brand new or barley used engine ??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlou069

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i need some advice, I'm planning on ordering a sh .28 engine off eBay for somewere arround 120-150$, but i just got offerd by some guy i no to sell me his kyosho with a brand new sh .28 engine for only 175$ only burnt about 10 tanks after it got broken in... i never broke in a engine but it doesn't sound complicated just long.... what would be better ????

When I buy a used nitro rc I expect to replace the engine regardless of what the previous owner says unless it's someone I know really well in the RC comunity and I trust that they know what they are doing

I would buy the new engine, if you follow the directions it's not hard and doesn't take long

I usually don't tell folks how to spend their money, but 150 for an sh is too much. 100 max. A big ted dynamite can be had for a buck n a half!

...big red... not big ted

Last edited:
I personally don't buy used rc engines. $150 for a used engine is way too expensive. I would say $75 max for a used engine if you wanted to take the gamble.

the sh engine on eBay at 150 is brand new not used sorry if i mispelled or typed it wrong
but if 150 is to much for a sh engine whats a good engine for 150$ please keep in mind I'm in canada so prices are a lil higher then the stats !!!!

When I buy a used nitro rc I expect to replace the engine regardless of what the previous owner says unless it's someone I know really well in the RC comunity and I trust that they know what they are doing

I would buy the new engine, if you follow the directions it's not hard and doesn't take long
i got a question for u not relative to this post... why do i go threw one way bearings so fast ??? like eventually they dont grab on so i take em out and clean it and it works good again for a week or so then i got to redo the process...... i even tryed with a brand new one way bearing n it does pretty much the same thing ....

i got a question for u not relative to this post... why do i go threw one way bearings so fast ??? like eventually they dont grab on so i take em out and clean it and it works good again for a week or so then i got to redo the process...... i even tryed with a brand new one way bearing n it does pretty much the same thing ....

Sounds like you have some fuel seepage somewhere. Could be the backplate isn't completely sealed or could be seepage between the backplate bushing and one way starter shaft.

Where in Canada are you located? Hobby Hobby and Great Hobbies have good boxing day sales, Great Hobbies also has free shipping on anything over a $100.

You may also need to replace the start shaft if your going through OWBs so fast, especially if they aren't sopping wet with oil.

You may also need to replace the start shaft if your going through OWBs so fast, especially if they aren't sopping wet with oil.
I'm buying a engine that comes with a crank so the start shaft will also b new with a new one way bearing

$175 for a Kyosho kit with only 10 tanks through it after break-in could potentially be a really good deal, the question is, Do you have any need/want for the kit itself other than the engine. Can you trust the guy thats offering it to you that it really only has had 10 tanks through it. Can you trust that he hasnt FUBAR'd it somehow after only 10 tanks and now hes just looking to dump the problem on someone else? These are some of the things that I always worry about when buying used kits. Most of the time for me the answer to most if not all of those questiosn is "No" and that is usually why I dont buy used kits. If I do buy used its usually off of people that have very high seller ratings on forums or the kits are just so cheap its hard to go wrong even if half the kit need replaced.

If your a budget kind of guy with not much to spend I would buy the complete Kyosho one Instead of a new engine, But its all up to you really, that's just my personal preference as I can never fill my room with enough RC cars.