hpi nitro star T3.0 engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B2P

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi,

I reacently mounted the hpi nitro star t3.0 engine on my tamiya tg10 mk2 car, It ran quit good for a while, but I now have trouble with acceleration. It seems that the engine is running but the wheel isnt turning, even when I do full throttle It doesn't go forward and is not spinning. I had this problem twice also with my older engine from the tamiya tg10. Can anyone help me? everything is rightly mounted and the pilot nut is on tight I just can't seem to find the problem, Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Bram Pietersen

Your tires are not turning or your clutch bell is not turning? If its your tires not spinning or not moving when you rev the motor sounds like your slipper clutch. If it's the clutch bell not turning sounds like the nut is loose behind the clutch bell.

Yess exactly, the clutch bell isnt turning, but the problem is the nut is tight as what, so i dont understand it, greatings Bram

Hmm you got me. If the flywheel is tight and the nut is tight I'm stumped myself. If your clutch shoes were bad all it would do is turn. It may possibly be the bearings in the cb but I'm not 100% that would cause that issue either. Let me know what it is when you figure it out.

I would start by taking the entire clutch and flywheel assembly off the engine and inspecting it all.

You did put the cone on the crankshaft first before putting the flywheel on correct?
The flywheel is tight on the engines crankshaft correct & you can turn the engine over by hand by turning the flywheel?

You did put the cone on the crankshaft first before putting the flywheel on correct?
The flywheel is tight on the engines crankshaft correct & you can turn the engine over by hand by turning the flywheel?

Good thinking nitro. That has got to be the issue. Without the cone the flywheel would be sloppy too.

Hmm you got me. If the flywheel is tight and the nut is tight I'm stumped myself. If your clutch shoes were bad all it would do is turn. It may possibly be the bearings in the cb but I'm not 100% that would cause that issue either. Let me know what it is when you figure it out.
Allright thanks I look into it,

I try to understand it all first my english isnt that good, but i will look at the posts then ill try

I first need to know what a cone is before i can do anything than i can look at it, my english isnt good enough on technical terms, but i will look at it thanks,

Kind regards,

Bram Pietersen

I try to understand it all first my english isnt that good, but i will look at the posts then ill try

I first need to know what a cone is before i can do anything than i can look at it, my english isnt good enough on technical terms, but i will look at it thanks,

Kind regards,

Bram Pietersen
Allright i know now what a cone is, exactly, but i believe it was an engine without a cone so i put on the flywheel directly or otherwise it didnt fit at all

Kind regards,

Bram Pietersen

Allright i know now what a cone is, exactly, but i believe it was an engine without a cone so i put on the flywheel directly or otherwise it didnt fit at all

Last edited:
Good thinking nitro. That has got to be the issue. Without the cone the flywheel would be sloppy too.
Yess i can still turn the flywheel by gand but i dont have the cone installed

Kind regards,

Bram Pietersen

Yess indeed the cone was not on, but else i can't get my flywheel on i know cause with my stock engine this was also the case bit i can still move the flywheel by hand..

That cone is called a "collet" and you have to have it on there in order for the flywheel to work properly. If it doesn't fit with it on there then you must have mixed and matched clutch pieces. You need to look up the exact pieces for the clutch that your kit uses and make sure you have all the recommended pieces right down to the Shims.

That cone is called a "collet" and you have to have it on there in order for the flywheel to work properly. If it doesn't fit with it on there then you must have mixed and matched clutch pieces. You need to look up the exact pieces for the clutch that your kit uses and make sure you have all the recommended pieces right down to the Shims.
Right allright, ill look into it,
Kind regards, Bram Pietersen

I could not for the life of me remember it was called a collet the night I posted that! :)

Looking at the manual for it you are supposed to have a collet on the crankshaft.
Tamiya pt#51133 for the stock clutch.
Below is the manual, look at the bottom of page 19, it's marked ME16.
http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/tg10mk2.pdf

Without the collet you cannot get the nut tight enough to keep the flywheel from spinning on the crankshaft.

Below is a link with a picture.
http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-51133-racing-clutch-flywheelcollet-p-10557.html

I could not for the life of me remember it was called a collet the night I posted that! :)

Looking at the manual for it you are supposed to have a collet on the crankshaft.
Tamiya pt#51133 for the stock clutch.
Below is the manual, look at the bottom of page 19, it's marked ME16.
http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/tg10mk2.pdf

Without the collet you cannot get the nut tight enough to keep the flywheel from spinning on the crankshaft.

Below is a link with a picture.
http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-51133-racing-clutch-flywheelcollet-p-10557.html
Yess allright, i know its supppsed to have the collet on the crank, but I have an older version of the tg10 mk2 that was without a collet, but thanks for looking up ill try to find the right flywheel for this engine with collet, thankss for looking up,

Kind regards

Bram Pietersem

Thanks guys,

Ill let you know when it works and if it runs properly,

Kind regards,

Bram Pietersen

PS look at my new inferno gt2 ceptor its very nice..under electric talk and paint and body, thanks:)

hee,

I wanned to say I fixed the problem, i9t was indeed the flywheel, this was broken, I ordered the right parts forr the T3.0 engione and it runs again,I couldnt find the parts for my old tamiya motor so I was compelled to buy the new parts for this engine, Thanks for the help

Kind Regards,

Bram Pietersen

Back