Getting back into the sport

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm250

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So as the heading says I'm getting back into the sport of nitro RC. I have been out of it for probably 5 years or so. I origanally got out of it because I was a broke school boy and now I have a decent job and I want an rc again. I had a 2.5 Maxx before with the old style radio (no opti drive). My question therefore are what are the advantages to the opti-drive, if any? What has traxxas done differently in the past few years? What is the going price for a T-maxx? And any other information you have is greatly apprecitated! Thanks.

Optidrive is to keep you from putting it in reverse while you are driving forward. Personally it's a bad design. I removed mine and did forward only conversion's. T maxx 2.5 new is around $399 the 3.3 is somewhere around $499.

I have a lead on a traxxas sport maxx, it is still a 2wd drive it doesn't bother me its not 4wd I will put 4wd in myself, it has a 2.5 engine and all the electronics. The guy says it will need tires and thats it. I have a couple question, its been sitting for a couple years and my question would the engine still be good, if I remember correctly the engines don't like to sit for extended periods of time so would I need a new engine. Secondly he said 100$ for it as it sits right now would that be worth it?

See if you can turn the flywheel by hand. If it turns and you feel compression, you can salvage the engine. Don't let him know that, but remind him that it hasn't run in a long time and you don't know what you'll run into. Offer him $80 and he'll probably take it. Let him hem and haw, but if he'll only do the C note, you're still good.
Right out of the box these things need constant work, so be prepared for that. Whatever you run into along the way, we'll help you out with it.

So if I could pick that s-maxx up for 100 or less I would be getting a decent deal? I know they are out dated and what not but am I going to be better off passing this one up? My previous t-maxx that I had and sold I bought that one used and was chasing my tail all the time fix stuff, part of me is almost thinking about just saving my money and buying a brand new 3.3? I am torn what to do?

How hard you bash determines how much you fix. That's the rule with ALL of these. If you're willing to hold off and save up, I'd recommend going for the Revo.

If I were interested in a used Maxx I would give $100 for it. The best thing about an smaxx is the tranny doesn't have reverse so you don't have to worry about buying the forward only conversion (FOC).

If you can afford new that will always be my choice but that's a fair price for that rig IMO. As with all used nitros be prepared to replace the engine, you can score a new 3.3 for $100

There was a REALLY nice classic maxx on ebay. I got beat out of it at the last minute by some kid runnin the price up (I think) The boy could not pay for it, so the seller contacted me to see if I wanted it. I already bought a different truck or else it would be on its way to my house. I can contact them if you want me to. Thing was super clean.. They might have relisted it. I will check.

Back