info on motors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwkbrandt88

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hey guys I'm new to rc buggies and just wondering what would be a good setup to start out with. I currently have a RB one limited edition V2 chassis. Now I need the rest haha any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Being new to nitro I would worry that your going to struggle with tuning and that could lead to a short lifespan for your engine. With that in mind what's your budget?

Being new to nitro I would worry that your going to struggle with tuning and that could lead to a short lifespan for your engine. With that in mind what's your budget?
Well I got some guys at work that kinda know how to tune but they've never tuned for like racing idk if that matters but I know dirtbike engines and tuning those but rc cars not so much. And my budget it's kinda in the air honestly haha

The price range is too wide to guess at it. I sugest you go to the trace and see what others are running, this will give you an idea of how much you need/want to spend. Oh and tuning a gas two stroke is a lot easier than tuning these little nitro engines, the nitro is a lot more sensitive to needle adjustments and weather but your knowledge of gas engines should make learning nitro a little easier

Herse a little something on tuning from someone who knows about nitro engines!
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/rc-nitro-engine-performance-tuning.102688/

The price range is too wide to guess at it. I sugest you go to the trace and see what others are running, this will give you an idea of how much you need/want to spend. Oh and tuning a gas two stroke is a lot easier than tuning these little nitro engines, the nitro is a lot more sensitive to needle adjustments and weather but your knowledge of gas engines should make learning nitro a little easier

Herse a little something on tuning from someone who knows about nitro engines!
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/rc-nitro-engine-performance-tuning.102688/
Yeah I know the price range is very wide haha I just want a nice reliable motor and just see what happens I'm all about trial and error I gotta learn from my mistakes haha and thanks for that info on tunning

i ran a couple of Werks engines a long gime ago in an old Ofna buggy and I loved them, I'm also a fan of their pipes! I'm not saying this is the engine you need or should buy but if I wanted a nice budget race engine to put in a buggy this is what I would buy. there are nicer stronger options but for a first timer I think a budget engine that can race would be a good start.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBNTG&P=SM

i ran a couple of Werks engines a long gime ago in an old Ofna buggy and I loved them, I'm also a fan of their pipes! I'm not saying this is the engine you need or should buy but if I wanted a nice budget race engine to put in a buggy this is what I would buy. there are nicer stronger options but for a first timer I think a budget engine that can race would be a good start.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBNTG&P=SM
Yeah that's pretty much all I'm looking for is good start engine and that motor you just showed me is a decent price I could do that for sure. Thanks

If I were racing or just wanted a high performance engine I would look at Novarossi, Werks, Picco, or maybe LRP and then for a buggy Id choose the highest RPM .21 engine that I could find in my price range. However being new to nitro I would look for something pretty cheap like maybe an SH, OFNA, lower end LRP, Dynamite, or practically any brand really to just learn with. Find one you think looks nice and is in your price range and then post it up and see what people think about it.

I would like to throw the Dynamite Mach 2 .21 SG out there. Very good engine for the price. Can be had for under $100 new occasionally, typically $130. My suggestion since its your first nitro engine. When the Mach 2 goes, upgrade. You won't be disappointed with the Mach 2 and if you happen to destroy it really fast it won't be as painful as say destroying a top tier Nova or O.S. Etc... You can actually look at the specs for each engine your interested in. For example the Mach 2 produces 2.4hp at 33,000 rmp's. The O.S. 2.63 at 34,000. LRP 2.93hp but doesn't give the rpm's to achieve that power output. Nova doesn't tell you max HP, at least not that I could find, but it produces its max power output at 37,200 rpm's. Werks B2 exact same HP and rpm specs as the Mach 2. Those are the top engines from O.S. , LRP and Novarossi. Aside from the power differences the quality of the parts are definitely going to be better in the higher end engines but they're also running at just about the limit for these mills.

Toss in an ofna force for your first mill,..cheap,reliable,and plenty of them,afterward upgrade to a better mill,if you screw up the lifespan or even destroy it no biggie

Last edited:
I would like to throw the Dynamite Mach 2 .21 SG out there. Very good engine for the price. Can be had for under $100 new occasionally, typically $130. My suggestion since its your first nitro engine. When the Mach 2 goes, upgrade. You won't be disappointed with the Mach 2 and if you happen to destroy it really fast it won't be as painful as say destroying a top tier Nova or O.S. Etc... You can actually look at the specs for each engine your interested in. For example the Mach 2 produces 2.4hp at 33,000 rmp's. The O.S. 2.63 at 34,000. LRP 2.93hp but doesn't give the rpm's to achieve that power output. Nova doesn't tell you max HP, at least not that I could find, but it produces its max power output at 37,200 rpm's. Werks B2 exact same HP and rpm specs as the Mach 2. Those are the top engines from O.S. , LRP and Novarossi. Aside from the power differences the quality of the parts are definitely going to be better in the higher end engines but they're also running at just about the limit for these mills.
Just as a side note, I wouldnt pay to much attention to HP ratings unless you are comparing engines from the same company as every engine manufacturer out there calculates their engines HP using different methods so trying to compare HP across different manufacturers wont really paint a reliable comparison. If you just want an engine for bashing then HP and RPMs dont really matter all that much and if you're buying a high quality engine then I usually just buy a reliable brand and I look for high RPM .21's for buggies and smaller lighter kits and for big heavy kits I just try to find a .28 that is a known quality engine with lots of torque which is probably gonna be just about any .28 from a high end brand like the ones mentioned above. Some people like to put .30s or .32s in their kits but I feel that .28s are a bit faster and still have more than enough torque. I put an O.S. .30VG in my XXL once and while it did have monster torque I felt like my Picco P3 .28 was actually faster. Now if we had more gearing options for nitros so we could gear them taller, or if you just prefer the monster torque over speed, then I could see using a .30 or .32 cuz you could actually put that extra torque to better use. Just my .02 on it.

Just as a side note, I wouldnt pay to much attention to HP ratings unless you are comparing engines from the same company as every engine manufacturer out there calculates their engines HP using different methods so trying to compare HP across different manufacturers wont really paint a reliable comparison. If you just want an engine for bashing then HP and RPMs dont really matter all that much...
Good point about racing vs bashing. I do have to admit I'm a bit biased towards racing. I can't comment on the HP ratings but I was thinking they would use similar methods to figure that out...guess not. Lol Do they make little rc dynos? That would be sick! :celebrate:

Good point about racing vs bashing. I do have to admit I'm a bit biased towards racing. I can't comment on the HP ratings but I was thinking they would use similar methods to figure that out...guess not. Lol Do they make little rc dynos? That would be sick! :celebrate:
I'm not completely sure how they go about testing for HP, I just know that most of the stuff you read on the internet and other forums all say that you can't compare HP between manufacturers. I think its kinda like everything else in the retail world where manufacturers always try to find the absolute best case scenario that isnt achievable in the real world in order to come up with an HP number and ever manufacturer is going to use a different best case scenario thereby making the results not really mean much unless you're comparing engines from the same manufacturer.

As for RC Dynos. people have built quite a few various home made ones :)
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RC+Dyno

Yeah whatever happened to the X-Dyno for rc nitro engines?

Just found that.