on, it extended a bit past to hook up with the pull start assembly and plate which I needed to replace that with the non pull start plate. Measured, cut it, and ground it smooth.

Yes definitely, should have said as much. In this case it was just the bit that the crank arm rides on, it extended a bit past to hook up with the pull start assembly and plate which I needed to replace that with the non pull start plate. Measured, cut it, and ground it smooth.
Agreed, I don't have much to blow on a new engine if I screw up!