My fuel tank mod.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootr

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey peeps. Just banged this up. Its an Ofna X3 sabre tank. Let me know what you guys think.
I'm hoping it will solve htl.

Attachments

• 20141220_080135.jpeg
    20141220_080135.jpeg
    498.5 KB · Views: 842
  • 20141220_080147.jpeg
    20141220_080147.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 546
  • 20141220_080310.jpeg
    20141220_080310.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 576
Nice mod , I did something similar
100_2553-1.jpg

Last edited:
Don't want to high jack his thread so Pic's sent to Conversation

All good I don't mind. The more the merrier. It took me ages to find enough pics to give me an idea of what I want lol.
This is working really great for me. Runs full to empty and doesn't lean out. I used some 2 mm aluminum that I bended, cut and painted black.

body fits with no problems with side crash damageng tank stickling on the side maysbe sure but no.

OK 3mm Chassis Plates? Aluminum Body Shocks? How does this solve the HTL issue? as a very near future Savage owner Please fill me in.
Its not the thickness of the chassis or the material the shocks are made of, it's height and shape of the fuel tank. A lower profile buggy style tank with internal baffles are less prone to cause a HTL issue. The center of gravity is also lower with a low profile tank.
I'm not familiar with Savages but I know Tmaxx's are notorious for HTL issues with their badly designed high profile tank. Its encouraged to tune with half a tank of fuel or less or better yet replace the tank with a lower profile tank as posted earlier

OK 3mm Chassis Plates? Aluminum Body Shocks? How does this solve the HTL issue? as a very near future Savage owner Please fill me in.

The tank is a very uniform rectangle from top to bottom. Also, with the orientation of it on the savage as I have it, the fuel pick is at the back of the tank.
I tried a few other tanks, but they all ended up as front tank pickup, so I had issues with them and went back to the smaller 125cc OFNA tank. $10 tank, lasts forever and keeps consistent tune from full to empty. I tried a buggy tank that fit, can't recall which, the MGT tank which had more air leaks in it than a sock, the HPI tank with the uniflow mod, got tired of backflooding fuel into the pipe when I didn't run it dry and annoyed by the tank being in the way when starting, so ended up back on the 125cc tank. If I could find one a bit taller that held 150cc, I'd go for it, but I haven't found one yet I liked that fit in the spot well enough and was a rear pickup.

The shocks are the plastic big bores. I can't recall the oil/springs I have, but I do like the setup, heavier oil/springs than the flux they came from, got them on ebay from a flux tear down. I bought the truck as a typical savage-x that had very little use from a guy that ran the engine ragged, but grew tired of the HPI engine very quickly. I ended up putting in BP diffs and the HD outer dogs along with the HPI steel spur. Still using standard center dogs though. I also run an LST2 HT pipe on it. It's quieter than the HPI savage pipes and gives good power with the LRP28S3 I have in it.